Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Habs 2 - Pens Clinch a Playoff Birth

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Have this handy come playoff time, I suspect you'll need it.

Your posts are insufferable. Do you know how many teams would kill to have gone back to back and be in our position? 30 teams. 30 teams would kill for that. Some of those teams would kill even for one.

Seriously.. your negativity is poison. It's actually embarrassing. This is a blessing and you pass it off like it's not enough. Just such a joke.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Your posts are insufferable. Do you know how many teams would kill to have gone back to back and be in our position? 30 teams. 30 teams would kill for that. Some of those teams would kill even for one.

Seriously.. your negativity is poison. It's actually embarrassing. This is a blessing and you pass it off like it's not enough. Just such a joke.
I'm thrilled we went back to back twice in our franchise history. but context here is important. And we're discussing this game. And in this game (as per usual) we're giving up too many good scoring chances. Now, you can choose to ignore that fact, but I choose not to. Why? because it's the norm anymore and it's a very troubling trend. Maybe your expectations for this team are different than mine. Honestly I really don't care. I can't stand the constant puck mismanagement and mental errors Letang is making. You can sugarcoat if you like, but again different strokes for different folks.

What I find appalling and embarrassing is people ignoring the obvious issues we face. It's almost as if some here are living in denial.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I hope they do go on a run. But again context is important and I view anything less than a 3rd cup as a disappointment.

I'm thankful for the last two years, just like in 91, 92 and 09, but to win three is a such a rare feat, it would be an enormous achievement.

Maybe your bar is set much lower, like for instance just making the playoffs.

I just don’t understand what your ultimate point is.

Shady and I were upset all summer about Bonino, because there was a realistic fix that we thought would be cheaper and better than what we could get in season. It at least had context

You’re basically longing for a different team when we have yet to play any playoff games.

You’re basically getting worked up about something that has yet to occur.

I figure a fan of 30+ years would be able to separate the regular season versus the playoffs. I know I’ve seen just as many 2018 Bostons flame out in the playoffs as I’ve see 2016 Penguins crush each series.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I'm thrilled we went back to back twice in our franchise history. but context here is important. And we're discussing this game. And in this game (as per usual) we're giving up too many good scoring chances. Now, you can choose to ignore that fact, but I choose not to. Why? because it's the norm anymore and it's a very troubling trend. Maybe your expectations for this team are different than mine. Honestly I really don't care. I can't stand the constant puck mismanagement and mental errors Letang is making. You can sugarcoat if you like, but again different strokes for different folks.

It really just boils down to personal expectations.

You are already on record stating ANYTHING less than a SC is a failure this year.

Most of us figure anything MORE than just 82 regular season games is a success.

I agree, the team has a few too underskilled players, but with the talent on ice, they have the potential to blow out wins every game. And they dont do it. Or at least havent. That is why I am waiting for Game One. If they skate like they have all season long (5 mins of effort, horrible coverage, no heart), I will be right there with you shitting on them. As of now, we dont know if they can play that way or not. All we know is they havent.

No amount of stats or replays or strategy calls is gonna change the fact you want the big prize and all else sucks.

That is fine. As you say, different strokes.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I just don’t understand what your ultimate point is.

Shady and I were upset all summer about Bonino, because there was a realistic fix that we thought would be cheaper and better than what we could get in season. It at least had context

You’re basically longing for a different team when we have yet to play any playoff games.

You’re basically getting worked up about something that has yet to occur.
My goal is to live in the land of actuality and not ignore things in order to muster up false hope. I keep waiting for better D zone play and less mental mistakes by our blue line, but it hasn't changed. It's a bit frustrating. Surely you can understand that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

What I find appalling and embarrassing is people ignoring the obvious issues we face. It's almost as if some here are living in denial.

No. I'm going to call a spade a spade here. You are just an insanely negative poster who will find negativity in anything. It's flat out embarrassing. The Pens did something NO OTHER TEAM has done in the cap era. They are so insanely blessed it's unreal. Teams would kill for ONE Stanley Cup and we have 5. In this era we have 3. In the last 2 years, we own both. It's unreal. It's unreal how crazy blessed we are. It's unreal how crazy lucky we are. It's unreal how freaking insane it is for someone to be negative. Is it perfect? Pretty damn close.

And the reality is if we lose.. who gives a f***? Oh well. It's someone else's turn. So be it. That's life. It can't always be us. So who gives a crap? Ride the wave and enjoy life. Or be a salty negative person and find every negative aspect that you can. Because that's flat out pathetic. I'm fine if people want to point out some red flags and discuss hockey. All you do is pout every single day unless they play a perfect game. To live life that way... it's just embarrassing.

When something magical is happening, don't find the negative. Enjoy it. Nothing lasts forever. We could get beat in 4 straight games in the playoffs and it's still not a bad day to be a Pittsburgh Penguin fan.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It really just boils down to personal expectations.

You are already on record stating ANYTHING less than a SC is a failure this year.

Most of us figure anything MORE than just 82 regular season games is a success.

Precisely, you encapsulated my perspective here perfectly. Different expectations.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My goal is to live in the land of actuality and not ignore things in order to muster up false hope. I keep waiting for better D zone play and less mental mistakes by our blue line, but it hasn't changed. It's a bit frustrating. Surely you can understand that.

Like I said, if we go out in the playoffs like this I’m sure half of the board will be right there with you. Until then, how are you a fan of the squad the past 30 years and not realize we have a good chance with our core to do something we haven’t seen since the 80s. Just making the dance with Crosby, Malkin and Kessel gives us a chance.

You realize this is the first time the Leafs have QUALIFIED for the playoffs in two consecutive years since 2003-2004. You know, a year before Malkin was drafted..

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sorry to interrupt, but I think the biggest plus for me tonight is Murray having a game where he let in less than 3 goals and had a good save percentage doing it. Baby steps.

Now back to your regularly scheduled doom and gloom. ;)

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No. I'm going to call a spade a spade here. You are just an insanely negative poster who will find negativity in anything. It's flat out embarrassing. The Pens did something NO OTHER TEAM has done in the cap era. They are so insanely blessed it's unreal. Teams would kill for ONE Stanley Cup and we have 5. In this era we have 3. In the last 2 years, we own both. It's unreal. It's unreal how crazy blessed we are. It's unreal how crazy lucky we are. It's unreal how freaking insane it is for someone to be negative. Is it perfect? Pretty damn close.

And the reality is if we lose.. who gives a ****? Oh well. It's someone else's turn. So be it. That's life. It can't always be us. So who gives a crap? Ride the wave and enjoy life. Or be a salty negative person and find every negative aspect that you can. Because that's flat out pathetic. I'm fine if people want to point out some red flags and discuss hockey. All you do is pout every single day unless they play a perfect game. To live life that way... it's just embarrassing.

When something magical is happening, don't find the negative. Enjoy it. Nothing lasts forever. We could get beat in 4 straight games in the playoffs and it's still not a bad day to be a Pittsburgh Penguin fan.

You're wrong, and about a great many things. First off I enjoyed, savored and relished all five cups to the point of ridiculousness. I've watched hours of the finals, parades, interviews time and time again. Believe me I enjoyed the hell out of it. It made my summer each time this occurred.

That said, and knowing our current talent, expectations accordingly should be high. If we lose to a better team, so be it. But if it's because we beat ourselves because we don't want to put a body on someone, or can't be bothered to take better care of the puck, then yeah I do have a problem with that. And I always will. It's not if we lose as much as the way it could happen. And you know I already have an issue with our personnel on defense since Cole left. And nothing I've seen from this team has dissuaded me from that position.

Here's how I am since you find me so fascinating. I'm happy when we play up to our talent and abilities, be it as a last place team, or a stanley cup contender. Expectations obviously are different relative to the line up we put on the ice every night. My opinions are far more nuanced then obviously you give me credit for. In any case that's my perspective.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Is Ryder71 an alt account for PenX? Their "opinions" on the state of the Penguins sounds eerily similar.
No, because I can give credit where it is due. I mean I'm not a negative nancy on every occasion. Gave Horny and Sid props last game. Why? Because they were deserving of it.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
And I would say that your opinion of my opinion is even more pathetic. Hows that?

You’re wrong. You are saying that unless this situation that has a very low chance of happening happens, I am going to be upset. That is stupid, objectively.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No, because I can give credit where it is due. I mean I'm not a negative nancy on every occasion. Gave Horny and Sid props last game. Why? Because they were deserving of it.

Pretty sure PenX had some positive stuff to say once in a while also. Doesn't mean doom and gloom didn't dominate his opinions.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You’re wrong. You are saying that unless this situation that has a very low chance of happening happens, I am going to be upset. That is stupid, objectively.
Well, this is a very rare opportunity is it not? I mean the last threepeat was 35 years ago. So, if I'm horribly disappointed this season I'll eventually get over it. And if we lose this year, then I'll modify my expectations accordingly next year. So I'll likely just be happy to ice a competitive team. It' only a matter of time that the Mathews, Mcdavids and such get their turn. I'm just hoping we get in a run prior to that, but its inevitable that will come crashing down at some point.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

You are ignoring all the context. They aren’t playing as hard as they can because they don’t need too. 9-2-2 in the last 13. So they are winning without exerting themselves as much. They are not blocking shots as much because that’s a potential injury in these games that won’t really matter come April 11th. If taking it easier now helps our stamina in the playoffs that’s a good thing.

They did flip the switch when they had to at the start of 2018 going 17-3-2 scoring 4.1 goals per game and only 2.4 against. Don’t mention “oh we had Cole”. He was scratched for a third of those games and not the reason why we turned it around.

You complain that we won 5-2. You complain non stop on the night we clinch. Yes we give up turnovers and get used to it because it’ll keep happening. It did in 2016, it did in 2017. We play a style that pushes the envelope and we do so because of the forwards we have. If we played safer we wouldn’t score like we do and they way we play wins us more games than not.

Do you understand why they aren’t playing 100% right now? Do you understand how they are playing right now isn’t a reflection of how the playoffs will go? The more recent cup winners have lost more than they’ve won at seasons end more often than not.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Does this help?

Or maybe this?

Haha.

I honestly don't even have anything against the Caps. If Ovechkin wins a Cup, good for him. He's a great player and he needs that for his legacy.

It's really funny watching them fail though in a macabre kind of way.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If Ryder has been watching hockey for 30+ years, do you think he remembers what happened last time the Pens went streaking as the best team in the league into the playoffs attempting a 3 peat?
You mean winning 17 in a row?

They tied with NJ last game of the year, but yeah, they pushed it too hard. Even the players on that team talked about playing hurt to keep the streak alive. Not smart.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You are ignoring all the context. They aren’t playing as hard as they can because they don’t need too. 9-2-2 in the last 13. So they are winning without exerting themselves as much. They are not blocking shots as much because that’s a potential injury in these games that won’t really matter come April 11th. If taking it easier now helps our stamina in the playoffs that’s a good thing.

They did flip the switch when they had to at the start of 2018 going 17-3-2 scoring 4.1 goals per game and only 2.4 against. Don’t mention “oh we had Cole”. He was scratched for a third of those games and not the reason why we turned it around.

You complain that we won 5-2. You complain non stop on the night we clinch. Yes we give up turnovers and get used to it because it’ll keep happening. It did in 2016, it did in 2017. We play a style that pushes the envelope and we do so because of the forwards we have. If we played safer we wouldn’t score like we do and they way we play wins us more games than not.

Do you understand why they aren’t playing 100% right now? Do you understand how they are playing right now isn’t a reflection of how the playoffs will go? The more recent cup winners have lost more than they’ve won at seasons end more often than not.

Again, where we differ here is you think it's an elective decision. I don't think they have the necessary components on defense to do the little things you think they'll do. You think it's an effort issue totally. I think in addition to effort there's a personnel component to it. And that's the thing you and many others here have continued to ignore. We lack a dynamic and dimension to our blue line. Maybe we'll get away with it, but probably not. But you're right about one thing. Context is important, and understanding the make up of championship blue lines is something I understand. And I doubt you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad