GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can understand it from Sid's point of view during the regular season, but the numbers don't lie. They are better together. So come playoff time or if the season is not going well, they should be put together. Not as a last resort when you're down 2 games to none in the playoffs. Right away. Minute 1 of Game 1 of the opening series.

Horny's line did better when away from Sid last season, Sid's line did better when away from Horny this season. Horny's improved Malkin two seasons in a row. Horny and Bjugstad had a better xGF% than Sid and Horny.

Those numbers aren't telling me that Horny and Sid are better together.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Lots of players on there who can play center. Should be good for interesting line combos throughout the game.

I'd guess on ZAR-Blueger-Kahun being one line as they've been together, and McCann-Bjugstad-? as another with Bjorkqvist probably the frontrunner for that, but after that?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yup...too bad they don't have that same kind of depth at Defense

They do...they’re just not ready to put in Marino or Riikola over the worst player in the NHL by a mile....even though they should

Yea, the reality is theres the real depth list which is much improved from last season and Sully and JR's depth list.
JJ sticks out like a huge stinking pile of thumbs and should be dropped down around 4 slots or more.

What SHOULD happen is Riiko, P-O and Marino battle it out for spot #6.
JJ and Ruh can skate together every practice, whether here or in Wilkes, til they are outta here...

ETA: The most maddening thing is they'll waive better D-men than JJ(even if they sorta suck too Trotman, Riiko or Ruh maybe) when you could simply have JJ as one of the waived and 100% keep your depth...

I'm not worried about Sully mixing the F lines in pre-season compared to last season. Theres lots of options to play with Sid now and like a poster above said, Rust, Kahun, etc. will be patrolling the 4th line. The days of only having ZAR as a Geno winger option past Hagelin are long gone.

ETA: I'm interested in seeing how DiPauli fares after another short season last year...We liked him alot last pre-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taz62 and Andy99

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
People are forgetting that Sully isn't going to let P-O play like that in the regular season. He's going to be neutered, because he's not a vet.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
As much as I would like Johnson gone, I see the only way to potentially getting his cap-hit out entirely without giving up too much to do so, is if he gets a chance to play better than he did last year and takes that. Hence becoming more tradeable.

If you waive him and send him to WBS you end up having the cap-ramifications anyway, while further adding to his negative value. You only do that if his on-ice performances become a serious drag on the team again, and you believe a POJ or Riiko (etc.) will get you substantially better results.

At least from the start of the season, I would surely go with the scenario that could hypothetically get us the ideal outcome. If the forward group performs better than last year and we start out with better goal tending than last year (hard to imagine not), then Johnson should also benefit like any other D-man on the roster.

Ultimately we might well have to bite into the turd, but with Petts signed, there is no longer any rush to do so.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sid is not even practicing today...is it time yet for me to bring out my conspiracy theories and worry that he’s harboring an injury?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Perhaps random at this stage....

Would like to see Bjugstad get a game at RW with Malkin and Chucky. Let him take weak side draws, work the boards and crash the net. In theory there should be a lot of complimentary abilities there.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Would like to see Bjugstad get a game at RW with Malkin and Chucky. Let him take weak side draws, work the boards and crash the net. In theory there should be a lot of complimentary abilities there.

Bjugstad has looked best at center IMO. He's good at fending guys off with his reach, not so much at being the first guy in disrupting and getting the puck to his center.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I feel like you have too many RWs and too few guys who can handle being a center for me to want to make that move. If someone else can play 3C, I'm probably moving Bjugstad relatively quickly.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
It's interesting seeing so many people who lambasted trading Sprong talking up Petts a year later.

That was a fantastic trade then. And it's even better now.

Sprong did very well for himself too in Anaheim. Both teams probably thrilled with the trade.

kinda proved Sprong fans right. All he needed was an opportunity and a little more ice time.

But having a young Top 4 Dman in Petts is more valuable imo.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Bjugstad has looked best at center IMO. He's good at fending guys off with his reach, not so much at being the first guy in disrupting and getting the puck to his center.

Well.... he was at his most productive in Florida as a winger with Barkov, and with us he hasn't played much else than C, except for the early attempt with Geno and Kessel, which I think for many reason now should have an asterix to it.

Of course, with the current roster we are rather congested at W to begin with and less so at C before Blueger or Lafferty conclusively show they can step up (or one of the other wingers who can play C were to make a claim).

This of course also because I just don't think Tanev will last with Malkin, even if I am fine with them giving him a shot at it.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
How has Chucky looked for you guys in pre-season?

I remember thinking to myself he'd be lethal on a team like the Pens back when he was a Habs. Is he going to be used on the RW half-wall for his one-timer on the PP even though that's typically where Crosby hangs out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad