GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
For me, Marino's simply a different level of prospect.
Riiko's a jobber who can find regular work in this league if he finds a consistent game.
Marino has 2nd pairing potential.
He has a very good base of foot speed, passing and puck skills, physicality.
Only a matter of time before he's a regular.
Yes, he should start in the A but soon...

ETA: Also Marino was punking and whizzing by NHL'ers in his pre-season games.
Straight up made Bertuzzi his bi***.
Knifed through Columbus's NZ defense that had Josh Anderson on the ice.
Chased down Eichel.

I don’t care how many times people tell me to pump the brakes on Marino, I can’t.....he’s the first recent young signed prospect we’ve had (Petts was a trade) who has top 4 potential...hell, not even potential, he’s ready now...I’m already in love with this guy and was as soon as he got one over on Dahlin...this guy is good now and I love his understated cockiness...super super excited to watch him...

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think "Burned" is a strong word here

People do need to pump their brakes on Marino for sure. But Rikko played at appropriate and expected levels considering his credentials. It's just too bad our coach decided 82 games of JJ was preferable over getting a guy who is playing on the NA ice surface some quality time

Frankly I don't think we can expect Rikko to be appreciably better than last year, but we don't need him to be since he'd be on the 3rd pair (appropriately) . He's fine as your 6th guy. Jack Johnson belongs in the press box, full stop.

His credentials, maybe yeah. But considering his pre-season performance? He was a significant disappointment compared to that imo. Ramping up the pace and craftiness exposed his flaws to the point that his possession stats were JJ-esque. If JJ hadn't been around nobody would have questioned him getting sat so often.

And if we're gonna expect guys to perform to their credentials rather than their pre-season, then pumping the brakes on Marino makes even more sense.

Maybe burned is a strong word, but I 100% stand by Riikola as being a golden example of why pre-season is to be taken lightly.

Reactions: PensandCaps

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don’t care how many times people tell me to pump the brakes on Marino, I can’t.....he’s the first recent young signed prospect we’ve had (Petts was a trade) who has top 4 potential...hell, not even potential, he’s ready now...I’m already in love with this guy and was as soon as he got one over on Dahlin...this guy is good now and I love his understated cockiness...super super excited to watch him...

Yea i forgot that one as well when he drove down the boards and by/around Dahlin.
He has that 10 and 2 skating that very few use in the league.
I certainly consider him a gem as people have been telling Friedman and he reported it.

Now i don't think he'll be this amazing offensive d-man but i liked the Niskanen or Jensen comparisons in terms of where he could end up landing/settling in.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yea i forgot that one as well when he drove down the boards and by/around Dahlin.
He has that 10 and 2 skating that very few use in the league.
I certainly consider him a gem as people have been telling Friedman and he reported it.

Now i don't think he'll be this amazing offensive d-man but i liked the Niskanen or Jensen comparisons in terms of where he could end up landing/settling in.

I like Cole’s cross between Martin and Daley...either way he’s a legit top 4 with
no warts that I’ve seen yet...when was the last time we’ve had a young guy this solid...I think he’ll be better than Petts...the coaching staff must be jumping for joy

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Marino was also a trade, with Edmonton, for a conditional pick. Then he got signed.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Ok. You got me on that one...technically...but i see him more as a college FA who wasn’t going to sign with the club that drafted him, like Will Butcher was
But would he have signed with the Pens without the trade? We will never know, but the trade allowed the Pens exclusive negotiation.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's ok to buy the hype, and also think he needs seasoning first.

Who am I kidding, this is HFBoards. You can only be 100% positive, or 100% negative on any subject.
What's the hype?

Literally most of us have him potentially as a #6 at some point this year for a call-up or two and could fight for a regular spot as a #6 next year. He could work his way up to a #4 maybe, who knows, but he won't start there.

Are people just making it seem like we think he's going to be Schultz's replacement or do we have a bunch of wankbuckets here that are making that claim?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
So the Leafs are praying for D Jordan Schmaltz to quietly pass through waivers and beef up the Marlies.

He’s a former 1st round pick just entering his peak years, and seems to have put all concussion concerns behind him. Still in contention to make the Leafs but they are likely to defer to their younger prospects over him, but are still hoping to keep him within the system.

I see a capable #5/6 defenceman we can grab for free. JR needs to be all over this, because there is literally zero risk and potentially a good benefit to our D core.

Edit: is this the right thread?

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
What's the hype?

Literally most of us have him potentially as a #6 at some point this year for a call-up or two and could fight for a regular spot as a #6 next year. He could work his way up to a #4 maybe, who knows, but he won't start there.

Are people just making it seem like we think he's going to be Schultz's replacement or do we have a bunch of wankbuckets here that are making that claim?

Funny thing is Schultz was just extra depth brought in at the deadline for a 4th. He didn't even get regular play until we saw Lovejoy I think go down.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What's the hype?

I'd say there's about 3 or 4 people who think (or seem to think) that Marino is ready now and that he'd have a Pettersson-esque effect but that's it. They say it a lot but most people are probably "excited but cautious" at this stage. Although I guess if PensandCaps reckons he won't be more than a 6/7, then even that is too much hype.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So the Leafs are praying for D Jordan Schmaltz to quietly pass through waivers and beef up the Marlies.

He’s a former 1st round pick just entering his peak years, and seems to have put all concussion concerns behind him. Still in contention to make the Leafs but they are likely to defer to their younger prospects over him, but are still hoping to keep him within the system.

I see a capable #5/6 defenceman we can grab for free. JR needs to be all over this, because there is literally zero risk and potentially a good benefit to our D core.

Edit: is this the right thread?

Are you his agent?

You're hell bent on him getting on the Pens. No space. No cap. No waiver pickup. Sorry.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What's the hype?

People are claiming he'll immediately replace Schultz, yes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People are claiming he'll immediately replace Schultz, yes.
T62f.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Funny thing is Schultz was just extra depth brought in at the deadline for a 4th. He didn't even get regular play until we saw Lovejoy I think go down.
Except Schultz was playing in this league as a regular and the pens got him when he was fallen out of favor on the worst development team
In the league then and even now. Not comparable his situation. Justin already showed he could he top 4 capable. I didn’t say Marino couldn’t do it , but as soon as next year is a stretch. As for Pettersson I don’t even think he’s a top 4 right now. He’s a 5 at best.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

They played him over Pouliot a ton in the RS. Although he didn’t get playoff reps until the cheap shot on Maatta and then the injury to Daley. And Pouliot was actually the first player in for Maatta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad