GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Sullivan's getting weird already. I can't tell if they're just trying other combinations and just rotating those 3 through the lineup or if Sullivan actually soured on the 1st and 2nd line RWs.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Sullivan's getting weird already. I can't tell if they're just trying other combinations and just rotating those 3 through the lineup or if Sullivan actually soured on the 1st and 2nd line RWs.

Looks like he soured on seeing Kahun and Tanev as top 6 options after one preseason game--how Sullivan of him...lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Looks like he soured on seeing Kahun and Tanev as top 6 options after one preseason game--how Sullivan of him...lol

It was only one piddly preseason game, for sure. But I have to say I wasn't all that impressed with either last night.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Or maybe since, you know, its pre-season, he's trying out new things when the stakes are zilch?

Hold on while I cover my head, I dont want rotted brain parts hitting me after your head explodes when you read that nugget of insight.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

I see nothing weird about it. I mean why not throw things together NOW to see if some weird concoction fits?

If Tanev miraculously (I'm not banking on it) becomes a decent 3rd wheel with Sid that just increases lineup flexibility
Plus Rust at RW with Geno seemed to always be solid.

I'm one of the most vocal on line combos, so I'm happy to see him play around with things.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Or maybe since, you know, its pre-season, he's trying out new things when the stakes are zilch?

Hold on while I cover my head, I dont want rotted brain parts hitting me after your head explodes when you read that nugget of insight.

I think they’re just using pre-season to do pre-season things.
While I agree, I think this is going to be a season long experiment. Changes probably won't happen after every game, but this is Sully's MO. I think we will see all of Hornqvist, Rust, Kahun, Tanev, McCann, and Simon see time with Crosby and Malkin throughout the year. Probably even ZAR, too.

Reactions: Fordy and Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
While I agree, I think this is going to be a season long experiment. Changes probably won't happen after every game, but this is Sully's MO. I think we will see all of Hornqvist, Rust, Kahun, Tanev, McCann, and Simon see time with Crosby and Malkin throughout the year. Probably even ZAR, too.

With the number of new styles and players, we should be rotating a lot of guys. Rust, Simon, Tanev, Kahun...all should be in and out of different lines.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You got this by seeing Tanev moved from 2nd line to 1st line?

Just seemed like Sully was questioning him on L2...that starts the questioning all around...I definitely don't think he ends up playing with Sid

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You got this by seeing Tanev moved from 2nd line to 1st line?

Yeah, if anything, the conclusion you’d jump to is that they’re trying make Tanev work in the top 6. He didn’t work well enough with GM so now he’s on to GC. It feels pretty standard for JR’s controversial moves. I really like the idea of Rust with GM as long as he doesn’t repeat last season.

I feel a little sorry for Simon if he’s competing with ZAR for a spot and they’ve played him at C in every preseason game. He hasn’t done particularly well there either.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
yeah shocker that all the rabble over day 1 lines and players no longer having a place on the team was completely unjustified

Fordy

May 28, 2008

it’s... 1 game in for any of these lines. no one has soured on anything. they’re going to switch the lines up all year, like always

Fordy

May 28, 2008
actually there’s no place left on the team for hornqvist teacher emoji

Reactions: pistolpete11

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think they’re just using pre-season to do pre-season things.

This is probably right, but I'd expect more line changes than what we've seen if it was just using pre-season to do pre-season things. I know that Guentzel-Crosby, Galchenyuk-Malkin and Bjugstad-Hornqvist are all locks, but you do have some flexibility to try other things there. I'd 100% agree with you if we also saw something like Simon with Bjugstad and McCann as the 4th line LW.

I figured they were probably just rotating the guys, but Sullivan has also historically been trigger happy at changing lines and Kahun struggled last night.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
If Kahun's biggest plus is that he's a Guentzel-light, I really don't want him on the top line. I'd think that would dilute the Sid-Jake dynamic more than compliment it. I'd rather he mesh nicely with a bottom six tandem and bring some offensive enhancements to that group.

With Geno, I want either Tanev or Rust, and IMO the more aggression from that piece the better.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Changes probably won't happen after every game, but this is Sully's MO. I think we will see all of Hornqvist, Rust, Kahun, Tanev, McCann, and Simon see time with Crosby and Malkin throughout the year. Probably even ZAR, too.

Horny is only allowed to play with Sid when we're down in a playoff series.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Don't want to read too much into training camp line combos, but I doubt Rutherford wanted Maatta traded for a 4th liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad