Post-Game Talk: Pens 4-1 win vs Canucks: The one where the Penguin eats the Orca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
We scored two 5 on 3 goals? Truly a (pre) Christmas miracle. :)

The Canucks are terrible but we still needed fortunate deflections for all three of Jake's goals. Nevertheless, a deserved win and of course almost no comments here because complaining is much more fun. Carter being a ghost is worrying and even the eternally positive Bob Errey is now criticizing Kapanen. But we can get wins... if we score first, that is.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Where's the 40+ pages of over-the-top prognostications of doom and hyperventilating, arched eyebrows finger-pointing and criticisms? Oh yeah, we won and it started at 10:00 pm.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Good: I’m happy for Jarry, he’s playing well, and the team defense was pretty good, however this is the Canucks…we got a much needed 2 points with the top dogs in Metro all winning as well…we can’t fall much further behind…

the bad: why can’t anyone else but Jake score, and why do we have to get insane puck luck by bouncing shots off D men in order to score? Also, the line shuffling did nothing…it wasn’t the right shuffle because Sullivan is clueless, so I’m sure we’ll still see Jake-Sid-ERod glued together for the foreseeable future lol…

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Crosby's starting to heat up, it's about time.

Naw......ship him out while he's still worth something. Just think what we could get and you know, get the next Crosby in the draft and we wouldn't have as much of a rebuild.

Am I doing this right?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
While the Canucks are bad this year, one of the things that stood out to me watching this game this morning was that Jarry isn't letting himself get distracted the way he did against other bad teams last year (like the infamous 3rd period meltdown against NJD). We won't know if he'll be able to put it together this year until the post season (knock on wood), but he looks way more focused this year.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the standings are shaping up so the Penguins are firmly in WC1 or WC2 with about 95 points. I checked out the standings last night and I just don't see anyone below the Penguins either good enough to beat them over a full season or close enough to catch them.

The Islanders though, yikes.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I think the standings are shaping up so the Penguins are firmly in WC1 or WC2 with about 95 points. I checked out the standings last night and I just don't see anyone below the Penguins either good enough to beat them over a full season or close enough to catch them.

Maybe Boston. Or Flyers if they put it together. Detroit probably won't stay in a wc spot though.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
It's not that Jake's putting up points. I genuinely couldn't give a f*** less about RS points from the guy, as his problem has been playoff hockey for years.

It's that he's firing away at range again, and getting good mustard on his shots. That's a really good sign. If he keeps up his (admittedly really good) play around the net come playoff time, he'll get manhandled and completely taken out of the game. If he's able to find soft ice and be a threat from the circles, that's where I think he can turn his shit around in a post season atmosphere.

Or keep padding those stats and increasing his trade value. Either way. :popcorn:

like 10 games, one series back from shoulder injury vs Montreal, and two rounds vs the best defensive team in the NHL.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Appreciate the optimism but Detroit and Boston could easily get the two WC spots…it’s too early to say…of course someone might drop off, but no reason to assume that’s Detroit and not the Pens

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
That win really helps the penguins for the second wild card spot. Boston can still take over 8th but the BJ's and Flyers losing streak kinda makes Boston the only team that can take over WC2 with games in hand.

Better than dropping to 10-11th... but still... Boston is very close.

Reactions: Night Shift

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We scored two 5 on 3 goals? Truly a (pre) Christmas miracle. :)

The Canucks are terrible but we still needed fortunate deflections for all three of Jake's goals. Nevertheless, a deserved win and of course almost no comments here because complaining is much more fun. Carter being a ghost is worrying and even the eternally positive Bob Errey is now criticizing Kapanen. But we can get wins... if we score first, that is.

I gotta disagree here. Carter being a ghost should have been expected. We're riding him too hard, plus he's due for a regression and everyone should have seen this coming. He should never have been our 2C plan, even as a stopgap.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Yeah if it were Malkin we'd be hearing about how he's sulking and why we should trade him for a late 1st because he can't produce with the dynamic duo of Zucker and Kapanen.
I mean, these are all obviously true things though. Clearly prioritizing team Russia over the Pens and trying to run Kessel out of Arizona now, too.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

Careful......and I hate to say it but injuries happen. We know all too well

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I gotta disagree here. Carter being a ghost should have been expected. We're riding him too hard, plus he's due for a regression and everyone should have seen this coming. He should never have been our 2C plan, even as a stopgap.

Agree with 1/2 of this. As a stopgap sure use him, but it just so happens he's almost a permanent fixture due to our injuries and length.

I like Carter alot but come playoffs dude gonna be beat and worn more than the bartender that's been working 40 years at the local drinking hole.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Good: I’m happy for Jarry, he’s playing well, and the team defense was pretty good, however this is the Canucks…we got a much needed 2 points with the top dogs in Metro all winning as well…we can’t fall much further behind…

the bad: why can’t anyone else but Jake score, and why do we have to get insane puck luck by bouncing shots off D men in order to score? Also, the line shuffling did nothing…it wasn’t the right shuffle because Sullivan is clueless, so I’m sure we’ll still see Jake-Sid-ERod glued together for the foreseeable future lol…

Meh I disagree on some of that. I thought line three looked wayyyyy better without zar. I’d try swapping carter and Erod still tho.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I got back home from Thanksgiving travels and retrieved Ziggy from boarding, you're all welcome.

View attachment 487422 View attachment 487423

I'm gonna call Ziggy our miniature Wookie.
644b0c281eaa740460c3671536e12eab.gif

Last edited:

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Our best players were our best players. Good to see Sid have a big game and hopefully he can link some together. DOC still showing he belongs on the roster.

Carter still, ufffff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad