Post-Game Talk: Pens 6 - Oil 5

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I'll take the point though, not upset at the result. Should have been a win if Talbot matched Murray

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Pretty simple, we needed a couple saves. We did not get them.

Finally get secondary scoring and the guy leading the charge taken out by a puck to the face.....like seriously wtf.

A good complete game with decent goaltending, decent secondary support, decent defense with mcdavid being mcdavid would probably be enough for at least a bubble playoff team.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is what happens when you have a negligent moron behind the bench. So many I mean soooooooooooo many points during the 2nd and 3rd it was obvious Talbot should have been pulled but nope and the game winner is just absolute trash how he missed that in that tight is beyond words. Hey ****tard behind the bench you have a 2 million dollar back up who hasn't played a ****ing minute stop playing the .900 goalie or resign you *******.

I was screaming that he needed to get pulled after the 3rd goal. Any idiot with half a brain could see it. We win that game walking away with even average tending. Idiocy to keep him in the game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
This is what happens when you have a negligent moron behind the bench. So many I mean soooooooooooo many points during the 2nd and 3rd it was obvious Talbot should have been pulled but nope and the game winner is just absolute trash how he missed that in that tight is beyond words. Hey ****tard behind the bench you have a 2 million dollar back up who hasn't played a ****ing minute stop playing the .900 goalie or resign you *******.
Take a step back from the ledge buddy. Y u heft to be so mad ?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wow.... what's worse, Strome getting jockstrapped during 3 on 3 ot ? Talbot just in absolute sieve mode or McLellan for even putting Strome out during OT against the likes of Crosby, Kessel,Malkin, Letang. Never learn Oilers.
Strome almost ended it for us on the prior rush. I'm not going to grill the guy for getting walked by Sidney Crosby. He would've stripped him on the follow up had that been anyone other than Crosby, who is god-like when it comes to puck protection..

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
Defense was pretty good on our end. Talbot was not good. The pens are so deep. Kessel is such a wild card. It would be like us having Hall still. Was a very entertaining game. Can't be too mad with the loss. Still playing .500 and looking better.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It sucks that this was easily the best game the Oilers played all season and Talbot didn't even show up.

I agree but I'm focusing on the positives of which there were many. If they can carry this into future (big if of course) and it could be a fun year.

As a hockey fan, this was as good as it gets and is the way hockey should be played. This must be what it's like to watch the Leafs on a daily basis.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Crosby made Strome his Bitch and Nurse wasn't close enough to help. I really don't like Strome being out in overtime. Not good enough on offense, not good enough defensively, not fast enough to make things happen. Unfortunately the other options aren't great. I'd prefer Rieder though.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Talbot is a huge issue, but so is our defence overall.

Love the secondary scoring tonight but that isn't going to win us games. Look how good Nashville is. The modern NHL is all about defence. Quick recovery and outlet passes are everything and we have one defenceman (who is 6 games into his NHL career) who is capable of making one.

We will never be a serious contender without a true #1. Not even close IMO.

Weird mentality considering the way the last couple years have gone in the playoffs. Pittsburg won the cup without a #1, how'd Nashville do with the best defense in the league last season?

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I’ll reiterate what I said after last game. Unless BOTH McDavid and Talbot are on their games, it’s most likely gonna be a loss. McDavid was good tonight, Talbot was much less so.
Except for the fact Mcdavid only factored in on 2 of 5 goals.....Any team with a goalie who continually puts up a 900 save percentage or worse per game isn't going to win a ton of games. Murray stopped like 5 or 6 grade A chances in that 2nd before we potted our first 2 and Talbot is over there allowing 3 on 5 shots and people want to blame the defence instead of the guy in net.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not even mad. First entertaining game of the season for all 3 periods and OT.

You can't give Pittsburgh an inch even when you outplay them for most of the game.

McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom were good, Chiasson probably played the game of his life.

Nurse Russell pairing got a bit exposed.

I think Talbot was at fault for 2 goals, but the rest ... especially that OT goal, that's just a great player doing a great thing with a forward as the primary defender in 3 on 3. It happens.

Yeah that OT goal is not on Talbot. OT goals like that happen now, as you said. But he let in two unbelievably bad goals. We win this game handily with pretty much any other goalie in the league in our net. Talbot was a travesty.

Reactions: ujju2 and Mez

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Wow.... what's worse, Strome getting jockstrapped during 3 on 3 ot ? Talbot just in absolute sieve mode or McLellan for even putting Strome out during OT against the likes of Crosby, Kessel,Malkin, Letang. Never learn Oilers.

OT is all about speed and TM puts one of our slowest skaters in Strome out on the ice. You follow Draisaitl/Mcdavid/Klefbom with RNH/Nurse and one of Yamamoto/JP/Reider, then you go back to Mcdavid/Draisaitl/Klefbom. Bad coaching decision by TM.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The problem is we only look good when we ride our horses and they'll give out over the season this way. McDavid played 28 and a half minutes !!

We need to find a way to put together a 4th line that can play 8 minutes without going -2.

Also just send Bouchard down if he's not gonna play.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Watch as Talbot rebounds against some crappy team. He looked like he had no idea where the puck was going all night.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Beauty by Crosby. Should have had that game, so I'm a bit disappointed, but that was still really fun to watch. Seems like every game between these two teams is. Funny how we're just hanging on to that .500 record. I don't think Talbot was necessarily at fault, but I think Soliloquy of a Dogge put it best when he called him decidedly average. Murray on the other hand was above average, and that was the difference. Lots of positives from this game though:
- Draisaitl getting hot. This is critical to the success of this team.
- Secondary scoring. Chiasson for the Rocket Richard, anyone? Also, Marody fit right in with a solid debut.
- Gravel > Garisson & Benning. Pretty low bar, but still, Gravel seemed decent enough.
- Chemistry on all 4 lines. This is the biggest one. All 4 forward lines looked good and meshed well. I'd keep them the same for next game, although it means scratching Khaira for another game. It's nice to have that bottom-6 competition with Khaira and an injured Caggiula still out of the lineup, not to mention Rattie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad