Post-Game Talk: Pens 0, Caps 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

I do find Bennett overrated here, but I don't really consider him soft, terrible defensively or slow. Or basically anything BB said.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I do find Bennett overrated here, but I don't really consider him soft, terrible defensively or slow. Or basically anything BB said.

BB is a good player with a ton of potential at our weakest position. He's also got enough injuries that his trade value is practically non-existent I would have to imagine. He's sure as hell not anything like he was just described by billybud. He's just plain incorrect about pretty much his entire assessment.

BobCole

May 21, 2014

Yep. I actually would say that defense is the area of his game that is least "NHL ready," but it's not for lack of hockey smarts or lack of will. It's something that he'll probably improve on as he's coached at the NHL level.

Here's my scouting report to counter billybudd's:
Not a great first stride but builds up good speed. Generally responsible with the puck. Can carry the puck through the neutral zone with speed, plays with poise in the offensive zone. Can hold onto the puck and passes superbly well (probably the best aspect of his game). I honestly don't have a good read on his shot strength or release, but his game isn't sniping pucks, it's finding his teammate's sticks when they're open and vice versa.

The mark against the kid is that he can't stay healthy for more than 3 weeks. If he can change that, I have no reason to believe he can't be a top 6 player with 0.5 - 0.75 PPG upside. Nothing to sneeze at for an organization that has developed precisely 0 other such players since 2007. It's too much to think of the kid as the second coming, but there's nothing wrong with hoping for him to be a home grown top 6 option. IMHO, the downside in Bennet is ending up with a 3rd line winger, which would also be fine.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He has similar attributes to Kariya, who was a magician on the PP point. It also has the added benefit of keeping Crosby from getting banged around down low.

I have no idea why they haven't experimented with it beyond one game a couple of years back.

What makes Sid great at ES is what hinders him on the PP anywhere but down low. He tries to make lightning quick decisions. He just doesn't strike me as calm enough with the puck to be a solid point man. Maybe that can be coached.

We're not asking him to be a net presence. We have PH for that. All he has to do chill by the goal line and pounce on rebounds. Let Perron and Malkin be the shooters from the circles. That's the best setup IMO.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
What makes Sid great at ES is what hinders him on the PP anywhere but down low. He tries to make lightning quick decisions. He just doesn't strike me as calm enough with the puck to be a solid point man. Maybe that can be coached.

We're not asking him to be a net presence. We have PH for that. All he has to do chill by the goal line and pounce on rebounds. Let Perron and Malkin be the shooters from the circles. That's the best setup IMO.

His hand eye coordination is ridiculous. He would be best served there, I agree, utilizing his hand speed and incredible reaction time down low.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
His hand eye coordination is ridiculous. He would be best served there, I agree, utilizing his hand speed and incredible reaction time down low.

I'd be perfectly happy if he was 5 feet away from the crease at all times. I have no interest in him taking more damage to the dome. As long as Perron and Malkin are shooting and PH is screening, the puck will come to him eventually. He keeps his stick on the ice, and his talent will take care of the rest.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I'd be perfectly happy if he was 5 feet away from the crease at all times. I have no interest in him taking more damage to the dome. As long as Perron and Malkin are shooting and PH is screening, the puck will come to him eventually. He keeps his stick on the ice, and his talent will take care of the rest.

Agreed. He is so smart, he knows when to get into position and when to slide on out. He sure doesn't need to camp out in front getting abused. But nearby, down low, in (somewhat) stealth mode, yeah, I would like to see that.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
I'll be honest, it does amuse me that my comment set you off so much. I've literally posted that exact same comment dozens of times when posting quotes and you are I believe the first one to get so bent over it.

Really? I said that did I? Care to quote exactly where?

See I thought I said, "let's keep things in perspective about the Caps", which was precluded by me explaining how they came into the game playing poorly over the last four games.

However, why let a little thing like context stop you from riding in on your white horse to defend the Caps honor

Ya, it was quite "snarky" of me to point out the truth and back it up with a quote by Trotz. Quite snarky.

Hopefully Trotz stops being so snarky with the Caps to and pointing out how they haven't been playing sound hockey lately

Whatever dude - you're wading into semantics. You commented originally that people shouldn't read too much into the Caps play, which I didn't disagree with. The point I was making was you based that on the last 4 games going into last night's game, and I broadened that to the last 2 months. You then brought in a Trotz quote following a poor performance Tuesday against Columbus - which wasn't contested.

I'm not here to defend the Caps honor - just tried to provide some perspective. But clearly you are smarter and have greater hockey knowledge than I do. I should have never pointed out your inconsistency or tried to agree with you. Won't happen again. But it does explain how you have 16k posts. You're determined to have the last word.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Agreed. He is so smart, he knows when to get into position and when to slide on out. He sure doesn't need to camp out in front getting abused. But nearby, down low, in (somewhat) stealth mode, yeah, I would like to see that.

They have to keep Crosby away from the right circle at all costs. He's a disaster in that part of the ice on the PP.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sid has just become too predictable on the powerplay. Everyone knows he is going to do that one touch cross ice pass. He either needs to start one-timing the puck more or he needs to start skating around with it a bit.

One thing the Flyers always seem to do well against us and Giroux in particular is Giroux will get the puck on the half wall and then start skating around a bit with it and either take a wrist shot or make an easy pass to someone. It really gets our pk moving.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
They have to keep Crosby away from the right circle at all costs. He's a disaster in that part of the ice on the PP.

That is not even remotely true. Crosby is not "a disaster" playing the right half-wall. He's an effective playmaker from that spot.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
That is not even remotely true. Crosby is not "a disaster" playing the right half-wall. He's an effective playmaker from that spot.

Have you watched him when he's in the right circle lately? All he does when he gets a pass is try to force the puck quickly into the middle of the ice that just gets broken up. There's a lot of things Crosby is really good at. Being in the right circle on the PP isn't one of them.

Michael8771*

BB is a good player with a ton of potential at our weakest position. He's also got enough injuries that his trade value is practically non-existent I would have to imagine. He's sure as hell not anything like he was just described by billybud. He's just plain incorrect about pretty much his entire assessment.
BB has the Potential to be a good player, certainly the skill, but he has to work on his level of consistency. Some have already anointed him as a top six player. He's not there yet, and just because we're anemic as an organization on wing, doesn't necessarily mean Bennett should just be handed that position. I definitely believe however he's elevated in some posters minds because of our situation on wing. On many other teams he'd be regarded as a young, skilled winger with upside, who still has quite a lot to prove.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Crosby was much, much more effective on the right half boards when his shot was still a thing. Much easier to defend against, now. Can't keep the opposing PK honest.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Agreed. It really amazes me how people's biases cloud their judgement. I have no dog in this fight. Any objective hockey fan with two eyes can tell you that Bennett is basically none of the things billybudd describes him as. As for what he actually is, he's an offensively gifted playmaking winger with top 6 upside. Any scout would classify him as such.

Billybudd has had an agenda against Bennett for quite some time. It's pretty bizarre.

He had this idea in his head that Bennett couldn't play with Sid or Geno. Instead of admitting he was wrong, he is now making things up about Bennett's play.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
BB has the Potential to be a good player, certainly the skill, but he has to work on his level of consistency. Some have already anointed him as a top six player. He's not there yet, and just because we're anemic as an organization on wing, doesn't necessarily mean Bennett should just be handed that position. I definitely believe however he's elevated in some posters minds because of our situation on wing. On many other teams he'd be regarded as a young, skilled winger with upside, who still has quite a lot to prove.

Yeah Beau definitely shows flashes of it, but consistency is really the big issue, which in turn is related to his biggest issue, staying healthy. If nothing else, I hope he can stay in the lineup the rest of the way out and build on his play. Tough to improve on any successes when he's injured as often as he has been.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael8771*

Billybudd has had an agenda against Bennett for quite some time. It's pretty bizarre.

He had this idea in his head that Bennett couldn't play with Sid or Geno. Instead of admitting he was wrong, he is now making things up about Bennett's play.
And Conversely You anointed him before he's really done much of anything. So you're every bit as off base. Let him actually do something meaningful on a consistent basis before conclusively asserting he's a top six player.

Michael8771*

Yeah Beau definitely shows flashes of it, but consistency is really the big issue, which in turn is related to his biggest issue, staying healthy. If nothing else, I hope he can stay in the lineup the rest of the way out and build on his play. Tough to improve on any successes when he's injured as often as he has been.
When you have a young player who constantly gets injured it might distort things a bit. I do think that many believe he has more ability than he actually has. Anybody can look good for a three or four game stretch, but once you start getting to 20 OR 25 game mark in succession, their frailties, flaws and inconsistencies become more apparent. A large sample size is the only way we can definitively know if he is indeed a top six player.

He had a really good couple of games, that Montreal one in particular, and this board was so enamored with him they acted as if he's freaking Jari Kurri or some such player. Since then save a game or two he's been largely invisible.

Last edited by a moderator:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
When you have a young player who constantly gets injured, I do think that many believe he has more ability than he actually has. Anybody can look good for a three or four game stretch, but once you start getting to 20 OR 25 games their frailties, flaws and inconsistencies become more apparent. Since BB has been hampered by injury so much I really believe it's skewed many posters opinions. A large sample size is the only way we can definitively know if he is indeed a top six player.

He had a really good couple of games, that Montreal one in particular, and this board was so enamored with him they acted as if he's freaking Jari Kurri or some such player. Since then save a game or two he's been largely invisible.

Having a few bad games happens when you have as little experience at this level as Bennett. Also having recovered from so many injuries probably means that he is still getting into game shape. Despres has had some stinkers this year. Do you doubt his talent?

When I watch the games I see Bennett make plays that only Perron could match amongst the wingers on this team. He doesn't have the best shot but I recall him scoring a few nice goals from the high slot this year because he has a very quick release. He creates space for himself and his teammates. His skating was a huge problem a few years ago but he has really improved which tells me he is working hard to get better.

I'm not saying 100% that he will cement himself in the top 6 for certain, but he has all the tools to do just that. If his luck can turn around health wise I think it will happen.

Michael8771*

Having a few bad games happens when you have as little experience at this level as Bennett. Also having recovered from so many injuries probably means that he is still getting into game shape. Despres has had some stinkers this year. Do you doubt his talent?

When I watch the games I see Bennett make plays that only Perron could match amongst the wingers on this team. He doesn't have the best shot but I recall him scoring a few nice goals from the high slot this year because he has a very quick release. He creates space for himself and his teammates. His skating was a huge problem a few years ago but he has really improved which tells me he is working hard to get better.

I'm not saying 100% that he will cement himself in the top 6 for certain, but he has all the tools to do just that. If his luck can turn around health wise I think it will happen.
And this is a fair statement. I just think some are jumping to conclusions a bit prematurely. It wouldn't surprise me if he panned out, and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't. Again, quite a number of players can look like world beaters in a small sample size. But to be legit you have to show you can bring such performances game in and game out.

Regarding Despres, well he's had a few rough patches to be sure, but I think he's been pretty consistent and been visible in the vast majority of his games.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
The bolded is hilariously ironic.:laugh:

You are right I just assumed you don't have great insight into the Penguins dressing room. So tell me, which Penguins player are you? They don't have a defenseman who wears 18 last time I checked.

That is why I asked, how do you know where I get information from to accuse me of speculating? Like I said buddy, you definitely know more than I do. You win. You don't have to be connected in that locker room to know that Sid has last say on where he plays and who he plays with... read the papers and listen to reporters.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
That is why I asked, how do you know where I get information from to accuse me of speculating? Like I said buddy, you definitely know more than I do. You win. You don't have to be connected in that locker room to know that Sid has last say on where he plays and who he plays with... read the papers and listen to reporters.

Because if there's anything that's reliable, it's the Pittsburgh media :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

This is the HF cycle of life-- people over rate a player (because it's the internet and people are people), and then in reaction other people make it their life goal to tear said player down because without that karmic balance, we might actually veer into actual discussions.

Everyone gets their panties in a knot, hilarity ensues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad