Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Preds 2: Pens Continue to Earneditz

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Things keep rolling along. Goals seem like a matter of time more than anything else right now. Preds weren't bad but we played a good all around game again. Just gotta keep winning. It's still tight, but I think a top 4 seed is in our future.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Strong game from Sheary and the Kessel line.

Call me crazy, but I think Sheary should move to LW on Sid's line. The few moments they were out there last night, that lined seemed close to dominating, they just kept getting a few bad breaks.

Edit... it was when Sid was with Bennett and Sheary. Maybe that's the ideal number one line.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
This team is really impressing me, I mean just 2 months ago people wanted this team to miss the playoffs and tank, now since the change of coach and the couple trades JR has made, we're the 3rd best team in differential in the entire league and the team is peeking at the right time. I really like our chances this year if we can continue like this and have solid goaltending in the playoffs, we could come out of the East.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
This team is really impressing me, I mean just 2 months ago people wanted this team to miss the playoffs and tank, now since the change of coach and the couple trades JR has made, we're the 3rd best team in differential in the entire league and the team is peeking at the right time. I really like our chances this year if we can continue like this and have solid goaltending in the playoffs, we could come out of the East.

People were calling for this coaching change long before it was made....it's a shame it took so long.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
If Sullivan doesn't get a nom for the Jack Adams, its a ****ing crime. Maybe he wins, maybe he doesn't. But he absolutely deserves some consideration.

This team was utter ******* for the start of the season. They were just so awful. The turnaround has been nothing short of spectacular.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The Kessel hate will return as soon as he has a bad game. People just like to hate Phil Kessel. He certainly deserved a healthy dose of criticism for his play before his resurgance, but his critics took the whole thing beyond hockey.

We had people calling him fat like some superficial high school idiots. We had people saying he has no endurance yet he plays with an athletic freak like Hagelin. Honestly, anybody who went beyond hockey in their discussion of Kessel ought to be ashamed of themselves. It was immature and stupid.

Funny to think that if some folks had their way, Crosby wouldn't be the captain, and Geno, Letang, Bonino, Fleury, Hornqvist and Kessel would have all been traded.:sarcasm:

People talked about all kinds of trades earlier to fix this roster, I don't think any of talk was out of the realm that should have been considered.

I still don't think Horny is an ideal fit with either Sid or Geno and I would look to move him this offseason. I know he is a warrior, it's not about him....... but

Let's look at this team right now and how it's played with Geno out. Now imagine you trade Geno for X + 1st round pick. Kunitz is also bought out, now look at your lineup for next season. You probably open up 7-8 million in cap space and you add two players to the current lineup who are a more ideal fit.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
People talked about all kinds of trades earlier to fix this roster, I don't think any of talk was out of the realm that should have been considered.

I still don't think Horny is an ideal fit with either Sid or Geno and I would look to move him this offseason. I know he is a warrior, it's not about him....... but
......then they will find your body floating down the Ohio. .......before anyone gets to see the upside.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Let's look at this team right now and how it's played with Geno out. Now imagine you trade Geno for X + 1st round pick. Kunitz is also bought out, now look at your lineup for next season. You probably open up 7-8 million in cap space and you add two players to the current lineup who are a more ideal fit.
Cap space is great in theory but absolutely nobody that we could come up with will be more valuable or better than Malkin.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
The Perron for a 1st was such an awful trade, but trading Perron for Hagelin more than made up for it.

Think about it: we got rid of a guy who was not working here and and pending UFA for Carl HAGELIN, signed for 3 more years!

Too bad we couldn't trade Lovejoy for someone good, like we did with Sucderi and Perron.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA

:facepalm:

You are like a person who keeps getting 2+2=4 wrong, and instead of accepting that you are wrong, tries to justify why he is right.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
:facepalm:

You are like a person who keeps getting 2+2=4 wrong, and instead of accepting that you are wrong, tries to justify why he is right.

There are too many nights where Sid disappears. Could it be that it is Kunitz that is bringing the entire line down to his level, yes, that is possible. I would like to see how Hornqvist would work with Sid without Kunitz before drawing any final conclusions, not sure if the Pens coaching staff will cooperate.

And I'm not wrong, I just see it differently than you. Interesting since you are stating that your opinion is fact, it's not.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
There are too many nights where Sid disappears. Could it be that it is Kunitz that is bringing the entire line down to his level, yes, that is possible. I would like to see how Hornqvist would work with Sid without Kunitz before drawing any final conclusions, not sure if the Pens coaching staff will cooperate.

And I'm not wrong, I just see it differently than you. Interesting since you are stating that your opinion is fact, it's not.
So we trade Hornqvist who has been playing with Crosby since he rediscovered his 1.3 points/game average. Fine. How much better does Crosby get then?

The Perron for a 1st was such an awful trade, but trading Perron for Hagelin more than made up for it.

Think about it: we got rid of a guy who was not working here and and pending UFA for Carl HAGELIN, signed for 3 more years!

Too bad we couldn't trade Lovejoy for someone good, like we did with Sucderi and Perron.

I love the way Hagelin plays, but he's playing at nearly twice his career points/game pace. Maybe he's just found the right mix of system and linemates, but if he reverts back to the 35 point 3rd liner he was and making $4M/year for the next 3 years, people will quickly turn on him. Remember, people were talking about singing Perron to $5M+ after his start with the Pens.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cap space is so overrated, having an abundance of cap space is absolutely valueless if you have no assets to spend on it and there are no good free agents available to use the cap space. Suggesting Hornqvist isn't an ideal fit for Crosby is downright lunacy and ignores literally all stats. Suggesting trading Malkin is even dumber than that.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Cap space is so overrated, having an abundance of cap space is absolutely valueless if you have no assets to spend on it and there are no good free agents available to use the cap space. Suggesting Hornqvist isn't an ideal fit for Crosby is downright lunacy and ignores literally all stats. Suggesting trading Malkin is even dumber than that.

Let me give you the following scenarios; Malkin comes back for the playoffs, he is put on the second line between Hags and Kessel and the line grinds to a halt. No production, no puck control.

Also, the first line is completely shut down as well with the result being the Pens go out in under 5 games averaging less then 2 goals a game.

NOW WHAT??? You seem to have it all figured out, let's hear what you propose then.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Let me give you the following scenarios; Malkin comes back for the playoffs, he is put on the second line between Hags and Kessel and the line grinds to a halt. No production, no puck control.

Also, the first line is completely shut down as well with the result being the Pens go out in under 5 games averaging less then 2 goals a game.

NOW WHAT??? You seem to have it all figured out, let's hear what you propose then.

Now try this scenario: the Pens open up all that cap space and can't find any top 6 free agents who want to sign here. Now they go into next season with 7 million in useless cap space and missing one of the best players in the game.

And I assure you that trading Malkin would drive away free agents. Why would anybody sign with a team that traded a franchise player on a discount deal (by the current market standard) just for the purpose of opening up cap space?

Your opinion obviously can't be wrong, it's just lunacy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Okay, so how does trading Malkin help either of those things? Trading Malkin hurts our offensive production, and signing McGinn and whoever the **** else won't magically solve anything. It's a downright idiotic idea and the fact that you're trying to defend it is downright comical.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We have had this discussion regarding Malkin or Crosby almost since they were drafted.

Usually it is 'helpful' fans of other teams trying to sell us on the notion.

The truth is that there is no such thing as a top heavy team. Virtually all good teams invest 40 percent more or less of their cap in five players.

And there just are not that many game breakers. You want a balanced team? Look at the non-playoff teams, mostly very young so their future big pay players are not there yet. I saw a thread bragging about the Devils cap space next year. Goodie for them, how are the playoffs treating you this year NJ?

Malkin and Crosby are on this team for life absent stupidity by ownership/management.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wonder if that means Murray in net Saturday, Fleury going Sunday. MAF needs rest nonetheless.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I wonder if that means Murray in net Saturday, Fleury going Sunday. MAF needs rest nonetheless.

I hope so.

Entering the playoffs relatively healthy and rested matters far more than who we play of if we get an extra home game.

I know all of the Rest vs. Rust arguments, but have always thought that the Rust arguments were overblown and based on an extremely small number of infamous examples. For the most part getting your guys healthy and not losing more is far more important.

Take the next few games to work on the damn power play. Yeah we scored two yesterday, but they still need a lot of work on it. It is the weakest link on this team.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Now try this scenario: the Pens open up all that cap space and can't find any top 6 free agents who want to sign here. Now they go into next season with 7 million in useless cap space and missing one of the best players in the game.

And I assure you that trading Malkin would drive away free agents. Why would anybody sign with a team that traded a franchise player on a discount deal (by the current market standard) just for the purpose of opening up cap space?

Your opinion obviously can't be wrong, it's just lunacy.

In your scenario, did we receive nothing of value back for Geno?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Hornqvist had like 51 in 64 last year with Sid. Like the rest of the team, he had a bad start this year under MJ. Since Jan 1, Hornqvist has 32 in 40. He's a great fit with Sid. What Sid does need though, is someone who can carry the puck and work give and goes. That is not Hornqvist's game. They need a better LW for sure. But once in the zone, Hornqvist is absolutely perfect for Sid imo.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Why is that line grinding to a halt with Malkin? It wasn't ground to a halt before with Malkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad