Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Rangers 3 - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Sweep

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
just when I think I'm getting over it. something or someone {like ice capp} comes along and reopens the wound. .......then someone dumps the salt in it. and I'm right back to where I started.

Don't worry, when Lovejoy scores the Stanley Cup winning goal in game 7 OT by banking a shot off Despres' fat ***, you'll feel all better. :sarcasm:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I actually enjoyed this game some.

We played like we actually gave half a ****.

But we still play like a giant pack of girls.

Ally22

Jul 3, 2013
I actually enjoyed this game some.

We played like we actually gave half a ****.

But we still play like a giant pack of girls.

Gee I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to play like girls.

image.jpg

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
One other thing:

Physical, defensive play isn't about skill or talent or finding the right players.

It's about coaching and accountability. James Neal is skating, trying to cover the points, going to the net, working the walls.

Every player on Anaheim, even the midgets (which there are only a couple) throw the body.

It's about doing it. Holding people accountable when they don't.

Anaheim can't skate for ****, but they know what they have to do to win and to punish the opposing team. It's not ****ing rocket science.

we've seen neal play that way when he first came to the pens.
but, enough time in the country club atmosphere certainly changed him

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Either way as in IcedCapp offs JR in the billiard room with the candlestick or IcedCapp offs JR in the kitchen with the revolver?

The important part is that there will be no trace evidence either way.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
we've seen neal play that way when he first came to the pens.
but, enough time in the country club atmosphere certainly changed him

Reminds me of what I thought of Maatta last year . . . he seemed to be a much better defenseman playing on instinct before the Pens 'coached him up'. :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I 100% agree with IC's post. I'll even add accountability is part of a team make up, too. I watched Neal get cheap shot in Game 2 going to the bench. It was bad. He didn't turn around or anything. He didn't say anything. He just went to the bench and took it.

On the Pens he would have lost his mind.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I 100% agree with IC's post. I'll even add accountability is part of a team make up, too. I watched Neal get cheap shot in Game 2 going to the bench. It was bad. He didn't turn around or anything. He didn't say anything. He just went to the bench and took it.

On the Pens he would have lost his mind.

The way today's game is going, he may lose it yet . . . :laugh:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I called Rags in 5, and I'm sticking to it. I don't think we get much of an edge at all playing at home (though I really hope we wear our '92 duds!). So not much home-ice advantage in our case.

But damn I wanna win this series badly now. This team sucks me back in every time.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I called Rags in 5, and I'm sticking to it. I don't think we get much of an edge at all playing at home (though I really hope we wear our '92 duds!). So not much home-ice advantage in our case.

But damn I wanna win this series badly now. This team sucks me back in every time.

We get matchup advantage. Who cares about our dead fans in CEC? :)

May 10, 2010
Does this help soften any hard feelings given how well Cole has played for us:

Despres for Cole
Bortuzzo for Lovejoy

How about

Despres stays on team.
Bortuzzo for Cole.

And then we can stop treading water and actually get better instead of doing mental gymnastics to rationalize and make our feels not hurt.

penspenspens

Feb 2, 2014

Yeah after seeing game 2 I'm starting to become "damn, it would suck if we lose the series". Not there yet, but another win and I'm in.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah after seeing game 2 I'm starting to become "damn, it would suck if we lose the series". Not there yet, but another win and I'm in.

Going to be very interesting to see how they respond in game 3.

It's no longer a show. I mean, I saw desperation from the Pens. I don't see or hear that from the Rangers . . . they're acting like a team that is taking the Pens lightly. And, AV's line matching and stretch pass or bust thing. It really just reminds me of the Pens under Bylsma . . .

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Going to be very interesting to see how they respond in game 3.

It's no longer a show. I mean, I saw desperation from the Pens. I don't see or hear that from the Rangers . . . they're acting like a team that is taking the Pens lightly. And, AV's line matching and stretch pass or bust thing. It really just reminds me of the Pens under Bylsma . . .

Peetty much this. But the Pens win game 3 and then you have a real series. I doubt that the Rags wake up until then.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Peetty much this. But the Pens win game 3 and then you have a real series. I doubt that the Rags wake up until then.

You could be right, but that's when it gets really hard to turn back on the switch, especially if your coach is coaching arrogantly as the Pens have proven

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I want to believe Yandle cross checking Comeau, Boyle hitting Lapierre after the final buzzer and Brassard screaming at Chorney were signs that the Rangers are breaking mentally. Come on, the shoe has to be on the other foot at some point, right?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I want to believe Yandle cross checking Comeau, Boyle hitting Lapierre after the final buzzer and Brassard screaming at Chorney were signs that the Rangers are breaking mentally. Come on, the shoe has to be on the other foot at some point, right?

Breaking may be a little bit much, but what I'm starting to see is what I've seen from the Pens the last few years . . . a team that expects to win but doesn't back it up in terms of the desperation out there, a team that gets lulled by stretches where it dominates into a sense of complacency, a coach who thinks his team is too good vis-a-vis the opponent to worry too much about linematching or what the other team is doing defensively, and, yes, what you cited . . . a level of frustration you shouldn't see when things don't go their way.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Unless you're Milbury, then it's in your hand :sarcasm:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm really late to the after show.

Really liked what they showed, and if the Rangers keep up their narrative this could be quite the even series even being down many.

That Pres trophy is a dagger. Not that they can't win this series.

Lappy, Koon, Sid and the spring Flower had power games.

Cole and Chorney are huge bright spots on defense. Seen both get pounded and they keep trucking. <---we're not use to this kind of stability and great play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad