Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Flyers 4 (OT) - The Rust Does Something with Sid Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Cole’s ATOI dropped from 19:49 in the regular season to 18:50 in the playoffs last season. 6th lowest out of our D.
18:50 is a pretty healthy number, particularly for a guy who's suppose to be a bottom pairing defender. Curious, what was his ice time in our 2016 run with Letang in, I suspect it would be less. And I wonder about his PK time. I'm sure he got a lot of minutes there, but I don't have those numbers in front of me.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
But heres the difference in all those scenarios. Letang, Bonino and Hags got injured. We had to adjust and fortunately we did. But those issues couldn't be helped. Losing Cole could have, or if you believe he was necessary in the BRASS trade, at least pick up someone. That's what irks me, most of those injuries couldn't be prevented, not picking up a depth defender could. It was a self inflicted wound that now makes our task more difficult. And our depth is precarious at best.

Letang was injured before the deadline. JR tried to get Shattenkirk. He couldn’t get it done. He tried to get D at this deadline but couldn’t get it done. He was handcuffed by the cap which made it difficult.

Feel free to say who he should have brought in and why the other team would do and how we could still stay cap compliant. I agree it would have been nice but I understand it was a difficult situation (as I’ve explained before).

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It is amazing. Like Staal that one year he was PPG for like forty games. My only issue is his age, so he isn’t worth resigning.

He’s only 30 and looks like he will age quite well. If you give him a long term deal, not too worried about the back end ala Hornqvist, because Crosby and Malkin have a 2-3 year window of dominant play left. Worry about the can down the road and max out their best years left.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Letang was injured before the deadline. JR tried to get Shattenkirk. He couldn’t get it done. He tried to get D at this deadline but couldn’t get it done. He was handcuffed by the cap which made it difficult.

Feel free to say who he should have brought in and why the other team would do and how we could still stay cap compliant. I agree it would have been nice but I understand it was a difficult situation (as I’ve explained before).
We didn't need shattenkirk, but we got Hainsey. He's not that type of player but he added depth and quality depth to our line up. We still had Shultz, Daley and Maatta who were capable at feeding the transition. JR did the best he could then, I had no complaints. This year was different. We had enough room at the deadline to bring in a bottom pairing guy. And we've gone back and forth on this. I said that was a mistake, I said it then and I'm saying it now. I don't believe a guy like that couldn't be had.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
We didn't need shattenkirk, but we got Hainsey. He's not that type of player but he added depth and quality depth to our line up. We still had Shultz, Daley and Maatta who were capable at feeding the transition. JR did the best he could then, I had no complaints. This year was different. We had enough room at the deadline to bring in a bottom pairing guy. And we've gone back and forth on this. I said that was a mistake, I said it then and I'm saying it now. I don't believe a guy like that couldn't be had.

Bro, just give it up.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Again.

Feel free to say who he should have brought in and why the other team would do it and how we could still stay cap compliant and what we traded.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’d love if they could find a way to extend him. Getting more impressive every game here.

I don't think the Penguins can't afford to re-sign him, he's probably not going to be getting much of a raise at all (probably in the $5-$5.5 million range, which the Penguins can afford). I think he might not want to be a 3C forever though, although his comments about only caring about winning at this point make me pause with that. He can get just as much money with the Penguins as he could with anyone else, no one is going to be offering Brassard over $6 million a year and I think the Penguins could afford that. I think it's just a question of whether he's satisfied with his role and how much he likes playing for the Penguins.

I don't think any team would offer Brassard more than say 4 or 5 years at $5.5 million, maybe a desperate team offers $6 million. If the Penguins offer a 4 year, $5 million AAV deal (which they should, because it keeps him for the same timeframe that it keeps Crosby and Malkin), I think they'd be offering just as competitive of an offer as many teams. Sure, maybe Carolina would offer more, but is Brassard going to win a cup with Carolina?

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Again.

Feel free to say who he should have brought in and why the other team would do it and how we could still stay cap compliant and what we traded.
We went through this didn't we? Maybe your memory is failing you. I cited several options that were afforded to JR. Again , if you can get Brassard, you can bring in a depth defensemen. It's not that difficult!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm thrilled we got Brassard, I'm just dismayed in the process we didn't fill the hole created in Coles absence. I think it's clear that our depth and our cohesion took a big hit.

Took a hit, but how big is up for debate. Other than reacquiring Cole I didn’t see anyone else move that fills that hole. Put it this way, if we can win a Cup without Letang, we sure as hell can without Ian Cole.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Didn't the Penguins try to acquire some players like Benn and Connauton at the deadline? I remember reading that both were targets, they just didn't work out for some reason or another. They didn't have the money for a Streit this year, the cap space just didn't work out.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Took a hit, but how big is up for debate. Other than reacquiring Cole I didn’t see anyone else move that fills that hole. Put it this way, if we can win a Cup without Letang, we sure as hell can without Ian Cole.
I guess we'll find out.

But the difference is, we had players that could feed the transition in Letangs absence. We don't have a guy like Cole or Hainsey this time. It's not a question of talent, it's about having the right fit.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
We went through this didn't we? Maybe your memory is failing you. I cited several options that were afforded to JR. Again , if you can get Brassard, you can bring in a depth defensemen. It's not that difficult!

I don’t remember any specific players you mentioned. Feel free to list them.

Getting Brassard made other deals harder.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t remember any specific players you mentioned. Feel free to list them.

Getting Brassard made other deals harder.
I mentioned Benn, Connauton, and Cole himself. I think there were one or two others.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Didn't the Penguins try to acquire some players like Benn and Connauton at the deadline? I remember reading that both were targets, they just didn't work out for some reason or another. They didn't have the money for a Streit this year, the cap space just didn't work out.

JR said he made some offers but they were dealt elsewhere and he though he had a solid offer.

Unless it was a bigger deal we were very limited by the cap (assets too if we wanted to keep our depth).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I guess we'll find out.

But the difference is, we had players that could feed the transition in Letangs absence. We don't have a guy like Cole or Hainsey this time. It's not a question of talent, it's about having the right fit.

LOl what? You think we had more in house replacements for Letang than Ian Cole? If so then we are done here.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I guess we'll find out.

You are a really big Cole fan, no?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You are a really big Cole fan, no?
Not really, if we got an ample replacement I'd be fine with it. If we had a Hainsey or some such player I'd feel we at least had someone who could do a decent job for the most part. It's the fact that we don't have a player like that that bothers me.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not really, if we got an ample replacement I'd be fine with it. If we had a Hainsey or some such player I'd feel we at least had someone who could do a decent job for the most part.

Quit harping on it so much. Jesus. We have the team we have. Guess what isn't happening - we aren't picking any defenders up. This is it. It ain't perfect but it's doable. Let's focus on what we CAN change.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I mentioned Benn, Connauton, and Cole himself. I think there were one or two others.

I like Benn but he didn't get traded at all so maybe he wasn't really available. He does block a lot but not much else compared to what we have. Gives away the puck a lot though for the minutes and role he plays. That's not something I think JR would want to add to the team. For example Benn 72 giveaways (73 games), Ruhwedel 8 giveaways (40 games).

Connauton I don't think adds much at all (Ruhwedel is better) and like Benn didn't get traded at all. Cole was a cap casualty. Yeah we could have tried to move Hunwick but then you risk Brassard being snapped up by someone (especially Winnipeg) while trying to do that. Sheary was the only real other one but same situation as Hunwick plus I imagine they wanted to keep him for this cup run at least. Remember they had a meeting before the deadline with the WBS guys to nail down what we had in our group.

Trust that JR tried to do his best. Trust that Sully will have a game plan to accommodate any deficiencies. Trust that the players will give it their best shot. They have earned it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Not really, if we got an ample replacement I'd be fine with it. If we had a Hainsey or some such player I'd feel we at least had someone who could do a decent job for the most part. It's the fact that we don't have a player like that that bothers me.
Your avatar semi-resemblance to the Philly Phantoms makes me wonder whether your a plant.
:sarcasm:

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Quit harping on it so much. Jesus. We have the team we have. Guess what isn't happening - we aren't picking any defenders up. This is it. It ain't perfect but it's doable. Let's focus on what we CAN change.
This times a f***ing million. I'm all for honest criticism and healthy debate but the constant crying and stewing about things that cannot possibly be helped now is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad