Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Habs 2 - Pens Clinch a Playoff Birth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
So how sure are some of you that the Pens are just loafing through these games, not exerting themselves or really trying all that hard because they don’t have to?

So the mental mistakes and defensive breakdowns are just the result of them taking it easy till the end of the year? We know this for sure?

This team has so much confidence that they know they can flip that switch whenever they want to?

Trust me, I want to believe that but pardon me if I am a bit leery about that being the case...

Reactions: Ryder71

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just knew future Hall of Famer Ian Cole’s name was going to resurface during this argument about the state of the Penguins...lol

Reactions: Peat

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We will know fairly soon how much water the sandbagging it/conserving themselves/flip the switch narrative holds water.

NOT by whether they win another cup. That is highly unlikely no matter the narrative given how much has to break right for even great teams to win a cup any given year.

But more by the eye test. How they play when the games really begin to count.

Reactions: KIRK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I just knew future Hall of Famer Ian Cole’s name was going to resurface during this argument about the state of the Penguins...lol

See, here's an example of someone taking things out of context. No one said Cole was a hall of famer, nor was Scuderi or Gill or Hainsey. But guys like that fill important roles and our very much needed through the rigors of the playoffs. And currently we don't have anyone like that. It's that simple and it's that easy.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
We will know fairly soon how much water the sandbagging it/conserving themselves/flip the switch narrative holds water.

NOT by whether they win another cup. That is highly unlikely no matter the narrative given how much has to break right for even great teams to win a cup any given year.

But more by the eye test. How they play when the games really begin to count.
I agree. It just seems that some people seem to be uber confident that the Pens ARE sandbagging it and I just don’t know how they can be so sure.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I agree. It just seems that some people seem to be uber confident that the Pens ARE sandbagging it and I just don’t know how they can be so sure.
If they're playing possum they're doing one hell of a job.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No, I just think it should be obvious that the regular season has little impact on playoff performance as has been proved time and time again over the past thirty years you’ve watched hockey.
39 years actually. But you want to go in playing the right way. 2016 for example, we really played some exceptional hockey late in the season and into the playoffs. I don't expect that, but I expect us to pay attention to our puck management a bit better than we are this season. You want to fine tune things and we're not seeing much evidence of that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Well to some degree it is obvious that they are. They are not sacrificing to block shots all that often for one. The forwards cheat a lot in Ovechkin style, and are extremely lazy for long stretches. Most of the most egregious offenders have for most of their careers been much better at handling the puck, passing, supporting the exiting of their zone, and on and on. They didn't suddenly forget how to play.

The question is not if they are sandbagging it. They are. The question is how much. And how much is either a degradation of skill and speed with age or being exhausted having played almost half a season more than most other teams the past two years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
39 years actually. But you want to go in playing the right way. 2016 for example, we really played some exceptional hockey late in the season and into the playoffs. I don't expect that, but I expect us to pay attention to our puck management a bit better than we are this season. You want to fine tune things and we're not seeing much evidence of that.

You want to. It proves nothing though. Regular season success means literally nothing but seeding after the 1st game.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Many fans said this exact same thing last season right before the playoffs. They found a way to gut out another Cup, even if it wasn't pretty.

At what point does this core earn some benefit of the doubt?

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So how sure are some of you that the Pens are just loafing through these games, not exerting themselves or really trying all that hard because they don’t have to?

So the mental mistakes and defensive breakdowns are just the result of them taking it easy till the end of the year? We know this for sure?

This team has so much confidence that they know they can flip that switch whenever they want to?

Trust me, I want to believe that but pardon me if I am a bit leery about that being the case...

We have history of turning it around. Before New Years we went 9-13 and after we went 17-5. In 2016/17 before the playoffs we went 7-8 then hit the playoffs and went 16-9 to win the cup.

We play a team defense so if the forwards aren’t we they should be things can look really bad. Come playoff time no way everyone isn’t going 100%. If the last 2 years don’t prove that, nothing will. We might not win but we won’t go quietly.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Many fans said this exact same thing last season right before the playoffs. They found a way to gut out another Cup, even if it wasn't pretty.

At what point does this core earn some benefit of the doubt?
They were able to gut it out last season because they had better depth in goal and on defense. This team does not. That's a big variable some here apparently are not considering. I'd also suggest that there are more quality teams in the east this time around. That to is a variable that isn't necessarily in our favor.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

tenor.gif

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You want to. It proves nothing though. Regular season success means literally nothing but seeding after the 1st game.
I don't like the make up of this team as much as last years. I've said the reasons why in an above post. But this is not the same team. Hopefully they'll get their stuff together, but I don't know how all of a sudden Letang will develop a good hockey IQ or how Hunwick will prevent a cross crease pass like Cole or Hainsey would. Trust me, the playoffs will illuminate these things for everyone to see. Maybe we'll win games 6-4 or 7-5 every other night, but that'll be hard to do.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They were able to gut it out last season because they had better depth in goal and on defense. This team does not. That's a big variable some here apparently are not considering. I'd also suggest that there are more quality teams in the east this time around. That to is a variable that isn't necessarily in our favor.

They didn't have Letang last year. They also had a Maatta that was coming off a serious foot injury and was playing catch-up most of the playoffs. Ditto for Daley. This year, the defense (by all accounts) is healthy going into the playoffs.

Letang
Dumoulin
Schultz
Maatta
Oleksiak
Hunwick
Ruhwedel

...is better than ...

Dumoulin
Injured Maatta
Injured Daley
Hainsey
Schultz
Cole
Ruhwedel
Streit

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Riley Sheahan's come a long way this year. Good stuff. Interested to see where that goes in the future. I really liked the potential of this player when he was a rook.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't like the make up of this team as much as last years. I've said the reasons why in an above post. But this is not the same team. Hopefully they'll get their stuff together, but I don't know how all of a sudden Letang will develop a good hockey IQ or how Hunwick will prevent a cross crease pass like Cole or Hainsey would. Trust me, the playoffs will illuminate these things for everyone to see. Maybe we'll win games 6-4 or 7-5 every other night, but that'll be hard to do.

Or you know, Murray goes on a tear like he has two Cups in a row and our forward depth carries us like they have two Cups in a row.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Cole was a positive here but you constantly have your foot on the exaggerator when it comes to him. You have him on a pedestal and seem to believe he’s the main reason we won’t win the cup this year.

Ian Cole doesn’t walk on water and swim on land.

When google has a question they don’t “Ian Cole” it.

Ian Cole’s diary isn’t the Guinness Book of World Records

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Cole was a positive here but you constantly have your foot on the exaggerator when it comes to him. You have him on a pedestal and seem to believe he’s the main reason we won’t win the cup this year.

Ian Cole doesn’t walk on water and swim on land.

When google has a question they don’t “Ian Cole” it.

Ian Cole’s diary isn’t the Guinness Book of World Records
Again, you use hyperbole. Amazing! You just don't get it. I never said Cole was great, I said such a player is necessary. You can't seem to differentiate between the two. But when Letang is on the PK late in a tie playoff game, and attempts to block a shot or man someone off the puck, just remember what you're saying here. lol

Maybe you want to throw out some false stats about our PK from last year to promote your misguided narrative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad