Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Sharks 1: Geno then Murray then Fehr Drop the Microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If the Pens win it at home, I predict Sid will hand off the cup to Dupuis and also that the ensuing cheer will be the loudest in the history of Pittsburgh hockey (excluding the clock hitting 0).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Jinxes aren't about affecting outcomes, they're about comfort. I don't like jinxing things because I want people to enjoy 3-1 before the Penguins choke it away and lose 4-3. It's been fun while it lasted, but here comes the pain train.

:laugh: You're unrelenting.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
If the Pens win it at home, I predict Sid will hand off the cup to Dupuis and also that the ensuing cheer will be the loudest in the history of Pittsburgh hockey (excluding the clock hitting 0).

ugh, i hope not

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh

Yeah half the office bought onto the Dupuis train. Its a favorite pick.

Knowing how detail-obsessive Crosby is though, i gotta figure he goes with seniority again.

Problem with that theory is Lovejoy holds up the cup before Malkin, Kessel, or Murray. And i think i might spit my beer out if Fleury touches it before Murray does.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The only team in NHL HISTORY to comeback from 3-1 down in the SCF? Your 2016 San Jose Sharks. Led by Joe Thornton.

Oh god, it's washing over me like a golden shower

eT9OafS.jpg

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Jinxes aren't about affecting outcomes, they're about comfort. I don't like jinxing things because I want people to enjoy 3-1 before the Penguins choke it away and lose 4-3. It's been fun while it lasted, but here comes the pain train.

:D

Indeed.

Pressing obligations kept me away from here for game 1 (and I only got to catch the third period)... and they won. So away I stayed. Game 2 win... not posting to the boards. Game 3 loss would have released me from this silly-to-most superstition but my immune system chose Sunday as the day it was gonna take a giant dump and I slept for two days straight.

I'm on board now, though. Trade Malkin. He stinks. (sorry, I'm still weak and pumped full of Nyquil... my game will get better before the puck drops)

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
The only team in NHL HISTORY to comeback from 3-1 down in the SCF? Your 2016 San Jose Sharks. Led by Joe Thornton.

Oh god, it's washing over me like a golden shower

I thought 1 team of 32 did? Just want someone posted.

But yeah anyway it isn't happening this year. Anyone want to take a huge bet on that with me just send me a PM

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I hope we come out focused and take care of business in game 5. This is still a talented Sharks team, and if we give them any life we could regret it.

I said before this game 4 started that we needed a powerplay goal to put that game away and I am so glad we got it. Without that Malkin goal we almost certainly blow that lead and maybe lose in OT again.

Game 5 will be no different. Gotta execute on special teams. The games have been too close.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As an aside, it sounds like a cliched overused trope, but I truly believe that this year, assuming that the Pens win that last game, the Conn Smythe should go to the entire team. Every player but one who was not a goalie scored a goal.

There was no one player who took this team on its back and pulled them to a cup. Some scored a little more, but the depth and skill throughout the lineup is why this team is one away. The biggest names did well, but no one had a playoffs for the ages.

However the team did some things, like the possession numbers or not surrendering a lead for 436 minutes, over seven games in the conference and cup finals, which may never be duplicated.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I thought 1 team of 32 did? Just want someone posted.

But yeah anyway it isn't happening this year. Anyone want to take a huge bet on that with me just send me a PM

One team did it in 1942. However that team had two of their final three games at home. None have ever come back down three games to one with two of the final three games on the road.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Daily reminder that this franchise has choked away two 3-1 series leads since the Cup.

This isn't over. Especially against a team with a ton of firepower and a lethal PP waiting to break out.

Obvious we're in almost as good a spot as you can be, but we haven't won anything yet. I'm hoping like Hell the Pens come out and blow the Sharks out of the water in game 5. I do not want that team to hang around.

The Sharks have looked very mediocre the entire series, I haven't feared them since the drop of the puck in game 1.

This isn't the weak willed Bylsma teams, no way Sully lets this team blow a 3-1 lead in the freaking Stanley Cup Final.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There are 5 people to get consideration:

Crosby
Murray
Kessel
Letang
Bonino

IMHO...MVP of the Penguins playoff run has been Matt Murray. I really don't see how that could be disputed. However...I do believe it goes to Crosby because of the name and legacy. Right or wrong, no matter. You can cherry pick enough stats to support Crosby getting it.

Murray is a tight 2nd. Kessel is 3rd. 3rd is a lot closer to #1 though than people realize.

I'm not gonna be surprised if it's Sid, Murray, or Kessel. I'm just excited at the possibility to find out.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also... though it might be consensus that the Sens "Tubby Spartan" shtick was the more cringeworthy of the two... that rendition of the national anthem has to be up there. What an embarrassment. The first few bars were OK. Then both (Hetfield, in particular) proceeded to take a sloppy, noodly, chuggy dump all over it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If I could have one thing on Thursday, other than the win, it would be to have Cullen scoring the game winning goal.

Like, tied late in the 3rd and Cullen comes up big with a snipe to win it all.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Also... though it might be consensus that the Sens "Tubby Spartan" shtick was the more cringeworthy of the two... that rendition of the national anthem has to be up there. What an embarrassment. The first few bars were OK. Then both (Hetfield, in particular) proceeded to take a sloppy, noodly, chuggy dump all over it.

Glad to see you're feeling better :)

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2086915

If the Pens end up winning the cup, I want Rossi fired out of a trebuchet into the Monongahela during the parade.

Some on this Board supported the "not allowed to leave your feet to block shots" in general discussions on how to increase scoring. That was all before Sullivan got here, IIRC.

Re the ice surface in SJ, it was bad for both teams, but it's really bad for the league whose TV ratings have suffered during the playoffs. Between that and the inevitable regression by the Refs into allowing DPE obstruction (remember in the first round when they were routinely calling 4-5 penalties per team?), the last couple games probably have been pretty poor watching for potential fans who don't follow the Pens or Sharks.

Having watched the Pens blow a 3-0 lead in '75 and lose again in '93 to a team they should have crushed, in my view, no lead in games is safe.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I genuinely feel bad for the guy if that's his "good" photo. :<

That's certainly a flattering one, yeah.

re: shot blocking -- frankly I kind of hate it. And I think it doesn't really do much for the general entertainment value of the game. At all. But as someone more eloquent than me put it already -- the Penguins are just playing the hand they have been dealt. I'm pretty confident that they could hang even better in a league that wasn't half-broken and let it's talent shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad