Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Preds 2: Pens Continue to Earneditz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd definitely put Geno on LW when he comes back.

I like what Fehr brings on that 3rd line pivot. If anyone touches that 2nd line their completely insane. I also think a top flight player on that LW on line 1 brings that line up to an unstoppable level. Couple that with 2 and 4, it'd be more than enough scoring depth. I think placing Kunitz where he belongs (3rd line) with a big center that plays the game like he does, along with Bennett who brings that offensive creativity and ability to dish the puck...that line could be counted on to score too.

I know people hate talking about Geno playing with, but with what time he's coming back into the lineup, I firmly believe putting him in that role and position is the best for the team, even if it's not necessarily the best for him.

Have you watched Fehr? Since coming back from injury he is playing softer and slower than Bonino but without the hands. He's not even our best 4th line center option (Sundqvist is absolutely outplaying him on the 4th line) let alone a 3rd line center option. Cullen is playing head and shoulders better than he is. Without a major turnaround, Fehr should be sitting by the time Geno comes back, not centering a 3rd line.

When Rust comes back, Sheary deserves to stay in over Fehr.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Nobody's losing in this playoff race.

It might take 100 points to get in.

We have to win those two games against the Flyers.

The most Detroit can get is 97 points so one win for us or one loss for them gets us in.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm down to roll a monster line in front of Kessel.

But yeah, Cullen's handily outplayed Fehr. Until Fehr takes his game to another level, Cullen's centering my third line in this scenario.

Maybe he does just need a more regular role and some chemistry with linemates. Kunitz and Bennett seem to play well together. I"d be down to try it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Have you watched Fehr? Since coming back from injury he is playing softer and slower than Bonino but without the hands. He's not even our best 4th line center option (Sundqvist is absolutely outplaying him on the 4th line) let alone a 3rd line center option. Cullen is playing head and shoulders better than he is. Without a major turnaround, Fehr should be sitting by the time Geno comes back, not centering a 3rd line.

When Rust comes back, Sheary deserves to stay in over Fehr.

I don't see Sheary being much of a factor in a playoff series. I wouldn't be at all against putting Sundqvist in that 3C slot. I personally think he slots better than anyone else on the entire team in that slot.

He's got the disposition to be a real awesome shutdown center. Not sure he's ready to take that type of responsibility on yet though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't see Sheary being much of a factor in a playoff series. I wouldn't be at all against putting Sundqvist in that 3C slot. I personally think he slots better than anyone else on the entire team in that slot.

He's got the disposition to be a real awesome shutdown center. Not sure he's ready to take that type of responsibility on yet though.

As soon as Rust is back, Kuhn-Cullen-Rust should be our 3rd line again.

And I don't know about Sheary. He might not be. But if Fehr doesn't remember how to play, he sure as hell won't be a positive factor in anything. He's easily been the worst player on our team every night lately. Every other guy in the bottom 6 is playing significantly better than he is. Sheary is even tied with Fehr in goals in 11 less games and with 3 less minutes per game.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd honestly rather feed Sundqvist the mins over anybody, but I'm hopeful Fehr is still finding his feet. I've always been a fan of Fehr and the versatility he brings, and I do believe the coaching staff once the games start to matter will lean on him to play that 3C role. Right or wrong, it's just an experience thing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd honestly rather feed Sundqvist the mins over anybody, but I'm hopeful Fehr is still finding his feet. I've always been a fan of Fehr and the versatility he brings, and I do believe the coaching staff once the games start to matter will lean on him to play that 3C role. Right or wrong, it's just an experience thing.

Cullen has even more experience though, and his line with Kuhn and Rust has been the Pens best bottom 6 line by a country mile this year. Probably the Pens best bottom 6 line since Staal was here. There's no way Fehr is put into the 3C role over those guys. Cullen has been the better player all year, and he has amazing chemistry with our two best performing bottom 6 wings.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

I know what you're saying about Sheary, but I wouldn't write him off in the playoffs. I liked Brian Gibbons' game, and if he had hands like Sheary he might've scored five goals in the Rangers series. Small fast guys can get it done. Remember, speed against the Rangers is their doom.

That said, I thought Sundqvist looked good yesterday, and I guess if you're gonna sit anyone, it would be Sheary.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wonder what we're gonna do next season. We have big holes in our top-6 still (assuming Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel stays the same), and we have a ton of great 4th line options (Rust, Fehr, Cullen if he returns, Kuhn, Sundqvist).

XXXX - Crosby - Hornqvist
XXXX - Malkin - XXXX
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Rust - Sundqvist - Fehr

Then you have Sprong and Bennett floating around.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I really don't think we can have both Hagelin and Kessel in the bottom 6 long term. I agree with not breaking it up in the middle of the playoffs. But if Kessel is going to be on the 3rd line, I don't think we can afford for Hagelin to be there too. Let Rust take that spot. He loses some of the hands, but he keeps that speed and hard work element that Hagelin brings, and that fills one of our top 6 LW holes. I just don't see how we can have two top 6 wings on the third line long term while we can't even fill one top 6 line.

Hagelin/XXXX - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin/XXXX - Malkin - Bennett/Sprong
Rust - Bonino - Kessel
Sundqvist - Fehr - Kuhn

We may have Sprong. And we will have Wilson. Wilson or Bennett filling in one of Sid or Geno's LW spots is the only way I think we can afford to leave Hagelin on the 3rd line. Wilson/Bennett-Geno-Sprong could in theory pack some punch.

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
It's one thing having Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel in the post-season because of not wanting to mess up the current flow of the team, but they absolutely should not be on the third line to start next year. No way. Our best winger needs to be in the top-6. We don't have that kind of depth and we need him to get ice time.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I wonder what we're gonna do next season. We have big holes in our top-6 still (assuming Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel stays the same), and we have a ton of great 4th line options (Rust, Fehr, Cullen if he returns, Kuhn, Sundqvist).

XXXX - Crosby - Hornqvist
XXXX - Malkin - XXXX
Rust - Sundqvist - Fehr

Then you have Sprong and Bennett floating around.

Could just officially move Sundqvist to wing, even though he'd be an awesome 3rd line center. I think Sundqvist and Malkin may fit in well together. Sundqvist is that big body type wing that can create space for Geno. He can also take faceoffs.

Rust? - Crosby - Hornqvist
Sundqvist - Malkin - Sprong
Kuhnhackl - Cullen - Wilson?

Bonino is sort of Bonino. He's not the straw that's stirring that drink. It sort of sucks having so much money on that 3rd line, but Hagelin and Kessel have to play together, and Kessel hasn't looked good with either one of our top centers. I really don't think it's some sort of shocking notion that the dude just plays better when he's the go-to on his line. So maybe we just spread the wealth out here and figure it out as we go? No reason to fight what is seeming to work.

I also think a guy we're sort of not talking about for much top 6 consideration is Kuhnhackl. If he can continue to get bigger and stronger, I think he has the instincts, and he for sure has the shot to be a top 6 player. He can unleash some bombs.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sundqvist and Sprong might work with Geno. I'd also check out Rust and Sprong with Geno. I'm pretty much convinced that Kessel and Sid or Geno won't work, but if we can have that third line running like it's been and have smart options in our top-6, I guess I'd be alright with it.

I'd still go after Boedker as Sid's LW this summer. If he'll take something like $5M/yr for 4 years or something, I'd be hard-pressed not to go for it. I've been watching him in Colorado and I really like the dude's game, and I'm pleasantly surprised he's playing well while at LW despite Yotes fans saying he's a RW first and foremost.

Boedker - Crosby - Hornqvist
Rust - Malkin - Sprong
Sundqvist/Kuhn/Fehr/Bennett/Wilson

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sundqvist and Sprong might work with Geno. I'd also check out Rust and Sprong with Geno. I'm pretty much convinced that Kessel and Sid or Geno won't work, but if we can have that third line running like it's been and have smart options in our top-6, I guess I'd be alright with it.

Only way you truly slot guys where they belong is if you put Geno out long term and move him to wing, which no one would do on a long term basis.

If Hornqvist and Geno could play well together, Hagelin - Crosby - Kessel would probably work.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fact of the matter is, we're going to have speed to burn going forward. The collection of talent we have that can really motor is pretty impressive.

We have to dump Kunitz's salary this offseason.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yep. I feel pretty confident in our roster for the most part for the first time in a loooong time.

If we can add someone like Boedker to Sid or Geno's LW, dump Kunitz, and the young guys continue to play well, we're in great shape. Six months ago I'd have laughed at that, but here we are.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yep. I feel pretty confident in our roster for the most part for the first time in a loooong time.

If we can add someone like Boedker to Sid or Geno's LW, dump Kunitz, and the young guys continue to play well, we're in great shape. Six months ago I'd have laughed at that, but here we are.

The hard part is massaging the lineup. We have what looks to be a very young, very fast roster going forward that has skill littered all through it. It sounds asinine, but I'd like to see us pick up a Simon Despres type defenseman - a guy that can really skate and play a physical brand of hockey. I think our back end misses that type of guy.

Boedker would be nice, but I'm not sure if this front office would make that kind of commitment to another winger. I just have something against paying what Boedker is looking at for a guy who cannot even be a consistent 20 goal guy. I wouldn't be against bringing him in, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

I'm also for not necessarily for filling that LW position in the top 6 and rather letting younger guys battle for it. I think Sprong will come into camp and pretty well steal it though.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Here's to hoping Sprong lights the world on fire in camp, and does so at LW. That'd solve a whole Hell of a lot of our problems.

Agreed on the defenseman issue though. With Letang, Maatta and Dumo as 3/4 of our top two pairs, I'm still interested in finding someone who can fill that Despres niche on the 1st/2nd pairing. I'd still put Dumo and Letang together as well, and find someone for Maatta on the 2nd pairing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's one thing having Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel in the post-season because of not wanting to mess up the current flow of the team, but they absolutely should not be on the third line to start next year. No way. Our best winger needs to be in the top-6. We don't have that kind of depth and we need him to get ice time.

I would go back to Kessel with Sid or Geno to start the year, but I do think we should explore the option of splitting them even into next year. In general, I am not a fan of carving lines into stone. And I love the added flexibility of being able to stack a line or spread the talent depending on matchups. By the time playoffs come, if we find ourselves needing a shakeup we shouldn't be randomly trying things. We should be swapping to other options that we already have seen work.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Here's to hoping Sprong lights the world on fire in camp, and does so at LW. That'd solve a whole Hell of a lot of our problems.

Agreed on the defenseman issue though. With Letang, Maatta and Dumo as 3/4 of our top two pairs, I'm still interested in finding someone who can fill that Despres niche on the 1st/2nd pairing. I'd still put Dumo and Letang together as well, and find someone for Maatta on the 2nd pairing.

How about Trevor Daley? I think he'd be a good fit here ;)

I just don't see a top 4 D as a real need going into next year. We need another LW far more imo. Especially considering that getting a physical guy with size and skating is incredibly hard to do.

But mostly, I don't know how anyone can watch us play lately and come to the conclusion that we should be looking to replace Daley.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad