Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Panthers 2 (OT): Kunitz Elevates Sid, Leads Pens to Two Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Well, that settles it. Crosby now must score at an unprecedented rate to come back and win the Art Ross and, if he can't, give the C to Pittsburgh's true emotional leader and rock upon which glory is built: Kevin Porter.

Seriously though, are we allowed to openly ridicule and mock the people that perpetuated the "STRIP THE C!" nonsense yet? Seems many of them have conveniently slinked away recently.

Was there a time we weren't allowed to mock the hilariously OT reactions and criticism this board and the internet in general has to Crosby? Oops.

I think we can get an average 2C and a mid 2nd for him without retaining salary now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This thread would be at 16 pages if the Pens lost tonight.

Personally, I needed some time to unwind. :laugh: That's what I love about sports/teams I love. That feeling after a game like tonight is pretty damn good.

I love that all the people came in when Zatkoff scored on himself and they all left as soon as the Pens turned on their magic (still cannot believe it) and gave no love to the guy for doing pretty solid work yesterday and today.

Not perfect... but definitely met standards.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Was there a time we weren't allowed to mock the hilariously OT reactions and criticism this board and the internet in general has to Crosby? Oops.

I think we can get an average 2C and a mid 2nd for him without retaining salary now.

Not without being called a Crosby fanboy.

As for your proposal... silly, naive vabm8... Crosby's brains are literally chewed up gobs of Bubble Tape. We'll get Robert Bortuzzo for him and we'll ****ing like it.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
One small note on Cullen as I decided to watch the final ten minutes again. So he makes a huge mistake on goal #2 but after that he played to make up for that giveaway. That dish pass to Rust was impressive and should have been a goal. Rust just misses his shot.

Accountability is actually showing it's face on this team. Maybe not to the lengths we want to see it (Kunitz), but examples such as Crosby in the faceoff dot, Kessel getting that PP opportunity, Cullen after his giveaway, Letang after last night's game.... there are examples of where the player understands the ramifications of a poor play and goes out there to back up his teammates.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Since today was a franchise record it seems... what are some of the best (or just your favorite) come from behind victories?

- Pens/Hawks Game 1 SCF: I was a youngster at this time so I didn't comprehend everything, but the stadium was so loud. I'll never forget that. We were down 4-1 :laugh:

- Billy G's last milisecond game tying goal against the Bs.

- Talbot's shush game against the Flyers. Down 3-0.

Off the top of my head those 3 immediately come to mind. Tonight's felt less likely than those 3. That's for sure.

Malkin112*

+++Crosby is sick, Letang is top-3 ES defense man in the league, Zatkoff looked great
++Kessel played only 16:25
+Daley
-Bottom 6
--Lovejoy, Dumoulin

Fun stat:
Crosby 1+2, Letang 2+1, Daley 0+2 were only players with point today

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Since today was a franchise record it seems... what are some of the best (or just your favorite) come from behind victories?

- Pens/Hawks Game 1 SCF: I was a youngster at this time so I didn't comprehend everything, but the stadium was so loud. I'll never forget that. We were down 4-1 :laugh:

- Billy G's last milisecond game tying goal against the Bs.

- Talbot's shush game against the Flyers. Down 3-0.

Off the top of my head those 3 immediately come to mind. Tonight's felt less likely than those 3. That's for sure.

Talbot's for me, I was too young to fully appreciate the Hawks one. I just assumed they were going to win every game back then and win cups forever.

I was there for the Guerin goal and it was pretty amazing too. It was funny, the guy sitting beside us goes "this team sucks, this is the worst game I've ever seen!" as the Pens struggle to get it out of their own zone with an empty net. Then Bergeron's stick breaks and Guerin scores and Dupuis wins it early on in OT. The same dude goes "Let's go Pens! I knew they'd win!" :laugh:

At least he didn't leave early, I guess.

Another fun one was against the Caps during Malkin's rookie year. They were down I think 4-1 and came back to win in a shootout. Lots of hits, a mini-brawl and a ton of emotion in that game.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Went to the move with 10 left in the 3rd...saw 2-0, cursed, watched movie.

Get home and I'm all like whaaaaaaaa?

Nice-ness.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
anyone who was as enraged as i was at steigy's 2nd and most egregious "kunitz was there" this year should tweet at the pens about how ridiculous it is. even the most casual fan has to go "wtf" at something like that and maybe a real backlash could do something. maybe bring up hobey baker too

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
When the Pens were down 3-0 to the Flyers.

My recollection of the second cup was standing at my post at work listening to the radio broadcast. I was 25 at the time working the 2nd shift.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Talbot's for me, I was too young to fully appreciate the Hawks one. I just assumed they were going to win every game back then and win cups forever.

I was there for the Guerin goal and it was pretty amazing too. It was funny, the guy sitting beside us goes "this team sucks, this is the worst game I've ever seen!" as the Pens struggle to get it out of their own zone with an empty net. Then Bergeron's stick breaks and Guerin scores and Dupuis wins it early on in OT. The same dude goes "Let's go Pens! I knew they'd win!" :laugh:

At least he didn't leave early, I guess.

Another fun one was against the Caps during Malkin's rookie year. They were down I think 4-1 and came back to win in a shootout. Lots of hits, a mini-brawl and a ton of emotion in that game.

We must be around the same age because I definitely thought the same thing. As a kid, I cried like a little baby in 93 and couldn't understand why the Pens didn't win a Cup every year. :laugh:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I mean, I am a 30 year old lifelong Bills fan. I vividly remember balling uncontrollably as a 5 year old as Norwood missed wide right.

It didn't get any better after that, either. :laugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Recorded the game and just finished watching.

Crosby is really dialed in right now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Strip Sid's "C".

It's kind of funny (and predictable) that the usual suspects who were constantly posting that kind of stuff have suddenly disappeared.

I'm sure they'll be back when either Sid hits a 3 or 4 game drought, or when the Pens lose 2 or 3 in a row. But for now they're in hiding while Sid goes on his 30 points in his last 20 (and 16 goals in 20) run.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
We must be around the same age because I definitely thought the same thing. As a kid, I cried like a little baby in 93 and couldn't understand why the Pens didn't win a Cup every year. :laugh:

Yeah, I had a massive meltdown at the end of that Isles series. I wanted Rich Pilon arrested.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Wasn't a last second comeback, but G4 of the 2009 finals is the comeback that is still with me. The igloo was rockin.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wasn't a last second comeback, but G4 of the 2009 finals is the comeback that is still with me. The igloo was rockin.

Already down and going on the PK... I turned to my brother and said "This could be the series..." and it was. ;) For the good guys.

Okay so maybe not because they murdered us in Game 5, but you get what I'm saying.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
if Sid plays this way for the final 30 games of the season half of this board is going to have to permanently adopt a new whipping boy.

He's eventually going to have a night or two off.

I thought for sure he'd be held off the scoreboard in this game because the Panthers were checking us so tight and Lu looked locked in.

And then Sid still found a way to get three points through all of that. So impressive.

It would help if Geno comes back soon though so Sid can get a few uhh slightly easier points.

Btw great pass by Daley to set Sid up in overtime.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Already down and going on the PK... I turned to my brother and said "This could be the series..." and it was. ;) For the good guys.

Okay so maybe not because they murdered us in Game 5, but you get what I'm saying.

The Penguins' PIM list for game 5 is my favorite thing: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Stanley_Cup_Finals#Game_five

I thought for sure he'd be held off the scoreboard in this game because the Panthers were checking us so tight and Lu looked locked in.

And then Sid still found a way to get three points through all of that. So impressive.

It would help if Geno comes back soon though so Sid can get a few uhh slightly easier points.

Btw great pass by Daley to set Sid up in overtime. Daley made that decision almost immediately and not many guys would have gotten it to Sid that fast.

Hasn't it felt this was since Christmas, though, that NONE of Sid's points have come easy? Every night you could say, "wow, could have had 4!", but the only night he's had 4 is when he did it all himself.

The vintage Sid streaks always came with a smattering of easy assists. None of those around lately.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Penguins' PIM list for game 5 is my favorite thing: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Stanley_Cup_Finals#Game_five

Hasn't it felt this was since Christmas, though, that NONE of Sid's points have come easy? Every night you could say, "wow, could have had 4!", but the only night he's had 4 is when he did it all himself.

The vintage Sid streaks always came with a smattering of easy assists. None of those around lately.

I know it's a hot streak, but Sid hasn't had this hot a hand in terms of goal scoring since his 2010 season was cut short by David Steckel being unable to skate. 16 goals in his past 20 games is the best goal scoring tear I can recall since then.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The most impressive thing is how complete of a game Sid had tonight. It wasn't just offense. He had 6 shots, 4 hits, a block, 1:29 SH time, and a bunch of huuuge faceoff wins. Just dominant.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The faceoff thing was a great part of the game going unnoticed. I think the stat was the Panthers were winning 70%+ faceoffs in the first period? Sid was credited at like 2-8 or something stupid even though he pushed a few forward on purpose. I think the stat ended with him like 16-5 over the next 21.

I can't remember the stats exactly, but it was astonishing. Sid was god-like in so many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad