Post-Game Talk: Pens 6 - Oil 5

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
2.5 million for a backup. Play the guy.

Talbot cost the game.

Preach. This is the truth of the situation. We have a backup being paid like a 1B, its time to figure out what we have with him. It's pretty clear that we likely won't be bringing Talbot back as a UFA next year (or at least we shouldn't be), so we might as well find out what we have riding the bench.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Take a step back from the ledge buddy. Y u heft to be so mad ?
I use curse words to emphasize my displeasure and it's not like its been a handful of games Mclellan has coached towards losses sooooooooooo.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Talbot is not the guy. The big problem is that elite goalies are nearly impossible to acquire... Might be best to re-sign Talbot to a backup deal (since he has looked like a backup goalie for over a year now) and bring in a goalie who can split games.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah that OT goal is not on Talbot. OT goals like that happen now, as you said. But he let in two unbelievably bad goals. We win this game handily with pretty much any other goalie in the league in our net. Talbot was a travesty.
I wouldn't blame Talbot for that goal either but he was in no position for even try and save it. No urgency nothing. Just a weak glove attempt.

Wouldn't of changed much, Crosby would of probably still scores but after the game Talbot had, seeing him not even put effort into trying to save it was painful

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Good effort by the team. I thought the team played pretty well despite the score. Gave me some hope that this team can play fast.

Talbot wasnt good in this game though. Some of the goals werent his fault but at some point he needs to make some saves. I blame the coach though, I dont think he can read his goaltenders at all and put them in good situations. I think Talbot needs someone to push him and Koskinen hasnt even got an opportunity. Next game Koskinen will probably be tossed out against the Capitals, with him being rusty and left for dead.

I liked the forwards for the most part. This is the first game I can remember where the first, second and third line all played well.

I thought McDavid, Draisaitl, Chiasson, Yamamoto, Rieder, Lucic, Strome were all pretty solid tonight. Was pretty impressed with Marody.

Brodziak and Kassian werent good tonight. They cost the Oilers a lot of goals (along with Talbot). But once again I dont think McLellan adjusted well. It wasnt their night and he kept putting them out.

Liked Gravel much better than Garisson. I think TM needs to manage his bench better. Has to find some playtime for Bouchard and Gravel. Cant play them 8-10 minutes a game while Klefbom plays 28 minutes. McDavid played 28 minutes in a game where the 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines looked pretty good. I just dont think its necessary tbh.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This game was a treat to watch. You all can get all the pitchforks out if you'd like but I enjoyed that game immensely and am not mad at all about the result. Lots of positives IMO.

Same. The rest of the team around McDavid finally showed up! Hell of game. Not mad at all.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Todd needs to cut down on some of his player usage, some of its stupid too, like does McDavid really need to be out at the end of a PK?

I get we're not the deepest team, but this could be a problem later in the season playing so many minutes.

Reactions: Cypress and ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Also, I want Koskinen to play next game, but that could either go really well or really badly against Ovi, Kuzy, Oshie, Carlson, and co. Don't want him getting lit up playing his first game against an offensive powerhouse like the Caps, but it's time to put him in.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Talbot made a great save 30 seconds into overtime but we should not have got to that point. We outshot them and were the better team. Talbot literally needed to make one big save in regulation, that’s it.

Murray made several big saves for the Pens. Swap the goalies and we likely win this game 8-3 or something. Talbot needs to be better.

I wouldn’t even start him next game but it’s Washington and don’t think Oilers will go with Koskinen for that one.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Really hoping Koskinen steps it up and steals the starter from Talbot. He's way too Jekyll and Hyde to be an NHL starter.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Crosby made Strome his ***** and Nurse wasn't close enough to help. I really don't like Strome being out in overtime. Not good enough on offense, not good enough defensively, not fast enough to make things happen. Unfortunately the other options aren't great. I'd prefer Rieder though.

Yamamoto should have been out there. He was great all game and would excel in open ice.

Reactions: Laodongxi

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
You all would have laughed me out of here if I said we would be 3-3-1 about midway through that Jets game.

It sucks that we didn't get the extra point, but I'm still happy with the effort of most of the team. We can build from this.

What, did you guys think this team you've all been tearing apart all summer was actually going to be like 5-1-1 to start the season? I seem to remember a lot of people predicting we would have less wins then we already do in our first ten games.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Can we get Bouchard back to London already? Played under 9 mins.

I didn't mind Gravel actually...

Draisaitl's best game by far.

Yeah, I like Bouchard, and think he's going to be solid for us moving forward, but its pretty clear that the coaches don't trust him. Bring Bear back up and send Bouchard back to junior. We don't want to have to expose him in the Seattle expansion draft, and it's not like we're making the playoffs this year anyhow.

Reactions: snipes and ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->