GDT: Penguins vs Blue Jackets, 11/14/23 @ 7:00

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
They need to look at what guys are doing in the off-season.

Gaudreau clearly isn't in game shape.
Boqvist and Johnson didn't add the strength they were supposed to add.
Etc. Etc.

It can't be a country club where you do whatever you want between May and September. When it's not the season, you need to be focusing on getting ready for next season.
Lol 😂

Babcock literally got fired for this….

Yeah and how many times does it have to be told that Torts making these guys run miles during training camp has nothing to do with hockey….

Right, it’s not the “hockey” your trying to learn about or alter/change regarding the players, it’s SO MUCH more.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
2022-23 Blue Jackets after 16 games: 6-9-1, 13 points

2023-24 Blue Jackets after 16 games: 4-8-4, 12 points

Is the problem this year Larsen or the injuries??

That’s what it apparently was last year.

Or was the problem last year the injury to Werenski and now his play is the problem this year??

I can’t keep up.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I think everyone should have known this year will be a learning process, but it's unfortunate that playoff hopes are dying this early due to OT losses and star players not producing up to their standards.

Reactions: Cheddarcheese

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think everyone should have known this year will be a learning process, but it's unfortunate that playoff hopes are dying this early due to OT losses and star players not producing up to their standards.

OTLs and poor play / injury from Werenski, Gaudreau, and Laine are a good summation of where the shortfall in expectations is. Other than that they seem like an 80 pt team, right where most had them.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Cleveland Browns of the NHL.

nebraska cornhuskers of the NHL.

I knew this year would be a learning process.. 100 percent. but I expected us to have a better record a month into it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I didn't go off on you I am merely pointing out that your stats frequently don't reflect how players are actually playing.

Quite worthless stats posting to be honest.
This is the all time great post. If expected goals and expected saves meant anything I'd expect the standings would be different.

• Haha
Reactions: I3LI3

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They are afraid of winning.
Just have zero trust they can win a game

This roster is clearly better than their record shows.

They better get it together quick so they’ll be in the ”race” later in the season and show progress

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
OTLs and poor play / injury from Werenski, Gaudreau, and Laine are a good summation of where the shortfall in expectations is. Other than that they seem like an 80 pt team, right where most had them.
I expected them to suck but we are about to get passed by the Chicago Blackhawks, which is obviously not good…

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I expected them to suck but we are about to get passed by the Chicago Blackhawks, which is obviously not good…

The last two games have me more hopeful.

Two red hot teams came in and nearly lost to the Jackets. Now imagine if they get even one of Laine or Gaudreau to start heating up, or Werenski to stop sucking.

Imagine if we let our defensemen make breakout passes to our speedy forwards

Yeah it's incredible how much more we could be scoring.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The last two games have me more hopeful.

Two red hot teams came in and nearly lost to the Jackets. Now imagine if they get even one of Laine or Gaudreau to start heating up, or Werenski to stop sucking.

Yeah it's incredible how much more we could be scoring.
We did give up 80 shots against in those games however. I understand part of Vincents system is conceding more low quality shots against but the team gives up a fair amount of high danger chances aswell forcing Elvis to make more big saves than some want to admit

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We did give up 80 shots against in those games however. I understand part of Vincents system is conceding more low quality shots against but the team gives up a fair amount of high danger chances aswell forcing Elvis to make more big saves than some want to admit

True - we're just straight up bad defensively at 5v5.

I think it's a significant point that we're not scoring at the expense of our defense. We're scoring and getting scored on a lot despite our collapsing zone defense.

I could be wrong but I don't think we're that bad at odd man rushes against, I think it's just a collapsing zone defense that is failing. We still have our horses reined in.

I see them at 16th? 2.06 5v5 GF /Gm.

Must be minutes. I'm looking at GF and at GF per minute over at NST. You're looking at GF per game. So we must have less 5v5 time than average and more special teams time.

Reactions: CBJx614

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
He got fired for looking at guys' phones. I'm not saying you look at their phones.

I'm saying during exit interviews you make it clear what they need to be doing and if they don't do that then they don't play next season.
Exit interviews include a development/training plan. I don’t have any ide of the level of follow up that is permitted and/or performed all summer long. I do know there was no head coach in charge for months after season ended - and even then screwed up by Babcock’s misdeeds w/ phones. You would hope players at NHL level wouldn’t need constant follow up during summer, but some do (on every team).

With guaranteed contracts and waiver issues, not sure how you would “punish” those who don’t follow the plan with no playing time, except for players who don’t have to pass waivers or players you don’t care about losing to other teams via waiver wire. Seems to me the biggest problems are underforming veterans with high salaries. KJ/ Boqvist didn’t add mass, but that may or may not have been the result of their summer habits - some guys just don’t get significantly bigger/stronger regardless of training — or KJ is young and physically needs more time to grow, and the AHL is right place for that.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
True - we're just straight up bad defensively at 5v5.

I think it's a significant point that we're not scoring at the expense of our defense. We're scoring and getting scored on a lot despite our collapsing zone defense.

I could be wrong but I don't think we're that bad at odd man rushes against, I think it's just a collapsing zone defense that is failing. We still have our horses reined in.

Must be minutes. I'm looking at GF and at GF per minute over at NST. You're looking at GF per game. So we must have less 5v5 time than average and more special teams time.
They give up cross seam passes like crazy if they cant get set up. The coaches have the players so hyper focused on a system that common sense fails to prevail in many situations. Its not a terrible system if guys are tired and can sink back into a zone but even fresh they give the opponents so much free zone time. Sometimes all it takes is 1 breakdown and it becomes pure chaos and with the amount of time we are in our own end the odds of that happening are too high. Our PK almost puts on more pressure

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Crosby hat trick and hats litter the ice. Nice loud “Let’s Go Pens” chant too.
A pair of Pens fans sitting next to me (I am STH) said sarcastically must suck for you handing out cash to watch Pittsburgh not only own your franchise but own your building as he was chanting Let's Go Pens with 1 minute to go in the game.

Really pissed me off especially when this drunken idiot said to my 14 year old nephew as we are walking out - Hey kid I will give my Pens jersey (Sidney Crosby) if you take that Gudreau jersey off and throw it in the trash. My nephew asked why are these Pens fans so mean and rude.

I have run into idiot Pens fans before and some very nice but most I run into NW are idiots. I will never go to another Pens game at NWA.

I didn't reply last night because I was pissed, you can display your fandom but leave kids out of it

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
A pair of Pens fans sitting next to me (I am STH) said sarcastically must suck for you handing out cash to watch Pittsburgh not only own your franchise but own your building as he was chanting Let's Go Pens with 1 minute to go in the game.

Really pissed me off especially when this drunken idiot said to my 14 year old nephew as we are walking out - Hey kid I will give my Pens jersey (Sidney Crosby) if you take that Gudreau jersey off and throw it in the trash. My nephew asked why are these Pens fans so mean and rude.

I have run into idiot Pens fans before and some very nice but most I run into NW are idiots. I will never go to another Pens game at NWA.
The ones local here in central Ohio are worse. That's probably why the percentage of idiots jumps at NWA.

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad