Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Flyers 4 (OT) - The Rust Does Something with Sid Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The one plus side if we ever do lose in the playoffs again is I think (barring it being the Cup final or something) that you'll see a recharged Sid next season.

Or we can just three peat and Sid just puts up another 85 point season next year because he's gassed from all that hockey. Y'know I'm fine with that too.

I’ve always wondered in the NHL that you never see guys get rested for some games here and there. I’ve seen it in other sports. Usually for the really older players (like a Cullen not Sid’s age) but in our circumstance I’m not sure why. I guess we didn’t get enough wins earlier in the season though but it’s something we don’t see in the NHL.

If Cullen had come back I would have loved to play him for about 60-65 games. I think it’s a good idea for longevity of your older players and it’ll be the young guys getting more chances.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’ve always wondered in the NHL that you never see guys get rested for some games here and there. I’ve seen it in other sports. Usually for the really older players (like a Cullen not Sid’s age) but in our circumstance I’m not sure why. I guess we didn’t get enough wins earlier in the season though but it’s something we don’t see in the NHL.

If Cullen had come back I would have loved to play him for about 60-65 games. I think it’s a good idea for longevity of your older players and it’ll be the young guys getting more chances.

We didn't have the luxury of resting players this year because we started off so shitty. They should have had days off practice for sure.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
The bolded is an example of when I really need to read the entire post before drawing a conclusion.

For a second there, I was like, "When did Crosby get engaged? Is it to that blonde chick?!"

I thought he was engaged lol. He’s been with her for a long time.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Most guys wanna play every game. It's a hard sell.

If we lock up a spot and our last game or two doesn't matter standings-wise you might see our big three rest. Well maybe not Geno if he's still in the hunt for hardware at that point.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
We didn't have the luxury of resting players this year because we started off so ****ty. They should have had days off practice for sure.

Kessel has been getting a lot of days off lately for practice it seems like. Either battling an injury or fatigued I'd guess.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Kessel has been getting a lot of days off lately for practice it seems like. Either battling an injury or fatigued I'd guess.

Might be healed but he’s worried of re injury. He backs away at any contact. At least it’s not hurting Brassard’s game. He is heating up. I’m so glad we have him for another year @ 3mil!!!! He can take some minutes of 87 and 71 next season too and we would not skip a beat.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So I was rewatching the game....

Sheary, this kid, like he does a lot of stuff you wish he did better and then you get annoyed but then that chip pass to Brassard for his goal, he does that, then you're like "this asshole is way better than he's shown this season, why can't he be more consistently good?"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Sheary, this kid, like he does a lot of stuff you wish he did better and then you get annoyed but then that chip pass to Brassard for his goal, he does that, then you're like "this ******* is way better than he's shown this season, why can't he be more consistently good?"

I think that's Sheary in a nutshell. When he's able to control the puck, he can do some nice things with it. His problem seems to be too often he controls the puck like it's a bouncy rubber ball.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Sheary, this kid, like he does a lot of stuff you wish he did better and then you get annoyed but then that chip pass to Brassard for his goal, he does that, then you're like "this ******* is way better than he's shown this season, why can't he be more consistently good?"

I get that same feeling with Rust. Rust feels like a guy who should be potting 20 goals no problem. He's got the talent.

At least with Rust though he's always useful even when not scoring. Sheary...less so.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I get that same feeling with Rust. Rust feels like a guy who should be potting 20 goals no problem. He's got the talent.

At least with Rust though he's always useful even when not scoring. Sheary...less so.

Rusty’s progress has been real steady and gets a bit better every year even when you think he wont.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't think Rust bobbles the puck nearly as much as Sheary does. Where he runs into problems, IMO, is he can kind of play like he's got blinders on when he's got the puck.

Reactions: Pancakes

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Most guys wanna play every game. It's a hard sell.

If we lock up a spot and our last game or two doesn't matter standings-wise you might see our big three rest. Well maybe not Geno if he's still in the hunt for hardware at that point.

You’re dreaming if you think Kessel will take a game off.

Or are you referring to Letang?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

That’s why they would have been hesitant to trade him this year because if he gets some form back (and I think he’s been good the last few games) it’s a huge bonus for the forward group.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You’re dreaming if you think Kessel will take a game off.

Or are you referring to Letang?

Yeah I forgot Phil's ironman thing. Well I guess he'd play.

Honestly Sid might play too since this could be his first season ever where he plays 82 games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That’s why they would have been hesitant to trade him this year because if he gets some form back (and I think he’s been good the last few games) it’s a huge bonus for the forward group.
Yeah I think maybe we've found a home for him on that 3rd line, for now I would just keep his lilliputian ass there and hope he's consistent there. It would make the rest of the line-up easier to sort out when everyone is back. Like ZAR with Sid, Rust with Sheahan, depth all around.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah I forgot Phil's ironman thing. Well I guess he'd play.

Honestly Sid might play too since this could be his first season ever where he plays 82 games.

I don't think playing all 82 games is something Sid cares about. He'll play as long as the Pens aren't secure in their playoff positioning. If the Pens wrap up a position prior to game 82, I think Sid sits the last game.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Not really, if we got an ample replacement I'd be fine with it. If we had a Hainsey or some such player I'd feel we at least had someone who could do a decent job for the most part. It's the fact that we don't have a player like that that bothers me.

Dude, it bothers you too much. It is what it is, you just have to deal with it.

Reactions: Ryder71

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
In a straight up race, Hags would smoke anyone on the team. Dude is so damn fast. It wouldn't be close. But with the puck and controlling it - that's a different world.

Rusty has the best 1990s powermove that all 200lb guys did. And he's doing it at his size. Incredibly. And does it so well with his timing that he never gets poke checked by goalies or murdered by flying elbows.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Watched the game off the dvr tonight, always enjoy beating the Flyers.

I know much is made of this defense, but honestly....they gave up a ton of chances last year as well (the disappointment/surprise I suppose is Letang's struggles since returning from his injury). Maybe I need to refresh myself on last year's playoffs but I sure remember a lot of bad starts, lopsided shot differentials, etc. Pens made the most of their chances and goaltending was stellar. Murray was starting to look great before the concussion, and goalies take time to return to form after that type of injury. Let's let him settle in for the next couple weeks. I think he's earned that benefit after the past 2 seasons.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

Rust is so great possession wise, and he's good at getting the puck to his center and that's really important.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Brassards goal was set up from a hilarious pass

Horny was such an EASports cheese goal miniwraparound spin

Genos was great..so many bodies on the ice lol

Sid...omfg...dunno why I ever criticize him when he does that stuff, dragging players from the blueline to the faceoff circle and just scoring

Rust was just sitting there perfectly

(Why was letang playing d 10 feet in front of murray with flyers behind him??)

Murray was up and down. Made some saves. Couldnt control rebounds or track puck at others.

f*** the flyers, basically, we went globetrotters on them with how our goals were scored. Theirs were just run of the mill hockey plays. Ours were a circus act.

For real though, dude has been dating her for like a decade or something.

Same for me and my SO. As long as they are on the same page, rings and paperwork are just that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Rust's issue at this point is being healthy, he's on a 15+ goal pace in the games he's played. I think Rust has proven he's capable of better production and his progression has also shown that. Last year his goal scoring was better, he had 15 in 57 (21-22 goal pace) this year he's on a 17 goal pace but he's also on a 40+ pt pace as well. This year was tougher because of his injuries and how it's taken his game a little longer to adjust but every year he's been in the league he's been producing more.

Last year - 40pt pace
This year - 49pt pace.

JR NEEDS to lock up Rust with the same term/salary as Sheary.

Vyruz Reaper

Oct 4, 2005
Sunny SoCal
When Mur came back after his father's passing, he was at like .929 which is slightly higher than his normal .924 (i didn't fact check, i just remember the graphic the Pens showed). He's REALLY struggled the last 3 games. But he will find it. He seems to be that type of goalie.

He's been off his angle at times (like the bad goal given up today). I believe that is something that can be corrected soon. It's a matter of getting comfortable with the game again. The rebound control is a whole other topic and I'm not sure hwo this will pan out for him this post season. The RC is an even apparent issue given our Defense just stands around looking at the puck instead of boxing out or tying up sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->