Confirmed with Link: Penguins will not renew contracts of Gonchar, Martin, Recchi

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Why don't you just let Sid play and run the PP/offense?

Matter of fact, why not just fire Sully and let Sid do:

giphy.gif

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Vellucci won't be an assistant coach for Sullivan because that's a downgrade from his current position. A GM/HC of an AHL team has more power than an assistant coach. Vellucci might be forced to take the position, but it's not one that he wants probably.

I think Laviolette as an assistant would be a really good addition.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I really think some of the posters here must be under 15 years old. Lol Dan Kingerski is running a start up and yeah it's a little hokey but I've always found his insights on Xs and Os and the details of the Pens to be solid. He's also one of the only reporters in Pittsburgh who still has a pair apparently, when it comes to questioning the coach. Almost all the rest are just lemmings who don't want to make waves.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Chill, man. This isn't a f***ing peer reviewed science paper...it is an online forum. Why the f*** does everything need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt?

Just LOOK at the attitudes and efforts given during the last 10-20 games of ANY of the Pens coaches....it becomes clear that they give up when they want them gone.

Dey soff isn't just funny because of the accent. It is funny because they REALLY were playing like total doughboys and royally f***ing over Therrien, and magically looked like a damn powerhouse like the day after he was fired. They pretty much did the same to Bylsma and Johnston. Any other coaches from 2005 on were pretty much never going to last very long.

I think the only point is, when they go on a 15 game losing streak, they want a new head-man. I dont see how a coach could be successful with the same team for a decade, either, though. 5 years and you gotta start questioning it. Like any TV series, after season four, it becomes a crap shoot on if you gotta cancel it or not.

I don't disagree with the general point of this post, but I can't help but point out that Therrien's SOFF speech came after game 11 of his coaching tenure. He gave it to shake them up because they were still playing like they had under Olczyk. He coached the Pens for another 261 games after that!

Reactions: EightyOne

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
I really think some of the posters here must be under 15 years old. Lol Dan Kingerski is running a start up and yeah it's a little hokey but I've always found his insights on Xs and Os and the details of the Pens to be solid. He's also one of the only reporters in Pittsburgh who still has a pair apparently, when it comes to questioning the coach. Almost all the rest are just lemmings who don't want to make waves.
UMMM 2 seasons ago he RAVED about the Preds trade for Brian Boyle & how he would be a Good 3rd Line C & 2nd PP unit net front presence. when I let him know who the Preds had at C & had just signed Bonino & Traded for Kyle Turris he blocked me on Twitter, He is Not that knowledgeable, Doesn't have real Pgh Sources & is thinskinned as you can get

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
already in the thread Vellucci, His assistant Forrest, Matt Cullen, Guy Boucher & Lavs, That dolt Yohe just reads here

If Boucher's sole role is to be the PP guy, I'd be for that. He was one of the first coaches who started using that "bumper" position on his PP unit way back even in his junior days. It would be a breath of fresh air if the Pens actually started using that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm not sure Laviolette and Sully could operate on the same staff.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Vellucci won't be an assistant coach for Sullivan because that's a downgrade from his current position. A GM/HC of an AHL team has more power than an assistant coach. Vellucci might be forced to take the position, but it's not one that he wants probably.

Lavy and Boudreau would be interesting. All star coaching staff.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
already in the thread Vellucci, His assistant Forrest, Matt Cullen, Guy Boucher & Lavs, That dolt Yohe just reads here

Over the years I've seen a lot of discussion here show up in their writings. Makes me wonder how much of their paychecks should be dolled out here.

Agreed but it also depends on what his career path is. If he wants to coach in the NHL, this is perhaps one of the better opportunities he may have. If he has hopes of GM'ing, he's better suited where he's at. But if I'm not mistaken, he's only the GM there to fill the hole. I don't always hate the idea of the WBS coach taking over if he's done well. That seems to work out for us more often than not, lol. Everything I read on the guy is positive as well so that's good.

I'm not sure Laviolette and Sully could operate on the same staff.

I think they could to a point. When the calls don't come in for a new gig, I think you swallow your pride and get back in the game even as a AC. That said, I think the point of another Type A personality is to challenge Sullivan. Lavy could certainly do that on a large scale.

Lavy and Boudreau would be interesting. All star coaching staff.

Boudreau does have a long line of RS success in his history but so little playoff success...which at this point is all that matters.

I want a guy who is going to come in to help push a more systematic style of play. I think if we want success, the free wheeling days need to be behind us.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00