Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Rangers 3 - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Sweep

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Gotta give credit to the D. They're battling hard. Blown coverage a few times leading to goals, but they've been much better than I expected.

+ Crosby, Kunitz, Hornqvist, the D, Fleury
+ Johnston... looks like he's made a few tweaks and it's paying off
- Malkin... needs to be more selfish, he passed up two prime shooting opportunities tonight including an empty net
- Penalties... the refs are calling the Pens tight, time to get them less material to work with

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
A good win, legitimately a good win and not something I thought they had in them.

Sooooo..... **** the refs, they're awful, just brutal as ****. Purge the entire group and start over with a mandate to enforce the god damned rules, period. I didn't care before, but now the Pens either need to win or tear apart the Rangers on the way out. Break them one way or another.

Empty net adventures, this team simply doesn't understand it.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
aside obvious Sid, Kunitz and Horny,
a very good game by our d-man, Chorney stepped up and had a really good game, Dumo good as well

I thought Scuderi had his best game too

Geno, well I am not worried he'll pick it up.

The worst player tonight Perron, just plain awful

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Old King Cole is really something special. I hope the Pens make him a part of their long term plans. We lucked out big time on that trade.

Dang.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
A HUGE Plus to Fleury. After the 1st period of Game 1 - he's been ****ing incredible. I forgot him in my first write up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+++++++++++++++++ Sid - Felt going into the playoffs that his game was in a better place in terms of the playoffs than at any time since 2010. Tonight proved it.

+++++++++ Horny - Tonight shows why that Neal deal was good for the Pens.

+++ Kunitz - I give up. I'm done fighting it and instead will hope he doesn't suck.

+/- Malkin - Not going to blame him for what he can't control. But, he passed twice when he needed to shoot. One was inexplicable. The other, I get trying to get Sid the FU Hatty, but it was inexplicable too. That said, here's why I'm not giving a full minus: His defensive game in the third was absolutely stellar. Saved what would've been a goal by the Rangers PK. Outmuscled Nash who would've had a prime chance if he wins that battle on the sequence that led to the Pens PP with 2.5 minutes left. Lots of other stuff.

++++++++++ Lappy, Comeau - No commentary necessary.

++++ Sutter - I still wish ES Sutter were as great as PK Sutter, because it's the only way to justify what it's going to cost to keep him.

+++++++++++ Chorney and Cole - Pens two best defensemen tonight. Neither better sit.

+++++++ Dumo - Solid

+/- Scuderi - Didn't suck. Actually made a few plays later.

+++++++++++++++++ Fleury - Outplayed Hank.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
CBC: "Sid was good, but the story is, they didn't need him to be good. This was about Brandon Sutter and Chris Kunitz"

...?????????

If that is real - that is ****ing ********. Sid absolutely took this game over. Sutter gave us a spark and Sid turned it into a wildfire. That was all #87 and #29.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Dumoulin and Chorney were solid solid solid. If we get Ehrhoff back we might just have two pairs that can play

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
The agenda of the main forum is so obvious at times, the storyline is the undisciplined pens deserve all the penalties (ignore for a moment how many conspiracy mentions there would be if the ratio was reversed), not one person could answer if the reason for the penalty discrepancy so far is because pitt is just so undisciplined, then does that make 2 cross checks to the head and an extra overhand chop to the shoulder disciplined just because the refs ignored them?

Top logic I must say, or bias, either one.

I'm not sure how you stomach going there. I have a few Flyers friends and the few times we try to talk hockey it's like that. I think half of the rejects actually believe what they are saying and the other half are just trolling. I could be wrong and giving them too much credit they all might be mentally challenged but I'm going to guess only 50% of them are.

Regardless, I think we made everyone sad tonight. Ranger fans, Flyers fans and the officiating crew. I'll take that any night:nod:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Anyhow:

++++ Sutter
++++ Crosby
++ Hornqvist
+Kunitz : Say what you want, he was good tonight. Great even.
+Fleury : Played very well. Easier night than on Thursday though.

Fleury's stat line doesn't reflect how well he played tonight thanks to that late bouncer/floater/chip goal. He's doing exactly what we've always asked of him - giving the Pens a chance to win.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
That was gutsy playoff style hockey. We had 2 bad players in the first period other than that everyone was ok at worst.

Sutter gave us s spark in the 2nd. Huge props to our PK guys they did a hell of a job.

Sid was great. (**** you trib)

Hopefully Kunitz is taking advice from Orpik and saving himself for the playoffs, while increasing his trade value ;)

D was solid too given what they're up against.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
aside obvious Sid, Kunitz and Horny,
a very good game by our d-man, Chorney stepped up and had a really good game, Dumo good as well

I thought Scuderi had his best game too

Geno, well I am not worried he'll pick it up.

The worst player tonight Perron, just plain awful

He needs to start doing something besides coughing the puck up.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Really gutsy win. So many things I dislike about our offense, but 5 on 5 we play playoff hockey defensively and guys went to the net and made plays offensively. Huge 2PP goals from the second unit.

Malkin is playing on one leg seemingly.

And Kunitz.... well, well. You will not see a player getting three points playing worse, but he DID get three points and the assist for Sid and the 4-2 GWG shuffle were epic plays. Lets hope it lights a fire under him.

Big game from the captain. Liking the lesser lights on D - and Paul Martin. Lovejoy and Scuderi look like ass, but it works.

"Strong hockey" - obstruction and interference - won't be called. High sticks, trippings etc. will. Refereeing might be tilted somewhat, but less so with this guide in mind. We gotta make sure we are careful not to keep on taking so many dumb penalties.

Hope the Rangers get a bit rattled after this one. They know how much we're hurting on the back end and how we backed into the playoffs. Game 3 got a lot more interesting as the air of inevitability is gone after this game. At least for a while :).

crawz87

Mar 18, 2010
Did Sid pass up an empty net HT to try and pass it to Geno or was Lundqvist still in the net?

Yea as soon as he saw Geno he passed it to him. Was trying to get Geno going. Geno tried to get him the puck back, but it didn't work out. Honestly, that's all leadership.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
scuderi must be happily married, because he has the weakest pair of wrists I can imagine. dumo and chorney looking like our second pair

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
++ Sid, Sutter, Kunitz
+ Lapierre, Hornqvist, Fleury.
+ Chorney. he's really stepped up, considering he was ranked behind so many of our D in AHL this season. And Cole.
+ Coaching/bench decisions this game seem better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad