Confirmed with Link: Penguins will not renew contracts of Gonchar, Martin, Recchi

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
BBQ Bruce would be my top pick to run the forwards and PP. He's a PowerPlay guru. His personality and connection to the players is sorely missed here and has been gone since Tocchet left. He's fiesty. He's animated. I'm sure he'd love Pittsburgh's food and Fatheads headwiches. He has enough experience and respect that Sullivan should know he should listen to Bruce or he's looking at his replacement. Not sure if he wants to be an assistant but he might if he's a high paid one and thinks he has a shot to be our usual mid-season savior to take us back to a cup win. I'd enjoy watching him eat BBQ wings out of the cup if it was ours.

About the defense and PK... I wouldn't be surprised if they tap Velucci for that.

The main thing is we need to go from having assistant coaches that are more introverted personalities to having some fire back on the staff. It would be nice to have some guys on the bench that are sitting there waiting for Sullivan to f*** up just like Hawks flying a dead body. Hopefully if we get the right staff in place we won't have to get to that point.

I only want the Pens to hire Boudreau if he does all press conferences with BBQ sauce on his face.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
i dunno about BBQ Boudreau. He's always been a good regular season, terrible post season coach. Coaches I'd like to see. #1 Gallant, #2 Laviolette. after that it drops off quite a bit.
But would either of those guys even consider an assistant gig? I think our best plan is to have the next HC waiting in the wings and if Sullivan falters he's here.
Sullivan is a really good coach, but all Head Coaches in the NHL have short shelf lives, and our core especially tunes out Coaches after a few years without fail...

Can you provide evidence this is the case? I'm getting tired of people making this statement honestly. I mean what is the supposition here? Therrien, Bylsma, and Johnston all should have stayed longer??

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Can you provide evidence this is the case? I'm getting tired of people making this statement honestly. I mean what is the supposition here? Therrien, Bylsma, and Johnston all should have stayed longer??

Chill, man. This isn't a f***ing peer reviewed science paper...it is an online forum. Why the f*** does everything need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt?

Just LOOK at the attitudes and efforts given during the last 10-20 games of ANY of the Pens coaches....it becomes clear that they give up when they want them gone.

Dey soff isn't just funny because of the accent. It is funny because they REALLY were playing like total doughboys and royally f***ing over Therrien, and magically looked like a damn powerhouse like the day after he was fired. They pretty much did the same to Bylsma and Johnston. Any other coaches from 2005 on were pretty much never going to last very long.

I think the only point is, when they go on a 15 game losing streak, they want a new head-man. I dont see how a coach could be successful with the same team for a decade, either, though. 5 years and you gotta start questioning it. Like any TV series, after season four, it becomes a crap shoot on if you gotta cancel it or not.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I get your take here... but there is more evidence that they DO tune coaches out than there is evidence that they don't.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

For me it's less the idea they "tune coaches out all the time" and more the fact people make it sound like it's only the Pens who go through multiple coaches.

Take any player's 15 year careers and see how many coaches they've had over that span. Chances are there will have been multiple coaching changes during that time, especially if the team underachieves/grows stale due to questionable management/lineup decisions.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would also add that I think it's a bit unfair to include Olczyk and Johnston to the list of coaches the players "tuned out". In those two cases, I think it's clear it was a case of bad/poor hires who had no place being NHL coaches, as witnessed by the fact neither ever coached in the NHL again after that.

Among coaches who actually proved to either be NHL coaches prior to or after their firing (ie. they got jobs elsewhere), I'd say the true list of those the core has "tuned out" include Therrien, Bylsma and now potentially Sullivan. The other two were a case of two guys in over their heads that probably shouldn't have even been hired in the first place.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You'd essentially need to make his assistants idiot proof for Sullivan, which begs the question, is the trouble really worth it in that case?

Could Bob Boughner be his Tocchet?
Who's the right candidate to be the Defense coach?
Will the team add a 3rd assistant?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
For me it's less the idea they "tune coaches out all the time" and more the fact people make it sound like it's only the Pens who go through multiple coaches.

Take any player's 15 year careers and see how many coaches they've had over that span. Chances are there will have been multiple coaching changes during that time, especially if the team underachieves/grows stale due to questionable management/lineup decisions.

Exactly. Coach killers, core tuning out coaches etc implies that these guys are driving off coaches and doing so at a higher rate than other teams. Where is the evidence? Where's the comparison to other teams? And finally, for the love of God, all three coaches that have been fired were past their expiration date and the whole town saw it. The organization admitted it for Bylsma and everybody knows Johnston was a huge mistake. Were they fired because the infamous core tuned them out or because all three flat out sucked at that point in time? Plus, don't forget, Malkin played some of his best hockey under Therrien and Johnston in their final days, probably extending their time here...the actions of a real coach killer. I'm just tired of the statement not backed up with anything.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I just do not understand not re-sign Gonchar. That makes no sense to me whatsoever, unless his work with the young defensemen has been drastically overblown.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I get your take here... but there is more evidence that they DO tune coaches out than there is evidence that they don't.

I think the core knows what a contending team looks and feels like. The last two years, we've not had that.

The body language on the ice as the series' go on has the look of them waiting for the inevitable.

I get ownership not being happy with the team not battling out to win as many games as possible. Playoff revenue is pretty important.

But in the grand scheme of things. Our core players stepped up when they had legit contending teams. 3/4 in terms of Finals appearances. Some of the best hockey seen in this Era.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Chill, man. This isn't a f***ing peer reviewed science paper...it is an online forum. Why the f*** does everything need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt?

Just LOOK at the attitudes and efforts given during the last 10-20 games of ANY of the Pens coaches....it becomes clear that they give up when they want them gone.

Dey soff isn't just funny because of the accent. It is funny because they REALLY were playing like total doughboys and royally f***ing over Therrien, and magically looked like a damn powerhouse like the day after he was fired. They pretty much did the same to Bylsma and Johnston. Any other coaches from 2005 on were pretty much never going to last very long.

I think the only point is, when they go on a 15 game losing streak, they want a new head-man. I dont see how a coach could be successful with the same team for a decade, either, though. 5 years and you gotta start questioning it. Like any TV series, after season four, it becomes a crap shoot on if you gotta cancel it or not.

That's a long post to say you don't have anything to back up your assertion. Nobody's asking for a peer reviewed paper, just something to back up the claim. 'Dey soff' wasn't said in the year Therrien was fired. What a weird comparison.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
I just do not understand not re-sign Gonchar. That makes no sense to me whatsoever, unless his work with the young defensemen has been drastically overblown.
Maybe him not wanting to be away from his family & didn't want to move them to Pgh. Sealed his fate

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
That's a long post to say you don't have anything to back up your assertion. Nobody's asking for a peer reviewed paper, just something to back up the claim. 'Dey soff' wasn't said in the year Therrien was fired. What a weird comparison.
so you think players don't tune out coaches ?? & you want him to prove it. How bout you prove they don't

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the core knows what a contending team looks and feels like. The last two years, we've not had that.

The body language on the ice as the series' go on has the look of them waiting for the inevitable.

I get ownership not being happy with the team not battling out to win as many games as possible. Playoff revenue is pretty important.

But in the grand scheme of things. Our core players stepped up when they had legit contending teams. 3/4 in terms of Finals appearances. Some of the best hockey seen in this Era.

The entire word out of the media - backed up by player actions - was that Sid and Geno thought they had a fantastic chance this summer. That's why they were back on the ice early. So I don't think that's what happened.

Reactions: Turin

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The entire word out of the media - backed up by player actions - was that Sid and Geno thought they had a fantastic chance this summer. That's why they were back on the ice early. So I don't think that's what happened.

Again. The body language on the ice as the last two series' went on is what i'm talking about. We curb stomped MTL for much of game 1.

I'm not doubting they believed they could make a run before the series started.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Again. The body language on the ice as the last two series' went on is what i'm talking about. We curb stomped MTL for much of game 1.

I'm not doubting they believed they could make a run before the series started.

If they lose their confidence in what's going on around them that quick, if they can't keep an even keel on what's going on, then that's a worse look on them than tuning out the message.

And given what we've heard, also tuning out the message as keep an even keel was the message. And maybe that was the wrong damn message but still. Although, hell, if they think that's the wrong message, why aren't they giving the room hell?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Naw, mate. I'm good.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Word is the guys didn't respect Recchi as far as being an X and O's guy, and it started with Sid and kind of trickled down the lineup.

It's not hard for me to believe as Sid and Recchi have never really had the greatest relationship.

Reactions: KIRK and EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Word is the guys didn't respect Recchi as far as being an X and O's guy, and it started with Sid and kind of trickled down the lineup.

It's not hard for me to believe as Sid and Recchi have never really had the greatest relationship.

Not that I disbelieve you, but where did you get that?

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
This - The Phone Call that Led to the Penguins Firings | PHN+ ?

I remember people speculating when he got the job. More I think about this, more it feels like just a big accretion of little mistakes.
OH Yeah Dan Kingerski, the goof who thought Brian Boyle being traded to Nashville was great & when I pointed out the Centers they already have on twitter he blocked me. Don't really think he has any sources

Reactions: Darkwing Psyduck

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

It could be that the club wanted him in Pittsburgh full-time and he, because he has children and a family in Dallas, did not want to be there nearly as much and it wasn't worth it to renew his contract.

Reactions: OswaldBates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad