Post-Game Talk: Pens 4 Habs 0 | Beau + The Boys Win One for the Duper

Michael8771*

Actually, Malkin is much better when he's in shoot-first mode. Giving him a skilled passer in Bennett would get him to start shooting more.
That's interesting, because when Neal was his wing man he had his best goal total of his career. I'd rather have a sniper there, it keeps the opposition honest and they can't completely prevent two good goal scorers from racking it up.

Also, if you that you then take a playmaker out of the third line. And we'd be back to being top heavy.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
First off I'm not a big hater of Dupuis playing in the top six. It's not ideal, but I'm not exactly against it. We need to make a trade though, no question about that. If we add one more skilled and proven top six guy (ideally two) we should be fine. But I don't subscribe to the theory that we should be a top heavy team. That formula simply won't work.

Except the Penguins wouldn't be top-heavy team. A third line of Dupuis-Sutter-Downie and a fourth line of Spaling-Goc-Comeau is a legit bottom 6 on a playoff team.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
That's interesting, because when Neal was his wing man he had his best goal total of his career. I'd rather have a sniper there, it keeps the opposition honest and they can't completely prevent two good goal scorers from racking it up.

That's true, but after that season Malkin started defering to Neal way too much. He made Neal a 40-goal scorer by being a 50-goal scorer himself.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Yeah, but first Johnston has to get over this idea of "forward duos." Bennett has too much talent to not be tried in the top 6, and Malkin and Hornqvist have ZERO chemistry 5-on-5.

Well, Geno and Horny have had, what, 3 games together? With no preseason time together either. I think I can give it another couple weeks before I get fed up with it.

And also, with everything we talk about, I think there's a tendency to dismiss something because we (or maybe it's only myself) are still used to Bylsma trying square peg, round hole stuff for the last five years. With the way the season has started so far, and how great overall the system looks and the players are buying in, I think it's only fair to give Johnston's ideas more than just a few games before throwing them out the window. The dude knows what he's doing, and I think the results will continue to show that.

Michael8771*

Except the Penguins wouldn't be top-heavy team. A third line of Dupuis-Sutter-Downie and a fourth line of Spaling-Goc-Comeau is a legit bottom 6 on a playoff team.
We can agree to disagree I guess. Those lines aren't bad but I think we could do better if JR adds the right piece via a trade(s).

Michael8771*

That's true, but after that season Malkin started defering to Neal way too much. He made Neal a 40-goal scorer by being a 50-goal scorer himself.
And I'm hoping for something similar with the right trade.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
To clarify... I'm not saying to stick Bennett on the first or second line next game. I'm fine with him working on his game on the third line with a guy he has chemistry with in Sutter. But it better not be something that is off the table. The overall puck skills and offensive vision in the top six is pretty embarrassing, right the moment and a trade is still probably a while off. If Bennett keeps playing well (and I think he can)... it should be a no-brainer to move him up in a few games.

This is where I stand on the topic too. Its fine to get him back into the mix on the 3rd line, I just don't want it to be a permanent solution, assuming no moves are made. He's proven, albeit in small sample sizes, that he can play with top talent. I have no doubt he can play at a high level, he just needs to stay healthy.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
nl9d7sS.png

I did a paint for y'all

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Fleury getting all these shutouts seems like a pretty good indicator we have a good system going this year. No way he'd have this many shutouts under Bylsma.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Didn't Geno have awesome chemistry with Beau before? Beau with Geno and Kunitz. Dup can slot in with Sid and Hornqvist. It at least gives us something right now to work with. It's not like Sid and Kunitz are lighting the world on fire.

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Pens are 7-1-1 on the road, including wins in Montreal, Minnesota and Nashville. Combined score of those three games: 11-1

Not bad.

Stat picking at its finest but still pretty cool. We will take it.

I just got back from the Bell Centre. All the Beau Bennett detractors can suck it!

The end.

Glad you had a blast. I thought everyone loved beau here?? The only haters are ones who get frustrated he's injured a lot.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Fleury getting all these shutouts seems like a pretty good indicator we have a good system going this year. No way he'd have this many shutouts under Bylsma.

Not just the system, also personnel decisions. Gladams and Scudapik being used the way they were was just begging for momentum shifts and goals against.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't care much what we do with Beau tbh. If he stays on the third line, he makes the third line good. If he moves to the top six, maybe he helps out there. It's win/win.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
+ Letang/Martin its been a great pairing for the pens, since last year Letang has played his best hockey with Martin.

+ 3rd line, its nice to have some depth, the pens can now win games without getting major contributions from Sid and Geno.

- Sill Last year i thought he could be a decent 4th liner, i was wrong, hes pretty useless out there, there has to be somebody in the AHL better then him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad