GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's not even worthy of a thought. Im believing that JJ will play and stay in Pittsburgh until he doesn't. Maybe this is just a way to deal with the frustration

Those who believe we are about to watch JJ are prepared to laugh at anything.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's not just a rough outline of the varsity and WB/S roster, that is the varsity and WBS roster. Team 1 has a 24 man roster, with Jarry being the 24th man and the other 23 being the NHL roster.

Reactions: Peat and EightyOne

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
In the latest from lies, damn lies, and statistics, Jesse used Tierney's WAR model to try and project a line for Geno

Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev were the worst; replacing Tanev with Rust made it barely better.

The best line was Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist. Even as someone who approves of that outcome, I'm a tad doubting.

edit: Chucky-Geno-Horny was the best Chucky line.

Yeah I appreciate the write up but..

WAR is not supposed to be used as a predictive statistic. Yes he tried make some changes to account for that, but if you read his methodology the whole thing is very sketchy as an accurate predictor to me. I think it’s just supposed to be a fun tool that generates clicks.

Especially given that Tanev, Galchenyuk are brand new to the roster, I’d take that article with a grain of salt as of right now.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
So Adam Johnson isn't making the cut. Does he require waivers in order to be sent down?

Edit: According to CapFriendly he's exempt. Well that's good at least.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So Adam Johnson isn't making the cut. Does he require waivers in order to be sent down?

Edit: According to CapFriendly he's exempt. Well that's good at least.

I really feel bad for players like Lafferty and AJ who have been in the system for years and could probably play in the bottom six rn but will get no more than a cup of coffee at best because of FO mismanagement with FAs...I don't see ZAR as a better player for example...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

ZAR over Simon is a bad decision and Johnson-Gudbranson as the 3rd pair is laughable, but I do really like the rest of the lineup a lot. The Penguins may need to just pull a 2015 Hawks with their bottom pair, play the **** out of your top-4 and give your bottom pair like 10 minutes a night.

Yep...in no universe does ZAR deserve a jersey over Simon...but they might as well see if JJ-Guds can cut it before looking at other options...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really feel bad for players like Lafferty and AJ who have been in the system for years and could probably play in the bottom six rn but will get no more than a cup of coffee at best because of FO mismanagement with FAs...I don't see ZAR as a better player for example...

Last year was Lafferty's rookie season and Johnson has 2 seasons in the AHL. Not only that, but the Penguins basically admitted that they signed Johnson a year early because they thought he'd be a ZAR-caliber undrafted free agent (who was the top forward of his UDFA class) if he played another year in college.

And how has the FO had a mismanagement with free agents? The only UFA forward they've signed to a multi year deal in the last 5 years was Tanev. This just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining, there is nothing wrong with waiver exempt guys with room to grow spending time in the AHL.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I'm not too worried, I'm confident they'll be on the team by the trade deadline. But yeah, I don't think ZAR deserves a roster spot right now.

Reactions: Andy99

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Simon out of the lineup is a waste, although ZAR also deserves a spot. But with injuries he'll probably be playing more than at least someone in that lineup.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
It would be great if they would play Simon and Riik vs speed/skill teams and JJ and ZAR against heavy/bigger teams.

I love JJ not being in the top 4. That is the best news. Top 4, top 9. Let everything else play out. I like it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really understand this obsession with putting Tanev with Malkin. McCann, Hornqvist, and Rust are all better players.

-McCann is a LW and Galchenyuk is a LW, so that doesn't work. If they re-sign Galchenyuk, I'm going to start openly questioning McCann's future here. He's capped out as a 3rd liner at best, whether he's at C or LW.
-Hornqvist is strong analytically, but I don't think he has the speed to be an effective puck retriever for Malkin
-Rust is better than Tanev, but Rust is slower and worse defensively than Tanev. For what that line needs, I think Tanev fits that line better than Rust

It's not just about playing the best players the highest in the lineup.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I like the makeup of the top two lines and the top four D. We have no third line right now. That's a problem. We need Riikola to make a statement this training camp. Otherwise, we have a problem.

JR cannot be done here. Something is going to happen. As for Tanev, we signed the guy to such a massively-long contract, we might as well see if we can get max production out of him.

Besides, it SHOULD (in theory) allow Malkin and Galchenyuk to roam free with such a responsible defensive winger on their line. And he hits, too.

This is clearly a work in progress.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like the makeup of the top two lines and the top four D. We have no third line right now. That's a problem. We need Riikola to make a statement this training camp. Otherwise, we have a problem.

JR cannot be done here. Something is going to happen. As for Tanev, we signed the guy to such a massively-long contract, we might as well see if we can get max production out of him.

Besides, it SHOULD (in theory) allow Malkin and Galchenyuk to roam free with such a responsible defensive winger on their line. And he hits, too.

This is clearly a work in progress.

Uh.......what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad