Confirmed with Link: Penguins will not renew contracts of Gonchar, Martin, Recchi

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know why you change the defensive coaches... Really? They can't make JJ better, or make the forwards not turn the puck over.

Recchi needed to go. Other changes need to be done.

Not good enough, and overdone at the wrong place.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There are fine details to playing D at the NHL level that Martin, who never played the position, and Gonchar, who got by mostly on pure talent alone, wouldn’t know much about.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't know why you change the defensive coaches... Really? They can't make JJ better, or make the forwards not turn the puck over.

It's not about the assistants, per se. JR sort of just shot some hostages to send Sullivan a message. His days are probably numbered. I can't remember a coach who had his assistants fired and then finished out the next season.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

The defensive coaches are the ones who decides who goes over the boards for each shift, though. So they're the ones who decided that JJ / Schultz should be on the ice at all. Even when they clearly deserved to be benched.

So, yeah, I can definitely see why they're changing all the assistant coaches.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

The defensive coaches are the ones who decides who goes over the boards for each shift, though. So they're the ones who decided that JJ / Schultz should be on the ice at all. Even when they clearly deserved to be benched.

So, yeah, I can definitely see why they're changing all the assistant coaches.

Leaving aside what Freetop correctly said, they're also just generally not part of the solution to sudden lapses of motivation or maybe stopping Sully/players doing stupid things (and probably had a hand in some).

Also got to consider Martin's 67, and Gonchar still lives in Texas. Might be both of them are a little relieved. They certainly not going to be constant around the team energy voices.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm actually curious how Errey would do as an assistant. He's one of the most knowledgeable color guys in the league, and has good energy and charisma. Think the players would respond well to him.

I'm not. Whether or not he'd actually be a good assistant, my hope is that they come without ties (or without recent ties) to the organization.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This type of thing usually happens about 30 games before the plug gets pulled on a head coach. Not sure who's coaching Wheeling or Wilkes, but I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one day and hear that an overqualified guy has been hired for one of those gigs.

I wouldn't say he was overqualified, but it happened last summer in WBS.

Reactions: billybudd

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Sullivan is on his last leg. They just canned everyone but him. The next step is his ass/maybe JR's as well.

It's make or break it time for this group though I think some will argue it should be now.

PhilThrillPill

Jun 4, 2016
Toronto
1. Dump/trade/let walk JJ, Schultz, Sheary, Marleau, Bjugstad
2. Resign Simon, McCann, Jarry
3. Acquire Third line warrior (a la Bones) and two decent bottom pairing defenseman (one of which should be a warrior a la Cole).

Guentzel-Sid-Simon
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-warrior-Horny
ZAR-BLUEGER-Tanev

Dumo-Tanger
Petts-Marino
Decent D5 and Decent D6 (one is a warrior)

Jarry
Desmith

I know we all want to see heads flying. Three did today. I don’t see how trading Letang, Geno, Dumo or Rust makes us any better now. For me McCann seemed better at wing. He’s not the #3C warrior we need. Neither is bye bye Bjugstad.

The way I see it if you think the window has closed you blow up the ship and go full tank mode. I don’t understand what trading away a good player gives you.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
3. Acquire Third line warrior (a la Bones) and two decent bottom pairing defenseman (one of which should be a warrior a la Cole).

Guentzel-Sid-Simon
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-warrior-Horny
ZAR-BLUEGER-Tanev

Dumo-Tanger
Petts-Marino

Jarry
Desmith

I know we all want to see heads flying. Three did today. I don’t see how trading Letang, Geno, Dumo or Rust makes us any better now. For me McCann seemed better at wing. He’s not the #3C warrior we need. Neither is bye bye Bjugstad.

The way I see it if you think the window has closed you blow up the ship and go full tank mode. I don’t understand what trading away a good player gives you.

Not sure you used the word "warrior" enough.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sullivan is on his last leg. They just canned everyone but him. The next step is his ass/maybe JR's as well.

It's make or break it time for this group though I think some will argue it should be now.

JR isn't going. Only way he goes is when he decides the party is over, at which point he opts to resign or to accept a 'promotion' rather than deal with a rebuild.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
His name is Mike Vellucci. He's there already.

I don't know if I'd call this man overqualified, per se, but being sold as a backup plan for Sullivan could have been why a coach would leave the Checkers for another minor league job the summer after winning a championship, yes.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Iirc I read that was the word when Rutherford hired Sullivan for WBS back in the day, he was deliberately looking for someone with NHL experience. That's why I bring it up. But maybe he'd be happy with Vellucci.

That said - is a guy who's not NHL HC ready really going to give it Sully when he's wrong?

IIRC, wasn't Vellucci pegged as one of the top coaches in the AHL? I thought that him not having NHL experience wasn't necessarily because there wasn't any offers for him, but that he prefers coaching in the AHL, but I could be easily misremembering that.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Agree with those saying this is the way of putting Sully's feet to the fire without actually booting him to the curb. I think it's a step in the right direction but I doubt it will really fix anything. We need something to give the players direction and identity.

Schultz won't get re-signed, JR already shat on him in his end of season thing, that's what he does. Hopefully he can dropkick JJ too and find some D that actually help.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agree with those saying this is the way of putting Sully's feet to the fire without actually booting him to the curb. I think it's a step in the right direction but I doubt it will really fix anything. We need something to give the players direction and identity.

Schultz won't get re-signed, JR already shat on him in his end of season thing, that's what he does. Hopefully he can dropkick JJ too and find some D that actually help.
Justin Schultz deserved more than being shat on, he was putrid and JJ was even worse. Yet somehow, they were doled out game after game, shift after shift.

I think Sullivan is on a very short leash, but it’s tough to know when that leash gets pulled and they put that wanker to sleep. During the season, they go could just float into the 4th-5th spot and then get bounced in the first round and then you’d have wasted a full season with that horse shit again.

It just doesn’t sit well with me. It’s clear he needs an assistant that is basically just dedicated to translating his message in a more constructive way, to the players, which is what Tocchet did, but then you also need an assistant coach that will run the powerplay for him, then a defensive coach that will know and push Sullivan to play the right guys, then another bloke that will help with the development.

It’s going to be f***ing hilarious. Instead of firing his stupid ass, they’re going to hire a bunch of guys that they will either fire or replace after next season again.

What. A. Mess.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
IIRC, wasn't Vellucci pegged as one of the top coaches in the AHL? I thought that him not having NHL experience wasn't necessarily because there wasn't any offers for him, but that he prefers coaching in the AHL, but I could be easily misremembering that.

I can't remember enough of the deets tbh. All I really remember is he was a long term OHL guy who knew Rutherford, had been very successful with the Charlotte Checkers, and that he wasn't going back to Front Office roles (which he'd done) because he wanted to be an NHL head coach.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Guentzel-Sid-Simon
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-warrior-Horny
ZAR-BLUEGER-Tanev

Dumo-Tanger
Petts-Marino

Jarry
Desmith

Re-signing Simon = more of the same. It's been proven since 2018 jabronis like him don't work on Crosby's line, even if that's his preference.

Reactions: OswaldBates

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Rutherford may just have to pull the Michel Ouellett move and just not qualify Simon to keep Sullivan from putting him in the top 6.
this is the anatomy of the pens problems. you cant have a gm and coach working at cross purposes about player utilization. maybe you could when sid and geno were in their primes, but you need to maximize every dollar of payroll now and misusing players doesnt do that.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If the Habs get swept or lose in 5, wouldn’t it make Sullivan look even worse if he was 1-7 in the playoffs over the last two years, and the teams that beat him went 0-8 or 1-8 after beating the Pens?

Unfortunately, it won’t make a difference at this point, I guess.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

Guentzel-Sid-Simon
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-warrior-Horny
ZAR-BLUEGER-Tanev

Dumo-Tanger
Petts-Marino

Jarry
Desmith

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIDk6aOumOsCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad