Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Preds 2: Pens Continue to Earneditz

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
In your scenario, did we receive nothing of value back for Geno?

They could surely receive something of value, but what they get back would never be as valuable as Malkin. If there was no salary cap they possibly could. The only problem there is that in reality there is a salary cap and unfortunately such a trade would have to be completed in reality.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They could surely receive something of value, but what they get back would never be as valuable as Malkin. If there was no salary cap they possibly could. The only problem there is that in reality there is a salary cap and unfortunately such a trade would have to be completed in reality.

Malkin also has a full NMC. So we would need a team in a position where they have good enough players to get us interested, who are in a position where they can send out some of those players, and where Malkin would waive to go. Basically, we need a good team who just says **** it and decides to do an instant rebuild. You'd need someone like Colorado or San Jose to decide to just completely change gears, and for Geno to be on board. Its just such an improbably scenario to find a decent Malkin trade. Guys like him don't get traded in a Cap world unless its by a team looking to rebuild like Toronto with Kessel, or if the player wants out like Nash in Columbus or Kovalchuk in Atlanta.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Call me crazy, but I think Sheary should move to LW on Sid's line. The few moments they were out there last night, that lined seemed close to dominating, they just kept getting a few bad breaks.

Edit... it was when Sid was with Bennett and Sheary. Maybe that's the ideal number one line.

Sheary's starting to learn to work around his limitations. If Sullivan's smart, he shows the guy lots of video of Cam Atkinson, since that's the player that, if Sheary's lucky, he might be able to become. I'm not against him spot-filling on 1LW, and if he does great, by all means keep him there, but I think the likelihood that he does enough to stay there as a rookie who's just now figuring out how to be in the NHL at all is rather low.

This Hornqvist stuff strikes me as nuts, though. Without him, Daley's goal never happens. He also hit two crossbars in the last two games on 87 set ups. You can stack speed, but you can't just stack speed. There's other functions that you can't win games if nobody's performing them (net front presence, faceoffs, etc) that might not be possible to fill with speedy players.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Let's knock off the hypothetical Geno trade in a thread dedicated to post-game discussion. Take that to PMs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, Sheary could be good with Geno or Sid. But I don't think he could come in and play against top defenders for 15 minutes a night. I think he could be a good option for a Geno "3rd line" though. I'd try him there before breaking up Rust-Cullen-Kuhn if that's the route we go.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Everyone do something because Sullivan is essentially saying that time has passed.

I'm going to assume that Fleury has a concussion from the shot to his mask.

Perron also separated his shoulder and is out 4-6 weeks from the time of the injury for our ex-Penguin news.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
i like how we've moved on from day-to-day and week-to-week

"a lot closer"
"closer but not close enough"
"super close"
"too close for comfort"
"close shave"
"the closer"
"get closure"

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Call me crazy, but I think Sheary should move to LW on Sid's line. The few moments they were out there last night, that lined seemed close to dominating, they just kept getting a few bad breaks.

Edit... it was when Sid was with Bennett and Sheary. Maybe that's the ideal number one line.

Those guys aren't tough though.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Perron also separated his shoulder and is out 4-6 weeks from the time of the injury for our ex-Penguin news.

That sucks for him cause it might cost him a lot of money and a longterm contract. I hope he is back in time and can make some noise in the playoffs for the Ducks.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Watched my first Pens games of the season in the past few weeks and they've looked really good lately. The speed throughout the lineup is really noticeable as is depth scoring. This is the most fun Pens team to watch since the days of Crosby-Malkin-Staal in the middle, when the team had a true three-headed monster on offense and all three lines could consistently press the attack. I'm getting the same feeling with this Pens team and this is while missing Malkin!

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
I see bits and pieces of Crosby in Sheary's game. Obviously every attribute he has is worse, but I feel like he plays the game a similar way. He has some grinding back and forth on the boards type plays (such as for Wilson's first goal) and they seem to attack the center of the offensive zone, either from the boards or from the blue line in. They both do that explosive burst with the puck on their stick in similar ways, and Sheary is pretty good in front of the net.

Basically if you took every aspect of Crosby's game, including his physical tools, and made them all a decent amount worse, that's how I see Sheary as playing. I have no idea what to expect from Sheary going forward, but I see a very poor man's Crosby when I watch him in the offensive zone.

[NHL]942879[/NHL]

[NHL]941961[/NHL]

I have no idea if Sheary is anything or not.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I see bits and pieces of Crosby in Sheary's game. Obviously every attribute he has is worse, but I feel like he plays the game a similar way. He has some grinding back and forth on the boards type plays (such as for Wilson's first goal) and they seem to attack the center of the offensive zone, either from the boards or from the blue line in. They both do that explosive burst with the puck on their stick in similar ways, and Sheary is pretty good in front of the net.

Basically if you took every aspect of Crosby's game, including his physical tools, and made them all a decent amount worse, that's how I see Sheary as playing. I have no idea what to expect from Sheary going forward, but I see a very poor man's Crosby when I watch him in the offensive zone.

[NHL]942879[/NHL]

[NHL]941961[/NHL]

I have no idea if Sheary is anything or not.

I think smunkins will look great with Sid.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Forgot to post earlier. Real fun game to watch, dominant win. Also appreciated the line toggle to get Crosby away from Weber

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd definitely put Geno on LW when he comes back.

I like what Fehr brings on that 3rd line pivot. If anyone touches that 2nd line their completely insane. I also think a top flight player on that LW on line 1 brings that line up to an unstoppable level. Couple that with 2 and 4, it'd be more than enough scoring depth. I think placing Kunitz where he belongs (3rd line) with a big center that plays the game like he does, along with Bennett who brings that offensive creativity and ability to dish the puck...that line could be counted on to score too.

I know people hate talking about Geno playing with, but with what time he's coming back into the lineup, I firmly believe putting him in that role and position is the best for the team, even if it's not necessarily the best for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad