Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Sharks 1: Geno then Murray then Fehr Drop the Microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Some on this Board supported the "not allowed to leave your feet to block shots" in general discussions on how to increase scoring. That was all before Sullivan got here, IIRC.

Re the ice surface in SJ, it was bad for both teams, but it's really bad for the league whose TV ratings have suffered during the playoffs. Between that and the inevitable regression by the Refs into allowing DPE obstruction (remember in the first round when they were routinely calling 4-5 penalties per team?), the last couple games probably have been pretty poor watching for potential fans who don't follow the Pens or Sharks.

Having watched the Pens blow a 3-0 lead in '75 and lose again in '93 to a team they should have crushed, in my view, no lead in games is safe.

I would still ban shotblocking (not leaving your feet, which isn't necessarily even more effective--all shotblocking) if I knew how to do that and had the power to ban things, but I don't. I'm sure the player's association would just love it if you faxed them a proposal to take all the armor out of the armor.

I would also penalize zone defenses, so I'm, admittedly, way out on a limb on most stuff that I view as suppressing scoring.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Also... though it might be consensus that the Sens "Tubby Spartan" shtick was the more cringeworthy of the two... that rendition of the national anthem has to be up there. What an embarrassment. The first few bars were OK. Then both (Hetfield, in particular) proceeded to take a sloppy, noodly, chuggy dump all over it.

Don't forget the time we played Ottawa and they dragged out Measha Brueggergosman to do the anthems.

Both benches were corpsing so hard.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Don't forget the time we played Ottawa and they dragged out Measha Brueggergosman to do the anthems.

Both benches were corpsing so hard.

Oh wow... yeah. And I thought you were having a giggle at her last name. Nope. That's really how it's spelled.

If I recall... Crosby was barely holding in laughter during that badly overwrought performance.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It is also moronic and simplistic to shout 'blocked shots, blocked shots'. The Pens are using their speed to harass players with the puck and get into lanes. Positionally sound hockey, and outright owning the puck, has much more to do with what they do than blocking shots.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It does.

But they are still intentionally blocking a metric asston of shots.

It is what it is. I'm not gonna complain. But ideally I don't much care for it to be as big a part of the game as it's become.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
There was a cartoon floating around here the other day showing a sequence of victims in the playoff run. I want to say it had doors with team logos with blood running out for all of Rags/Caps/Bolts, with an open door for the sharks. Might have been main boards. Can't find it now for the life of me. Help?

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Shot blocking increased when players started wearing the foot shields. And it would be very hard to take those away from them.

So your really kinda stuck with it. Changing the rules is unpredictable and potentially dangerous.

IMO all the league needs to do to make the games more exciting is simply call more penalties. There would be 5-6 powerplays per side in the finals, not 1-2.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Shot blocking increased when players started wearing the foot shields. And it would be very hard to take those away from them.

So your really kinda stuck with it. Changing the rules is unpredictable and potentially dangerous.

IMO all the league needs to do to make the games more exciting is simply call more penalties. There would be 5-6 powerplays per side in the finals, not 1-2.

That would be the best place to start, yeah. Actually, you know... enforcing the rules.

I can't help but mostly agree with your assessment on shot blocking. I don't see a reasonable way to resolve it. It used to be a rare bird. Seeing as how you stood a good chance of getting badly injured. With this high tech, lightweight combat armor these guys all wear... it's as commonplace as a hit, now.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
It is also moronic and simplistic to shout 'blocked shots, blocked shots'. The Pens are using their speed to harass players with the puck and get into lanes. Positionally sound hockey, and outright owning the puck, has much more to do with what they do than blocking shots.

A player going down to block a shot means he isn't covering someone and is not in a passing lane. Burns should be able to fake and drag around defenders like this, but he really resembles Letang in that he is more raw talent than a smart player. Anyway, I really don't understand the complaining. The Penguins are playing offensive hockey for most of the periods and completely destroying their opponents. Of course Flyers and Caps fans (and all the other haters) are going to make up the most ridiculous of excuses. I might be able to at least understand it if we were more like Torts' Rangers, but it is fast hockey.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I have a problem with shot blocking when it's all a team does because they don't have the skill to do anything else. The Pens are still primarily an offensive team and fun to watch. I'd care a lot more if the league intended to do anything about all of the obstruction that goes uncalled, but they obviously don't so I can't be bothered to care either.

This is the most Pittsburgh thing ever.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I didn't see this posted. Thought you guys might like:

https://streamable.com/gkcm

It's the mosh pit on the Penguins bench after Fehr's goal. Lots of quality stuff going on. The super distraught Sharks fan behind the glass, Malkin dry humping Kessel, etc.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have a problem with shot blocking when it's all a team does because they don't have the skill to do anything else. The Pens are still primarily an offensive team and fun to watch. I'd care a lot more if the league intended to do anything about all of the obstruction that goes uncalled, but they obviously don't so I can't be bothered to care either.

This is the most Pittsburgh thing ever.

They should make the road "do not enter" going both ways :p

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
So, it seems the NHL tracks shot types ... who knew?

Here's a graphic of how many times he ... hit ... the ... post (or crossbar)

vohRcW1.png

Breakdown for the Pens this playoffs is here

switch23

Sep 22, 2010
I didn't see this posted. Thought you guys might like:

https://streamable.com/gkcm

It's the mosh pit on the Penguins bench after Fehr's goal. Lots of quality stuff going on. The super distraught Sharks fan behind the glass, Malkin dry humping Kessel, etc.

Lol @ Shark fan hanging his head in agony just behind the glass and aww @ Geno hopping up & down like a happy schoolboy.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sullivan barely celebrating. Already thinking of his next matchup.

The Sharks fan closest to the camera fidgeting with his little Sharkie towel.

Sullivan knows there's no point in celebrating when they're going to lose. He's a wise man.

Marns

Jul 31, 2006
Toronto, ON
www.thestretchpass.com
One thing I'm looking forward to on Thursday is seeing how our speed impacts the game, because we won't be playing on that Californian slush. I think we did a good job of playing through that the last two games, but I'm sure the Pittsburgh ice will be favourable to us.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ben Lovejoy missed wide: 13

Story checks out.

There's so much dog bites man in these post-season statistics for the league as a whole.

Most backhands

Most slapshots

Most deflections

Most wrist shots

I'd be disappointed if it took anyone more than two guesses to answer any of these right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad