Post-Game Talk: Pens 4-1 win vs Canucks: The one where the Penguin eats the Orca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jake on the road...

sKXmaAE.gif

Best game I've seen from Sid.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Our "smother the other team and get a million shots" 5v5 offense looks a lot better when we can add a few powerplay goals to pad it out.

Take those away and this is another 2-1 win lol. Or possibly even a loss if the Canucks get a bounce.

The PP matters and we need to get it going

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Jake, Jarry, Sid. Good 2 points. Right now we just need to cement that wildcard spot. Can´t imagine us going higher than that but that wildcard spot is open for us with Columbus, NJ, Philly and Isles all struggling.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Obvious pluses to Guentzel and Sid. Jarry was good as well..

I liked Bluegers and McGinn, but I don't think Kap fits on that line either. They should swap him an ERod.

Dumo/Letang played well, same as Marino/Petts. Petts has been way better this year on the whole vs last year.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Obvious pluses to Guentzel and Sid. Jarry was good as well..

I liked Bluegers and McGinns, but I don't think Kap fits on that line either. They should swap him an ERod.

Dumo/Letang played well, same as Marino/Petts. Petts has been way better this year on the whole vs last year.

Kapanen ... I just don't know. I keep waiting for him to break out but aside from that hattrick game, he hasn't been the skilled forward who provides secondary scoring that I was hoping he'd be.

I do like the idea of swapping him with E-Rod. Kappy can be the neutral zone puck carrier for the Crosby line, then dish it off to Sid/Jake once he enters the zone. Plus he's got more natural ability than E-Rod.

E-Rod's more effective when he's on a defensive line where he can just put his head down and try and create one man offense off of rushes. He's not really suited to doing what Sid and Jake need out of their third wheel.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's not that Jake's putting up points. I genuinely couldn't give a f*** less about RS points from the guy, as his problem has been playoff hockey for years.

It's that he's firing away at range again, and getting good mustard on his shots. That's a really good sign. If he keeps up his (admittedly really good) play around the net come playoff time, he'll get manhandled and completely taken out of the game. If he's able to find soft ice and be a threat from the circles, that's where I think he can turn his shit around in a post season atmosphere.

Or keep padding those stats and increasing his trade value. Either way. :popcorn:

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's not that Jake's putting up points. I genuinely couldn't give a f*** less about RS points from the guy, as his problem has been playoff hockey for years.

It's that he's firing away at range again, and getting good mustard on his shots. That's a really good sign. If he keeps up his (admittedly really good) play around the net come playoff time, he'll get manhandled and completely taken out of the game. If he's able to find soft ice and be a threat from the circles, that's where I think he can turn his shit around in a post season atmosphere.

Or keep padding those stats and increasing his trade value. Either way. :popcorn:

Yeah he's found a way to be a threat from range again and that's huge. People talk about him getting manhandled near the crease his last few playoffs and shying away from contact due to the shoulder injury but I think people forget that during his really good run during his rookie season he actually scored a lot of playoff goals from all over the ice. He wasn't just good around the paint. Plenty of goals from range.

So I think you're right. He gets that back and he's a threat in the playoffs. If he can only score goals around the paint, it'll be a struggle.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Kapanen ... I just don't know. I keep waiting for him to break out but aside from that hattrick game, he hasn't been the skilled forward who provides secondary scoring that I was hoping he'd be.

I do like the idea of swapping him with E-Rod. Kappy can be the neutral zone puck carrier for the Crosby line, then dish it off to Sid/Jake once he enters the zone. Plus he's got more natural ability than E-Rod.

E-Rod's more effective when he's on a defensive line where he can just put his head down and try and create one man offense off of rushes. He's not really suited to doing what Sid and Jake need out of their third wheel.

I think he'll be fine once Malkin comes back. Those 2 worked very well together. I'd just like to see him tried with Sid out of curiosuty. He doesn't work with Erod, doesn't work with Carter, and didn't work, with a very limited sample, with Blueger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad