GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Marino can play LD, Johnson is 1000000000000000000% getting the boot.

Oh shit I didn't even notice that.

source.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

But then theres also this. So not sure whos playing on LD

That's actually an interesting thought, what if they trade Gudbranson instead of Johnson and make Johnson-Marino the bottom pair? That fits the idea of what JR said about "making a spot for Marino".

Would people rather have a Riikola-Gudbranson bottom pair or a Johnson-Marino bottom pair? I'm honestly not sure what response I'll get to that.

Edit: to add:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's actually an interesting thought, what if they trade Gudbranson instead of Johnson and make Johnson-Marino the bottom pair? That fits the idea of what JR said about "making a spot for Marino".

Would people rather have a Riikola-Gudbranson bottom pair or a Johnson-Marino bottom pair? I'm honestly not sure what response I'll get to that.

The former, by far.

I have my doubts about Gudbranson being a quality player over the course of a full season, but at least he looked good in camp. JJ's a perpetual train wreck. Save Marino for call-ups.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The former, by far.

I have my doubts about Gudbranson being a quality player over the course of a full season, but at least he looked good in camp. JJ's a perpetual train wreck. Save Marino for call-ups.

Are you sure about that? It's entirely possible that Marino is the best of those 4 players, plus you'd likely not have to add as much (if anything) to move Gudbranson over JJ.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

They can’t do that to Marino. If you’re thinking about it, it’s either gamble on Riikola-Marino or trade for another LD. I kind of wonder if something like that would be tried. Trade Gudbranson for something, waive JJ or pay someone to take him and add an LD.

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
X-Marino
Riikola/Ruhwedel

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Are you sure about that? It's entirely possible that Marino is the best of those 4 players, plus you'd likely not have to add as much (if anything) to move Gudbranson over JJ.
So its essentially the best and worst of the four, or the two guys in the middle. The thing is, we probably know who the worst is and it's not close, Marino being the best isn't a given. Riikola looked good in spurts in his first year in North America, he could end up being just as good if not better than Marino this year, if not long term.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'm pretty sure about that. Marino's looked stellar so far but I don't think anyone's capable of playing with JJ regularly and not being dragged into the muck, let alone a rookie. We've seen how legit superstars are pulled into the black hole.

I'd rather not saddle him him with that sort of cruel and unusual punishment when he's trying to get his bearings...adjusting to the NHL straight out of college would be hard enough without that anchor around his neck.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They can’t do that to Marino. If you’re thinking about it, it’s either gamble on Riikola-Marino or trade for another LD. I kind of wonder if something like that would be tried. Trade Gudbranson for something, waive JJ or pay someone to take him and add an LD.

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
X-Marino
Riikola/Ruhwedel

That's the route I want them to go, trade both Gudbranson and Johnson and replace Gudbranson with a more cost appropriate bottom pair LD. I feel like that would be a kinda hard sell though.

The problem is that while the Penguins are willing to play Riikola over JJ right now, is that because they think Riikola is better or do they think Riikola is a better fit with Gudbranson? If they'd have the same short leash with JJ if they traded Gudbranson, I think that's an argument for moving Guds and putting Marino in his spot. I just have serious doubts that they'd do that. "Johnson-Marino to start, but it will go to Riikola-Marino if Johnson sucks" is different than just Johnson-Marino.

Although who knows, maybe Marino can play LD and we'll eventually see Marino-Gudbranson.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That's the route I want them to go, trade both Gudbranson and Johnson and replace Gudbranson with a more cost appropriate bottom pair LD. I feel like that would be a kinda hard sell though.

The problem is that while the Penguins are willing to play Riikola over JJ right now, is that because they think Riikola is better or do they think Riikola is a better fit with Gudbranson? If they'd have the same short leash with JJ if they traded Gudbranson, I think that's an argument for moving Guds and putting Marino in his spot. I just have serious doubts that they'd do that. "Johnson-Marino to start, but it will go to Riikola-Marino if Johnson sucks" is different than just Johnson-Marino.

Although who knows, maybe Marino can play LD and we'll eventually see Marino-Gudbranson.

It would be an interesting scenario depending on the LD they could get.

I think the unfortunate thing for everyone but JJ is that his contract and vet status will trump everything if given half a chance. He needs to be removed because as soon as anyone falters he’ll get back in and get a stupidly long leash.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Still think Marino is Marino above all else, but I see some Niskanen maybe? I said Jensen the other day but maybe that’s more accurate. Again I’m more of the mind he’s his own player.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Re-watched some of the 2010 final last night.
JJ looked pretty agile it was very weird and my brain was completely pretzeled.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I'm pretty sure about that. Marino's looked stellar so far but I don't think anyone's capable of playing with JJ regularly and not being dragged into the muck, let alone a rookie. We've seen how legit superstars are pulled into the black hole.

I'd rather not saddle him him with that sort of cruel and unusual punishment when he's trying to get his bearings...adjusting to the NHL straight out of college would be hard enough without that anchor around his neck.
Marino could bust. Preseason doesn't always translate to regular season.

Riikola Preseason 2018-19

GP - 6
G - 2
A - 2
P - 4
+/- - +4

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
This probably serves me right for being so naive but I'm still surprised at how often it's been necessary to post "Slow Your Roll" or words to that effect re Marino exactly one season after Riikola burned us.

I will never forget the "Joe Morrow is God" thread from his first pre-season. An all-timer :laugh:

Reactions: Peat

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For me, Marino's simply a different level of prospect.
Riiko's a jobber who can find regular work in this league if he finds a consistent game.
Marino has 2nd pairing potential.
He has a very good base of foot speed, passing and puck skills, physicality.
Only a matter of time before he's a regular.
Yes, he should start in the A but soon...

ETA: Also Marino was punking and whizzing by NHL'ers in his pre-season games.
Straight up made Bertuzzi his bi***.
Knifed through Columbus's NZ defense that had Josh Anderson on the ice.
Chased down Eichel.

Reactions: Andy99

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

No thanks. Dump JJ and start Marino in the AHL. Always better to have more depth and not to rush a prospect in their first NHL season. There will be injuries and Marino will get his time.

Of course, if dumping JJ is impossible and someone gives you value for Guds, you may have to go that route.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
This probably serves me right for being so naive but I'm still surprised at how often it's been necessary to post "Slow Your Roll" or words to that effect re Marino exactly one season after Riikola burned us.

I think "Burned" is a strong word here

People do need to pump their brakes on Marino for sure. But Rikko played at appropriate and expected levels considering his credentials. It's just too bad our coach decided 82 games of JJ was preferable over getting a guy who is playing on the NA ice surface some quality time

Frankly I don't think we can expect Rikko to be appreciably better than last year, but we don't need him to be since he'd be on the 3rd pair (appropriately) . He's fine as your 6th guy. Jack Johnson belongs in the press box, full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad