Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Flyers 4 (OT) - The Rust Does Something with Sid Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We have a good schedule for Murray to get back on his game. It's a day off, game, day off, game...etc..it's a good pace for a goalie to get back into his rhythm and I think that's what he really needs. Sullivan needs to let him play a few in a row, in the last week of this month, he should play all of those games. He also needs to get his timing right with the goalie coach as well, being hurt probably has not helped and then the other ordeal.

We NEED Murray to get back on his game, the alternative is f***ing brutal if he's not.

Reactions: EightyOne

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I had to work so I PVR'd the game, I already knew the score before watching it. Otherwise I would have been pretty damn ****ed when NBC switched to golfers standing around while the OT goal was being scored. Though, I kind of expect that level of incompetency from NBC.

Reactions: BillPrep

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
So I was rewatching the game....

Sheary, this kid, like he does a lot of stuff you wish he did better and then you get annoyed but then that chip pass to Brassard for his goal, he does that, then you're like "this ******* is way better than he's shown this season, why can't he be more consistently good?"
If Sheary did what he can do consistently wed be paying him $6m instead of $3m. I think because he plays a lot in the top 6 people think hes a top 6 wing. Hes not. Hes middle 6 if not solidly a third line winger. Having guys like him who can bring depth scoring at his price is what allows us to pay for our expensive D and have the top end talent we have.

Hes definitely playing a little worse this season than previously, but so is the whole team. But I think Im also a bit of a Sheary apologist so take that for what its worth.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I had to work so I PVR'd the game, I already knew the score before watching it. Otherwise I would have been pretty damn ****ed when NBC switched to golfers standing around while the OT goal was being scored. Though, I kind of expect that level of incompetency from NBC.

don't blame NBC for that. that sounds like an issue with your local affiliate because it didn't happen on my TV and I live in a market where 1)golf is probably more popular than hockey and 2) both golfers in the WGC final went to college (UGA)

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
A) the mental mistakes of various players on this team are quite upsetting
B) Sid is starting to look like SuperSid again, just in time for the playoffs.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Murray has been struggling this season. That 4th goal should have been caught by MM, and hence never scored by Philly. One of the earlier ones was also a weak one. Pens aren't getting far in the playoffs with MM playing this way.

Sid has been bad this season too but he's really picked it up over the last week.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I am not concerned about Murray. I think he was a bit shaky against the Flyers, but still good enough. He will get more comfortable as we move forward.

I am not ready to apologize about Sheary being not great for most of the year. Was a great pass and perhaps this gives him confidence going forward.

Brassard is the stud we know he is. Smart and a superb fit into the Pens system.

Kessel needs more hotdogs or perhaps just some R&R. He did show up a weee bit more than previous games. It still looks like he is avoiding physical contact for the most part. More than normal that is.

Geno is Geno. Sid is Sid. Both great.

I think if ZAR is ready he should be in the line-up.

The D...well. Schultz had a productive game.

Back checking as a whole was really bad. I mean other worldly bad. Not sure if some of that is game design/coaching by Martin but man the Forwards are blowing the D zone looking for offense and not coming back to help on transition. Forwards are very committed to help fore-check which is nice, but 3 below the goal line and getting beaten out of the zone all game long is not a recipe for victory in the playoffs. So many odd man rushes given up.

It was a win. And I'll take 3/4 points every 2 games you wanna give me, but this game was much closer than it needed to be.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Not to get off topic, but did it seem like there was a significant amount of Flyers fans at the game?
It sounded when they scored their final goal to tie, like there was some booing out of a Lets go Flyers chant-was that the case?

I'm a little surprised, coming off back to back cups, that the Flyers would have much of a presence. And this isn't just them, the Leafs had a ton of fans in Pittsburgh twice this season; way higher again then you would imagine given our run. What gives?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
+Even with him having a "poor" game, Murray still stopped 41 of 45 shots
it's kinda a stats aren't always the whole story thing. but still 41/45 is not a bad outing. But two of the goals against where still bad, especially in the dieing seconds when the puck hits him right in the glove and he drops it. So in my head it's kinda a meh outing for him. We need him to be better if we are going to go any where in the playoffs. We also need to not get outshot by that much, and we also need to play philly in the first round in order to make the second round ;)

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
For anybody that was at the game, have you ever heard of the 50/50 having a technical problem where they can't announce a winner and still don't have one the day after? The pot was about $55,000 yesterday and it's been radio silence since a tweet after the game saying that they were having technical problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad