Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Panthers 2 (OT): Kunitz Elevates Sid, Leads Pens to Two Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, i find Pooh has an actual sense of purpose in the D-zone now compared to last year and coming out of camp this year.

He's not standing still and poking his stick around like a junior. He's using his body/positioning more, pushing guys off pucks with his upper body strength more, etc.

Just keep doing more and more of that plz.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I wanted to trade Letang 3 years ago as I do now. Especially now when he is healthy and performing well. I don't though trust JR to get the right return though so I guess you keep him until you get a gm with vision.

This team has no shot at winning it all.. Fact

S0XZQ3X.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
While I do enjoy Pouliot being better position-ally, I still want to see that offensive production from him that we all know he is capable of. He's shown it in the WHL and AHL, I hope it's just a matter of time before we see more of that in the NHL.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Since today was a franchise record it seems... what are some of the best (or just your favorite) come from behind victories?

- Pens/Hawks Game 1 SCF: I was a youngster at this time so I didn't comprehend everything, but the stadium was so loud. I'll never forget that. We were down 4-1 :laugh:

- Billy G's last milisecond game tying goal against the Bs.

- Talbot's shush game against the Flyers. Down 3-0.

Off the top of my head those 3 immediately come to mind. Tonight's felt less likely than those 3. That's for sure.

They were trailing 2-0 in the third against Buffalo in 2003 I believe? Lemieux scored off a face off and had 4 points in the third in a 4-2 or 5-2 win, I think 5-2. Not the most important comeback but some bonus Lemieux magic I never thought I'd see again after '97 is always nice.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
For me it's the Staal hat-trick game against Detroit as far as regular season games go. Definitely the Talbot "Shhh" game for playoffs.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
His game has not been bi polar since his call up.

Yeah he's looked good. I've seen him play a nasty game in junior, he was weak but competed pretty hard. I think its in him to play a harder game but he just gets nervous.

I've always thought of him as a Kaberle type and think he can still be that good. I don't expect a flawless game from offensive defensemen... the good just has to outweigh the bad.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
I missed the end of the game last night because I had to get my 2 year old son to bed, and I couldn't for the life of me understand why you guys were being all on Kunitz for initiating the comeback...

Then I saw the replay of Steigy's call on Letang's first. Wow, was that an awful goal call.

P.S. Kessel was completely snubbed by his teammates on the game-winning celebrations.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Or maybe it should be a lesson to folks to never judge players with proven track records based on a 30 game slump rather than judging them on a decade worth of results. ;)

that was not a slump. The slump is when a player hits the wall under the same or similar circumstances and conditions that had prior to that. In Sid's case he was put in position to fail. 200 feet game, where you have to expand all your energy fighting behind your own net, waiting for a minimum three of your teamates to get together to try to get the puck through the cluttered neutral zone and in the rare moments when you have puck behind you have scuderi or lovejoy holding your blueline allowing all 5 seconds of your attack.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
One of the best things Sullivan has done, out of all the negative, is put Sid and Letang on the ice at the same time. I was so sick of watching Sid make incredible plays to set up rob scuderi.

That's a good point. I forgot, or suppressed my memories, of Johnson separating Letang from the top lines in hopes of spreading the talent around. It served to neuter everyone.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I wanted to trade Letang 3 years ago as I do now. Especially now when he is healthy and performing well. I don't though trust JR to get the right return though so I guess you keep him until you get a gm with vision.

At least you're consistent and stick to your opinions.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Thing about thier resiliency under Sullivan has been the play of not only Letang from the back end but Daley.

He fed Tang the one timer pass on the tying goal and did magificent work to get the puck down low to Sid for the 2on1 pass to Tang for the winner.

But generally, whenever the Pens go down 1 or 2, he's always pushing the pace offensively. Fast breakouts using his quickness, joining the rush, keeping pucks alive in the O-zone/pinching.

Just don't see the Pens being AS resilient without that Daley trade.

Sullivan seems to know how to play Daley and Letang to their strengths very well. That likely translates to Pouliot and why he's looked so much better this call-up as well.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I missed the end of the game last night because I had to get my 2 year old son to bed, and I couldn't for the life of me understand why you guys were being all on Kunitz for initiating the comeback...

Then I saw the replay of Steigy's call on Letang's first. Wow, was that an awful goal call.

P.S. Kessel was completely snubbed by his teammates on the game-winning celebrations.

And when you add that to the fact that Steigy never once said Kunitz when he made that asinine turnover at the blueline for a shorty against Tampa, it sure looks like blatant Kunitz fluffing. I had to watch that again to make sure they never actually said Kunitz at all, they just kept saying "the 1st PP was out there too long".

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was out all night. Phone died. I almost catapulted my friends drink at a table when I saw Letang win it in OT.

Anyone, including myself, should be ashamed of themselves for doubting Sid earlier in the season. And those who **** on Letang constantly, there's probably a handful of D-men in the league who could play at the level he did tonight. ****ing beast.

I think this needs addressed on HF Pens. When we are in GDTs and PGTs, the analysis given is based off short-term play. It's all within the game that was just played or recent 10-15 games. I don't think for one second I ever thought Sid would continue at that level. Even when he was putting up his worst effort. There are just too many things to change in the course of a season to not try and get the spark. MJ just wasn't doing it.

Similar to last night. Letang was miserable. Tonight - gave Florida fits AND covered for a lot of Maatta's mistakes. Cullen had his worst game of the season last night even though he's been a gem of a player for us.

So ultimately my point is - while the minority of people were actually saying Sid was done (and they shouldn't even be responded to), the majority were just analyzing that point in time. There is a huge difference, IMO.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

really? Did it look deliberate or look more like an awkward high 5 or something.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yea, i find Pooh has an actual sense of purpose in the D-zone now compared to last year and coming out of camp this year.

He's not standing still and poking his stick around like a junior. He's using his body/positioning more, pushing guys off pucks with his upper body strength more, etc.

Just keep doing more and more of that plz.

One thing about DP that I'd like to see changed is when he's gambling in the corner. He doesn't stop, get the puck, then go. He literally will come in full speed and try to trust the puck will be on his stick as he swoops the corner. That's extremely difficult and I've seen it burn him a few times. Can't gamble like that in the NHL. Just can't.

That last line is just one of the worst things I've ever read in my life. If any team makes the playoffs, they have a shot at winning. Do you remember where the Pens were in 2009? I'm sure you were trying to say they had no chance of winning... "FACT" back then, too.

I'm not saying the Pens are favorites, but this brand of hockey is definitely a brand that would give teams fits. The fact you think Letang is the reason we will or will not win a Cup is hilarious. It's just wrong on so many levels.

If Letang played like last night and found more consistency when he's not at that insane level, then he will be the reason we DO win a Cup.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Pooh reminds me of some other Pens dmen who kept yo-yoing between the NHL and AHL. Really focused in the defensive zone but all of his offensive gifts have been suppressed. I understand why, and it's not killing them right now, but I hope he can put it all together at some point.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think this needs addressed on HF Pens. When we are in GDTs and PGTs, the analysis given is based off short-term play. It's all within the game that was just played or recent 10-15 games. I don't think for one second I ever thought Sid would continue at that level. Even when he was putting up his worst effort. There are just too many things to change in the course of a season to not try and get the spark. MJ just wasn't doing it.

Similar to last night. Letang was miserable. Tonight - gave Florida fits AND covered for a lot of Maatta's mistakes. Cullen had his worst game of the season last night even though he's been a gem of a player for us.

So ultimately my point is - while the minority of people were actually saying Sid was done (and they shouldn't even be responded to), the majority were just analyzing that point in time. There is a huge difference, IMO.
I can only speak for myself.

Sid played like a jerk for the first half of the season. There's being snake bitten and then there's just stupid play. People were frustrated with his stupid play and lack of trying. That's on him. He set his standard of play as being elite, I consider him elite... I expect elite.

Prices for fans don't go down when he's having a bad day or doesn't like the coach. If the Pens don't make the playoffs its mostly on Sid IMO... not Porter... not Scuds... not Kunitz...

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Pooh reminds me of some other Pens dmen who kept yo-yoing between the NHL and AHL. Really focused in the defensive zone but all of his offensive gifts have been suppressed. I understand why, and it's not killing them right now, but I hope he can put it all together at some point.

I think you see flashes of that offensive instinct because he's so talented, but I do agree. He could have a few more points than he has (I think it's up to 2 right now, and in my view they were pretty great assists) if he were more assertive with the puck. He's deferred to Lovejoy a fair amount, which is understandable but also maddening because Lovejoy has been Scuderi-esque at killing plays, while Pouliot's main talent above all else is keeping plays alive.

In my years of watching Pouliot, I've seen that confidence is a huge issue with him. Sort of like Letang, but he reacts in the opposite way that Letang does. Letang tries to do too much when his confidence is down; Pouliot kind of goes into a shell where he can't think the game properly and gets frozen up trying to make the simpler option work.

I'm hoping that if they keep playing him, the confidence will come back all the way and we'll see that offensive zone swagger more regularly. But getting him the heck away from Lovejoy would do a lot of good there, too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In Letang's first full season, he had 6 goals and 17 points in 63 games. I'm not at all concerned about Pouliot's lack of production in the NHL, his issues have been in the defensive zone and he looks to have corrected those. He is definitely a bottom pair D right now and he'll only be getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad