Confirmed with Link: Penguins will not renew contracts of Gonchar, Martin, Recchi

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’d like to see Kevin Dineen as an assistant. Extremely experienced both as player and coach, and Sully should be familiar with him from their time spent in the Chicago organization.

Not sure about who to run D- maybe Jay Leach who was Sullivan’s assistant in WB/S and has been head coach of Portland for a few years.

Reactions: ownal

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
OK then.

I would have been happy with just Recchi, but I guess this works.

I thought Martin's defensive mind was a good voice in the room, and I was excited to see Gonch grow into a larger role on the team, but if we are looking to shake up the culture, this is one way to do it.

I always found it odd that Sullivan was saddled with the holdover assistants from Johnston's tenure, and even once those folks started to leave the hires (Recchi, Gonchar) were Penguins guys more than they were Sully's guys. This is a clear message to Sully too. If you pick the new assistants and it doesn't fix the problem, the problem is you and you're gone.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Excellent start for the Pens. The likes of Hornqvist and Schultz need to be next. I know Sully deserves the shit he gets but he is not the entire problem. Allow Tampa to be a contemporary and less successful model to show that locker rooms stagnate and become complacent no matter how much they like their coach and therefore MUST have turnover.

Reactions: 71Malkin71 and KIRK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I’d like to see Kevin Dineen as an assistant. Extremely experienced both as player and coach, and Sully should be familiar with him from their time spent in the Chicago organization.

Not sure about who to run D- maybe Jay Leach who was Sullivan’s assistant in WB/S and has been head coach of Portland for a few years.

Shit, might as well get Gord too. :laugh:

But Kevin Dineen wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Recchi being gone is a definite step in the right direction. Now, do what you can to jettison JJ into the sun(or to another team) ASAP. And keep 15th OA.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Wasn't he up for some NHL jobs before he took the WB/S position? If he's an assistant in Pittsburgh though, we'd need to find someone to take over in Scranton.

DruliaDonatelli.jpg

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Excellent start for the Pens. The likes of Hornqvist and Schultz need to be next. I know Sully deserves the shit he gets but he is not the entire problem. Allow Tampa to be a contemporary and less successful model to show that locker rooms stagnate and become complacent no matter how much they like their coach and therefore MUST have turnover.

Schultz is already gone as he's a UFA and GMJR seemingly has no interest to re-sign him.

Speaking of complacency, would Tampa have interest in Rust if they can move Tyler Johnson?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Maybe another question is: will there even be an AHL season?
So maybe that would be the original plan for him to be in WBS, but with no or a limited AHL season he might be better served as an Asst Coach

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think it means anything, unless we're going back to the weird "All Russians are Brothers" trope that this board loves to bandy about like a case of herpes.

Gonchar was a part time coach. Started part time, went to full time, then went back to part time because he didn't want to be away from his family so much (they're in Dallas, I believe).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dude needs to suck it up because JR already said he and Letang were staying.

Actually, Crosby said Malkin was staying last summer. What JR says on the subject is kind of irrelevant.

BTW, Gonchar and Malkin have been friends since Malkin lived with Gonchar as a rookie, but Malkin knows it's a business that involves changes.

EDIT: As to the changes, I'm with the group saying it had to be done and it's a pretty clear message to Sullivan . . . you pick your guys, no excuses if it flops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad