Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Flyers 4 (OT) - The Rust Does Something with Sid Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sid set up Rust for the game winner? Plus, had his best moments of the game with Rust. I mean, I agree Rust should be with Malkin or Brassard, but weird game to make that point.

OT is 3 on 3. Regulation and the playoffs aren't. Of all the things to care about, our performance 3 on 3 is towards the bottom, along side how Matt Hunwick tapes his stick.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So, we have Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta and Schultz? What exactly are you worried about?

We have the horses to ride on D. Obviously, it could be better. But, Brassard is a huge upgrade on Bonino.

The horses we ride on aren't the same sort of player, surely you understand different players fill different roles.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sure it is but what the hell does that have to do with Ian Cole? I wanted to keep him too but this is a team issue. No third pairing Dman is correcting that
Not just him, the trickling effect, the fact that the chemistry changed. It goes beyond just losing a guy like Cole.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
But that doesn't mitigate the fact that we were able to close those games and those series out. And we had a great game against the caps to win that series in a shutout.

Still can do those things you are talking about if Murray plays like playoff Murray

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Still can do those things you are talking about if Murray plays like playoff Murray
Not if our defense is turning over the puck and getting caught out of position as much as it is. I don't think many goalies could withstand that onslaught. But clearly MM needs to be better and I have faith that he will.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
But, they literally filled those roles above Cole on two cup winners?
So, you only rely on the top four? I think Cole had a more prominent role last season due to the Letang injury and he stepped up admirably.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
lol No, I'm not because each player filled an important role. If we didn't have Shultz, or Dumoulin I'd say the same thing. It's not just Cole it's any player who has a defined role and has a proven track record at crunch time. Cole is such a player.

Letang played a big role on our team and Sully adjusted how the team played to help win it all. Hagelin was injured all playoffs, we adjusted (but played and struggled). Hornqvist broke his hand halfway through the playoffs, we adjusted. Bonino went down in the cup finals, we adjusted.

Hagelin was our fastest, best fore/backchecker. There is no replacement for Hornqvist at all. No one can skate or transition better on our D than Letang. Bonino was a playoff warrior for us no one coming in would replicate that but we kept winning.

Yes Cole is a loss (we all acknowledge that) but we got Brassard and that’s how it had to happen. All you can see though is doom and gloom because Cole isn’t here. Everyone can point out contextual things as to how we are playing and even used examples of previous years where the last games of the season don’t necessarily translate to what happens in the post season (in fact more often than not it doesn’t).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So, you only rely on the top four? I think Cole had a more prominent role last season due to the Letang injury and he stepped up admirably.

He was okay. But, I think this myth that our D led us to a cup last year needs to stop being perpetuated. We rode hot goaltending, an unreal goal streak from Jake, and Crosby, Malkin and Kessel to a cup. When any of those collapsed, we lost. Ian Cole’s performance didn’t dictate either way.

And yes, Ian Cole was great for us the last two playoffs, but to act like we have no chance of winning without him is just unrealistic.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not just him, the trickling effect, the fact that the chemistry changed. It goes beyond just losing a guy like Cole.

Sure it’s a concern but not near as much as you let on. It’s funny because ALL year you were bitching about the massive hole at 3C.
Like way more than me and I annoyed plenty haha. JR goes and fills it with a major stud and now you just shift to bitching about our 3rd pairing defenseman. Maybe your expectations are unrealistic?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Didn't Schultz step up more so in Letang's absence?
Shultz most certainly did, my point with Cole was that he played more minutes and picked up some more PK time. No question Shultz was very key to our success.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sure it’s a concern but not near as much as you let on. It’s funny because ALL year you were *****ing about the massive hole at 3C.
Like way more than me and I annoyed plenty haha. JR goes and fills it with a major stud and now you just shift to *****ing about our 3rd pairing defenseman. Maybe your expectations are unrealistic?
I'm thrilled we got Brassard, I'm just dismayed in the process we didn't fill the hole created in Coles absence. I think it's clear that our depth and our cohesion took a big hit.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Brassard is the kind of skilled third line pivot I’ve always hoped for in the Crosby and Malkin era.

Knowing he will be around for at least another year has me feeling pretty stoked.

I’d love if they could find a way to extend him. Getting more impressive every game here.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
The legend of Ian Cole is really growing out of control here and I say that as someone who is extremely biased towards Notre Dame guys. He's a good, solid dman and I'd have liked to keep him but he's not the difference between this team winning and losing a cup this year.

Reactions: Shady Machine

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm thrilled we got Brassard, I'm just dismayed in the process we didn't fill the hole created in Coles absence. I think it's clear that our depth and our cohesion took a big hit.
I'm not so sure. I watched the TB NJ game last night and NJ had the run around on TB defense for a good potion of the game and they are stacked on d.
I just think it's the direction of the NHL. It's going way past a stagnant boring defensive game and it's all speed and transition and it's wreaking havoc on a lot of teams D.
Not just the Penguins.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Letang played a big role on our team and Sully adjusted how the team played to help win it all. Hagelin was injured all playoffs, we adjusted (but played and struggled). Hornqvist broke his hand halfway through the playoffs, we adjusted. Bonino went down in the cup finals, we adjusted.

Hagelin was our fastest, best fore/backchecker. There is no replacement for Hornqvist at all. No one can skate or transition better on our D than Letang. Bonino was a playoff warrior for us no one coming in would replicate that but we kept winning.

Yes Cole is a loss (we all acknowledge that) but we got Brassard and that’s how it had to happen. All you can see though is doom and gloom because Cole isn’t here. Everyone can point out contextual things as to how we are playing and even used examples of previous years where the last games of the season don’t necessarily translate to what happens in the post season (in fact more often than not it doesn’t).
But heres the difference in all those scenarios. Letang, Bonino and Hags got injured. We had to adjust and fortunately we did. But those issues couldn't be helped. Losing Cole could have, or if you believe he was necessary in the BRASS trade, at least pick up someone. That's what irks me, most of those injuries couldn't be prevented, not picking up a depth defender could. It was a self inflicted wound that now makes our task more difficult. And our depth is precarious at best.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Shultz most certainly did, my point with Cole was that he played more minutes and picked up some more PK time. No question Shultz was very key to our success.

Cole’s ATOI dropped from 19:49 in the regular season to 18:50 in the playoffs last season. 6th lowest out of our D.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’d love if they could find a way to extend him. Getting more impressive every game here.

Figured he was too good not to come around.

Think he’s on a six game point streak.

Pretty amazing to add a money guy like him to an already impressive stable that has some of the best money players in the league.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad