Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Panthers 2 (OT): Kunitz Elevates Sid, Leads Pens to Two Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
One thing about DP that I'd like to see changed is when he's gambling in the corner. He doesn't stop, get the puck, then go. He literally will come in full speed and try to trust the puck will be on his stick as he swoops the corner. That's extremely difficult and I've seen it burn him a few times. Can't gamble like that in the NHL. Just can't.

That last line is just one of the worst things I've ever read in my life. If any team makes the playoffs, they have a shot at winning. Do you remember where the Pens were in 2009? I'm sure you were trying to say they had no chance of winning... "FACT" back then, too.

I'm not saying the Pens are favorites, but this brand of hockey is definitely a brand that would give teams fits. The fact you think Letang is the reason we will or will not win a Cup is hilarious. It's just wrong on so many levels.

If Letang played like last night and found more consistency when he's not at that insane level, then he will be the reason we DO win a Cup.

This brand of hockey will give a team fits, for a game or two. There is little chance our mites hold up over a series, let alone 3 or 4. The playoffs are a different animal with every single check being finished and goals are scored in dirty areas. Will our small d'men hold up being forechecked like hell for 5 or 6 straight games? Will our offensive smurfs get to the dirty areas to score? We'll see, but I doubt it.

Edit: Not to mention the strong possibility of 2-5 AHL guys being in the lineup.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I missed the end of the game last night because I had to get my 2 year old son to bed, and I couldn't for the life of me understand why you guys were being all on Kunitz for initiating the comeback...

Then I saw the replay of Steigy's call on Letang's first. Wow, was that an awful goal call.

P.S. Kessel was completely snubbed by his teammates on the game-winning celebrations.

More and more reason to believe they look at this site. *trolling you live*:laugh:

Oh... so does this mean we're doing a "kunitz Was Here" avatar theme this year?

Embrace the trolling.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yea, i find Pooh has an actual sense of purpose in the D-zone now compared to last year and coming out of camp this year.

He's not standing still and poking his stick around like a junior. He's using his body/positioning more, pushing guys off pucks with his upper body strength more, etc.

Just keep doing more and more of that plz.

He still doesn't seem to quite have that NHL strength and viciousness in the corners. But he's definitely ahead of where he was. And I'd still like to improve his first step a bit, but given where Maatta is at maybe that will never get much better.

I just don't know if Poo has the tools to become an elite defenseman in the league. His passing ability is terrific, and he's got great hands and vision, but man his skating and strength just aren't that great. Maybe his offensive skills with the puck will be so great that he'll overcome that long term, but I have my doubts.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think you see flashes of that offensive instinct because he's so talented, but I do agree. He could have a few more points than he has (I think it's up to 2 right now, and in my view they were pretty great assists) if he were more assertive with the puck. He's deferred to Lovejoy a fair amount, which is understandable but also maddening because Lovejoy has been Scuderi-esque at killing plays, while Pouliot's main talent above all else is keeping plays alive.

In my years of watching Pouliot, I've seen that confidence is a huge issue with him. Sort of like Letang, but he reacts in the opposite way that Letang does. Letang tries to do too much when his confidence is down; Pouliot kind of goes into a shell where he can't think the game properly and gets frozen up trying to make the simpler option work.

I'm hoping that if they keep playing him, the confidence will come back all the way and we'll see that offensive zone swagger more regularly. But getting him the heck away from Lovejoy would do a lot of good there, too.

The good news is, I'm fairly happy with his defensive zone play to the point where I don't think Cole should ever come back in for him based on play (rest/injury ok). In fact, if they are subbing Cole in, maybe Lovejoy needs a break.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't have any problems with Pouliot's skating. I think he's a fine skater.

As I see it, his issues have always been related to a lack of urgency in the defensive zone. He's coasting to loose pucks and surveying his options like he has all day when there's an NHL forechecker bearing down on him. These are situations that require quick decision-making and execution.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
The good news is, I'm fairly happy with his defensive zone play to the point where I don't think Cole should ever come back in for him based on play (rest/injury ok). In fact, if they are subbing Cole in, maybe Lovejoy needs a break.

I'd be really curious/terrified to see Pouliot and Cole paired together. I don't know if they ever go there, and if we get the Cole of this year it would be a disaster. But in theory, it could outperform Pouliot and Lovejoy. They'd be babysitting each other in a sense, could be good for them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

As I see it, his issues have always been related to a lack of urgency in the defensive zone. He's coasting to loose pucks and surveying his options like he has all day when there's an NHL forechecker bearing down on him. These are situations that require quick decision-making and execution.

Yeah this is another good point, I don't have any sort of issue with Pouliot's skating like I do with Maatta's. Pouliot isn't as good of a skater as Hagelin or Letang, but I still don't think his skating is bad.

Another thing to remember: a lot of his production comes from the PP. He's not as strong offensively at ES as he is on the PP. Him playing sparingly on the 2nd unit (around a minute a game on the PP) and playing very small minutes on the 3rd pair (12 ES minutes a game) isn't a good recipe for a lot of production. Even then, he has 2 points in 5 games while playing those small minutes. I really don't see a problem.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I dunno. this brand of hockey could work in the playoffs imo.
Chicago isn't exactly huge, they got absolutely punished by the ducks but still won the series. You can't hit what you can't catch. Really if we had not had that bad turnover and if fleury was not playing poorly we would have won both games against two very good teams.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah this is another good point, I don't have any sort of issue with Pouliot's skating like I do with Maatta's. Pouliot isn't as good of a skater as Hagelin or Letang, but I still don't think his skating is bad.

Another thing to remember: a lot of his production comes from the PP. He's not as strong offensively at ES as he is on the PP. Him playing sparingly on the 2nd unit (around a minute a game on the PP) and playing very small minutes on the 3rd pair (12 ES minutes a game) isn't a good recipe for a lot of production. Even then, he has 2 points in 5 games while playing those small minutes. I really don't see a problem.

For sure. He's a guy who feasts on the PP, and when he gets his chance, I'm sure he'll make the most of it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

He wasn't/isn't the only person with this flaw.

I've seen it from Dumoulin, Maatta and really all of them to some extent. They are all putting themselves at risk. But mostly I see the young guys doing this. Dumoulin has one thing to alleviate this being his size. He can absorb the hits and still make the play.

I agree, with it being more then just him.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Crosbys nickname.. :laugh:

bing_zps6asfqdqw.png

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think this needs addressed on HF Pens. When we are in GDTs and PGTs, the analysis given is based off short-term play. It's all within the game that was just played or recent 10-15 games. I don't think for one second I ever thought Sid would continue at that level. Even when he was putting up his worst effort. There are just too many things to change in the course of a season to not try and get the spark. MJ just wasn't doing it.

Similar to last night. Letang was miserable. Tonight - gave Florida fits AND covered for a lot of Maatta's mistakes. Cullen had his worst game of the season last night even though he's been a gem of a player for us.

So ultimately my point is - while the minority of people were actually saying Sid was done (and they shouldn't even be responded to), the majority were just analyzing that point in time. There is a huge difference, IMO.

Na. Plenty of longterm posters on here were talking about scenarios where we tank. 87's best days are behind him. Etc. Etc.

You said you were done with Letang in the game against Tampa.

I mean, you can say we get heated and frustrated over the course of 82 games, but words do having meaning.

I never wanted to tank, but the thought certainly crossed my mind at times this season.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
He wasn't/isn't the only person with this flaw.

I've seen it from Dumoulin, Maatta and really all of them to some extent. They are all putting themselves at risk. But mostly I see the young guys doing this. Dumoulin has one thing to alleviate this being his size. He can absorb the hits and still make the play.

I agree, with it being more then just him.

It's the biggest thing that Dumo has added between last season and this one. He worked on his skating and now he skates hard at the puck instead of skating just quickly enough to get a stick on it.

Pou looks better in this regard so far, so here's hoping.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Na. Plenty of longterm posters on here were talking about scenarios where we tank. 87's best days are behind him. Etc. Etc.

You said you were done with Letang in the game against Tampa.

I mean, you can say we get heated and frustrated over the course of 82 games, but words do having meaning.

I never wanted to tank, but the thought certainly crossed my mind at times this season.

I don't know if I've suggested tanking, per se, but if the objective is to win a Stanley Cup, I still think we need a rebuild, which could take anywhere from 2 to 5 years. We could win the division, be eliminated in the conference finals and I'd still think that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Has Pouliot improved at all in that regard (his lack of urgency)? I've only seen a couple of the Pens games since his recall, and didn't really notice one way or the other what he looked like out there.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Has Pouliot improved at all in that regard (his lack of urgency)? I've only seen a couple of the Pens games since his recall, and didn't really notice one way or the other what he looked like out there.

I missed a few too. Had a couple issues but looks like he's made strides.

Like people have said, this more aggressive system suits his game better, so that's another factor. Ironic considering he had so much success under MJ in the Dub, but what flies there doesn't necessarily fly here, as we've seen firsthand.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
anyone who was as enraged as i was at steigy's 2nd and most egregious "kunitz was there" this year should tweet at the pens about how ridiculous it is. even the most casual fan has to go "wtf" at something like that and maybe a real backlash could do something. maybe bring up hobey baker too

I look forward to the day when Kunitz gets traded.

I think Steigy would quit out of protest.

2 for one deal!

/pray

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I look forward to the day when Kunitz gets traded.

I think Steigy would quit out of protest.

2 for one deal!

/pray

I can see it now.

*Crosby scores*

Steigy: Kunitz! Chris Kunitz lights the lamp!!! What a move by Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu- Oh. It was Sid... nice goal from the captain. *silently cries*

*Sobs loudly and goes on about Dupuis, Kunitz, Adams and Scuderi being gone*
Steigy: My F-f-f-friends! :cry:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't know if I've suggested tanking, per se, but if the objective is to win a Stanley Cup, I still think we need a rebuild, which could take anywhere from 2 to 5 years. We could win the division, be eliminated in the conference finals and I'd still think that.

I think it's too late for a rebuild. That needed to happen after the Boston series.

They need to hope their bottom six can be filled out in the coming years internally, their young D to fill out their top 4 and to get lucky in free agency and with health.

They have all the most difficult pieces to acquire locked up or cost controlled.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Porter.

And the new Kunitz, Scuderi, Dupuis, Lovejoy, Adams, Orpik, Zatkoff... Steigy moves on quickly and easily.

It's rust. Check out the next game, he's veeeery excitable when 17 has the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad