Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Habs 2 - Pens Clinch a Playoff Birth

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I live in a van down by the river.

18r6nn5iv3gb8jpg.jpg

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
I don't like the make up of this team as much as last years. I've said the reasons why in an above post. But this is not the same team. Hopefully they'll get their stuff together, but I don't know how all of a sudden Letang will develop a good hockey IQ or how Hunwick will prevent a cross crease pass like Cole or Hainsey would. Trust me, the playoffs will illuminate these things for everyone to see. Maybe we'll win games 6-4 or 7-5 every other night, but that'll be hard to do.

Thank you. Ryder you seems to get it that Penguins are a different team and has basically been playing the same way all season regardless what’s on paper. It’s ok to have questions and criticism although they are Champions. Mike Sullivan ( Letang as well) can be Pens down fall ( in the playoffs although he has been good in postseason)with bad personnel decisions without Tocchet who was better with forwards among doing things that made Sullivan great than he is All season Sullivan haven’t made great adjustments on lines like Crosby’s line being a third line ( he was play of Crosby’s slow start) , personal bias/ favoritism and not capable of somewhat handle opponents speed nor getting players to respond better with adversity etc.. Tocchet is truly missed. Reechi is not it with him.

No dominance or urgency in their game. It’s small flashes. You wanna see them be more defensively sound, aggressive, better puck management, awareness, team defense and less scoring chances for opponents. Attention to detail. Back to resilience prepare hockey.
Me as well
No switch has been turn on switch .
It can happen but Penguins has been consistently inconsistent. Maybe Playoffs will chances. Who knows. Shultz, Malkin, Guentz,Crosby, Määttä , Horrny , Dumoulin and Kessel you can trust to turn it on . Brassard as well. They can do it some and Dumoulin can’t be with Letang.

Yes. Penguins has played a lot of hockey for the pass three years but they are missing key pieces to their team that can have you doubt them especially with Letang.
People often overrates Letang and his play. Pens can win without Letang if they revamp the defense with Shultz, Määttä, Dumo and Rig while use Letang possibly off-season trade for reasonable defenseman while Dumoulin-Shultz lead the D Corp.
He has been through ton of injuries that has probably effected him before that he was great and now is worse than people after to admit. He might has some left in the tank but no for this team.
Yes. I am no fan of him . Never will be . Letang has never played consistent elite hockey for himself ( only one year and ok 2016 playoffs where he almost cost Pens two series)and the betterment of team. He does that things that hurts his team than helping it. Bad passes. Major farts and bad attention to Detail. He puts his teammates in bad positions especially Dumoulin who is underrated defensively and offensively . From eye test Dumoulin is stress free with Letang. He’s better with someone like Shultz as his partner.
Reckless careless do to much hockey etc.. List goes on.. He has never fill his role of elite defenseman for the Penguins. Never has he evolved his game or set great example to lead the D Corp in all his season. Low hockey iq with okay hockey offense instincts. I guess eating minutes and racking up points of elite great two way center say he’s elite. I understand your point of view and logic that many won’t see to grasp with Letang, turnovers, easy for opponents and bad team defense among other things although they clinched playoffs spot.

How can people be happy with the play of Letang? How can you trust Letang? Eye test proves it all. His bad play and costly errors can cost games plus series.
Penguins are better when Letang is not on #1 Pp , when play against bottom lines and not with Crosby’s line nor Malkin’s line. Yes Shultz has little rough game but he’s better with breakouts, passing, reading play, pp duties, better defensively , he often help sustain offense pressure and excel for the betterment of the team when need with big minutes . Eye test proves probably stats as well.
Letang and D Going in the playoffs? Mental lapses? Chemistry? Consistency? Depleted D? Where is the enjoy structure Pens hockey! We know. Clicking on all cylinders. Relentless forechecks and aggressive speed with take care of all zone.

I Agree. Please don’t stop expressing what can’t be denied of wanted the Pens to win their cup this year. It isn’t negative.. it real blunt and honest with raw questions from beloved fan. It’s ok to want the team to be better structure defensively that lets offense shine more dominance that’s brings out off chart Pens hockey without being hemmed up in their zone with forwards/defense in no man’s land.

Sorry for long paragraphs.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016

Welcome to the forum.

Letang has only been a really bad liability this year. He used to be able to cover for his mistakes, but he cant get back in time off of turnovers and his 'boxing' out is reaaaaaally bad.

But.

This:

mmmmmm...tasty....

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Thank you. Ryder you seems to get it that Penguins are a different team and has basically been playing the same way all season regardless what’s on paper. It’s ok to have questions and criticism although they are Champions. Mike Sullivan ( Letang as well) can be Pens down fall ( in the playoffs although he has been good in postseason)with bad personnel decisions without Tocchet who was better with forwards among doing things that made Sullivan great than he is All season Sullivan haven’t made great adjustments on lines like Crosby’s line being a third line ( he was play of Crosby’s slow start) , personal bias/ favoritism and not capable of somewhat handle opponents speed nor getting players to respond better with adversity etc.. Tocchet is truly missed. Reechi is not it with him.

No dominance or urgency in their game. It’s small flashes. You wanna see them be more defensively sound, aggressive, better puck management, awareness, team defense and less scoring chances for opponents. Attention to detail. Back to resilience prepare hockey.
Me as well
It can happen but Penguins has been consistently inconsistent. Maybe Playoffs will chances. Who knows. Shultz, Malkin, Guentz,Crosby, Määttä , Horrny , Dumoulin and Kessel you can trust to turn it on . Brassard as well. They can do it some and Dumoulin can’t be with Letang.

Yes. Penguins has played a lot of hockey for the pass three years but they are missing key pieces to their team that can have you doubt them especially with Letang.
People often overrates Letang and his play. Pens can win without Letang if they revamp the defense with Shultz, Määttä, Dumo and Rig while use Letang possibly off-season trade for reasonable defenseman while Dumoulin-Shultz lead the D Corp.
He has been through ton of injuries that has probably effected him before that he was great and now is worse than people after to admit. He might has some left in the tank but no for this team.
Yes. I am no fan of him . Never will be . Letang has never played consistent elite hockey for himself ( only one year and ok 2016 playoffs where he almost cost Pens two series)and the betterment of team. He does that things that hurts his team than helping it. Bad passes. Major farts and bad attention to Detail. He puts his teammates in bad positions especially Dumoulin who is underrated defensively and offensively . From eye test Dumoulin is stress free with Letang. He’s better with someone like Shultz as his partner.
Reckless careless do to much hockey etc.. List goes on.. He has never fill his role of elite defenseman for the Penguins. Never has he evolved his game or set great example to lead the D Corp in all his season. Low hockey iq with okay hockey offense instincts. I guess eating minutes and racking up points of elite great two way center say he’s elite. I understand your point of view and logic that many won’t see to grasp with Letang, turnovers, easy for opponents and bad team defense among other things although they clinched playoffs spot.

How can people be happy with the play of Letang? How can you trust Letang? Eye test proves it all. His bad play and costly errors can cost games plus series.
Penguins are better when Letang is not on #1 Pp , when play against bottom lines and not with Crosby’s line nor Malkin’s line. Yes Shultz has little rough game but he’s better with breakouts, passing, reading play, pp duties, better defensively , he often help sustain offense pressure and excel for the betterment of the team when need with big minutes . Eye test proves probably stats as well.
Letang and D Going in the playoffs? Mental lapses? Chemistry? Consistency? Depleted D? Where is the enjoy structure Pens hockey! We know. Clicking on all cylinders. Relentless forechecks and aggressive speed with take care of all zone.

I Agree. Please don’t stop expressing what can’t be denied of wanted the Pens to win their cup this year. It isn’t negative.. it real blunt and honest with raw questions from beloved fan. It’s ok to want the team to be better structure defensively that lets offense shine more dominance that’s brings out off chart Pens hockey without being hemmed up in their zone with forwards/defense in no man’s land.

TLDR. Nice username, that number must be average words per post.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Me as well

That is quite the long post, Ryder71.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So how sure are some of you that the Pens are just loafing through these games, not exerting themselves or really trying all that hard because they don’t have to?
So the mental mistakes and defensive breakdowns are just the result of them taking it easy till the end of the year? We know this for sure?

This team has so much confidence that they know they can flip that switch whenever they want to?

Trust me, I want to believe that but pardon me if I am a bit leery about that being the case...

Pretty sure. I don't know how much of it is deliberate and how much of it is subconsciously being more excited about the play-offs and worried about getting injured now, but they're clearly not playing at the intensity we saw in January-February, nevermind last year's play-offs.

I don't know whether they'll be able to flip the switch this time but, given how they've responded to pretty much every big loss with a win, given how they flipped the switch in January to begin with, given how they play with that much more pride and effort at home... yeah, I'm sure they've got more to give and are capable of doing so at quick notice.

The Kessel injury really puts a damper on the victory. If he’s badly injured, they’re out in the first round.

Hunwick looked really good which is encouraging, same for Sheary.

We can't beat Columbus or Philly without Kessel?

Reactions: zero8771

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm just not sure of the point Ryder is trying to make...

"This D is trash! You'll see! You just can't see it like i do!"

We all watch the games.
Mostly everyone here is hoping they'll get things tidied up, with Sully and Martin at the helm, to make a run at history here.
Are we allowed to hope, atleast?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
The Predators are losing 6-4 to the Sabres right now but yeah the 2-time defending champs are hopeless cause they gave up a couple breakaways

Post of the thread.

I'm thrilled we went back to back twice in our franchise history. but context here is important. And we're discussing this game. And in this game (as per usual) we're giving up too many good scoring chances. Now, you can choose to ignore that fact, but I choose not to. Why? because it's the norm anymore and it's a very troubling trend. Maybe your expectations for this team are different than mine. Honestly I really don't care. I can't stand the constant puck mismanagement and mental errors Letang is making. You can sugarcoat if you like, but again different strokes for different folks.

What I find appalling and embarrassing is people ignoring the obvious issues we face. It's almost as if some here are living in denial.

Dude, I mean no disrespect here, but I suspect that you need to take a break from watching the Pens play for the rest of the season for your mental and (possibly) physical health.

I realize the Pens have some glaring issues and have not been playing well, but every game man, even after wins, you seem to be flat out angry about virtually everything from said game. Your rants after wins are on a level intensity-wise that I'm not quite sure I've seen before post-win. Pens clinched a spot, did some decent things last night. I know they did some not so good things, but at least be happy they clinched a playoff spots.

Yes, it's your opinion. I get that. But those rants man, they're borderline maniacal at times.

Again, no disrespect.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Welcome to the forum.

Letang has only been a really bad liability this year. He used to be able to cover for his mistakes, but he cant get back in time off of turnovers and his 'boxing' out is reaaaaaally bad.

But.

This:

mmmmmm...tasty....

The 3rd period of that game was the best period I have ever seen the Pens play. In terms of structure and control it was similar to Canada vs USA in the SF at Sochi.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
The 3rd period of that game was the best period I have ever seen the Pens play. In terms of structure and control it was similar to Canada vs USA in the SF at Sochi.

Basically, the statement was "San Jose, stop prolonging this, we are gonna win...The end." I don't think the Pens gave up one shot on goal?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Yeah man, 30pts.

Imagine that.

Remember when we had that poster that said Sheahan was crap and we needed a 30pt C for our 3rd line?

Good times those were, good times.

NN9OB6B.gif

It seems like that dude gets grade-A chances every single game. If his ability to score goals matched his hockey IQ, he could easily have 20+ goals. A real decent pickup by JR.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
If the Rags didn't blow that last minute lead against the Caps this week, tonight could have been for 1st place.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If they are sandbagging it into the playoffs, my concern is that they have developed bad habits that will carry over.

But we will see.

They didn't when they entered the play-offs with 6 losses in their last 10 last year.

But yeah, it's possible it's different this year and it'll bite us in the ass. I'd be happier if they were making better decisions in the offensive zone instead of all these turnovers.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I'm on a work trip in Asia, didn't get to watch the match. Feels f***ing good to see the result and highlights, just saw them. Schultz looked good, plus Murray.

Reactions: EightyOne

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'll have to look up the numbers, but for all this talk about the Pens defense and Cole last season, I remember CLB and CAPS absolutely shelling them and MAF standing on his head.

The Pens did show they could clamp it down when it mattered the most though. They got taken apart in games 5 and 6 agt CAPS and they let up I think 9 goals, then shut them out in game 7.

Nash smoked them for nine goals in games 3 and 4 and the Pens flipped a switch again and shut them out in the next two to win the cup.

So I think this team has shown the ability to be on their details when they really have to be. I expect some sloppy playoff games like last season though, coupled with some outstanding defensive efforts.

If anyone expects them to play shutdown defense all playoffs, I'm afraid I've got some bad news...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'll have to look up the numbers, but for all this talk about the Pens defense and Cole last season, I remember CLB and CAPS absolutely shelling them and MAF standing on his head.

The Pens did show they could clamp it down when it mattered the most though. They got taken apart in games 5 and 6 agt CAPS and they let up I think 9 goals, then shut them out in game 7.

Nash smoked them for nine goals in games 3 and 4 and the Pens flipped a switch again and shut them out in the next two to win the cup.

So I think this team has shown the ability to be on their details when they really have to be. I expect some sloppy playoff games like last season though, coupled with some outstanding defensive efforts.

If anyone expects them to play shutdown defense all playoffs, I'm afraid I've got some bad news...

We were outshot every game bar 1 against Columbus, with the lowest SA being 32. My memory of it is that there was a lot of crap from outwide and we were never in serious danger, but we certainly gave up a lot of shots - 194 in 5 games - and conceded 4 or more twice.

Did a better job preventing shots against Washington but my memory of that series was living in dread - so many great opportunities given up. Even then, we only kept them below 30 shots twice, and conceded 234 shots in 7. Again, conceded 4 or more twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad