Confirmed with Link: Penguins trade Joe Morrow, 2013 5th to DAL for Brenden Morrow, 2013 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Guys, remember we all hated the Noah Welch/ Gary Roberts trade too. Let's see how this all plays out.
That is a dumb comparison. Roberts was always a beast and he brought something to the Pens they lacked. Morrow is on par with Kennedy who this board loathes. And we gave up our best prospect.

Marcus Halberstram*

Well. . . On the surface, this looks not really good. Here's hoping that possibly one last shot at a Cup is enough to rejuvenate one battle worn and tested Brenden Morrow.

Playoffs are all about grit, veteran leadership, and intangibles, right? Right? RIGHT?!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Brenden Morrow is a type of player you need for playoffs.

Brendan Morrow circa 2010 is the type of player you need for the playoffs.

Brendan Morrow circa 2013 is debatable.

EDIT: My only hopes are (a) that he finds the juice for one last run and (b) that he is there to beat the **** out of Neal every time he stops moving his feet.

Then why would a team in playoff contention trade him.

I see what you did there . . . :)

EDIT: Hoping for the best, but if the worst comes true with Morrow (i.e., he's shot), then I better not hear anyone ***** and moan because Geno can't carry lazy *** and a gimp through the playoffs.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Pretty sure no one hated the Roberts deal. Morrow is a far better prospect than Welch was.

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
The cup will come out, to Morrow. Bet your 4.5 million dollars that Brenden Morrow, will bring the cup.

When you're stuck with a trade that brings dismay and anger, you just stick up your chin and grin and say.

The cup will come out, to Morrow. Shero believes in Brenden Morrow.
We'll see after May.

Brenden Morrow, Brenden Morrow.
We'll love ya, tomorrow.

He was only a trade away!

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Some of these comments comparing Morrow to Kennedy and Dupuis are outright hysterical. There is no doubt you guys haven't seen BM play more than 5 games in your life.

The guy is more like Tocchet/Kunitz/Roberts than anything.

The biggest addition I think he's going to give to the team more than anything is leadership. He's one of the best locker room guys in the NHL. I think the Pens lost some of that when we lost Guerin/Talbot.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Regardless of whether or not Brenden Morrow works out here, I don't hate acquiring him.. I hate the exchange. A top d-prospect for a probable rental, tweener of a 2nd/3rd liner. I don't hate trading JM, but if you do it, you look for a long-term solution or at the very least, a big time rental coming back. (even Jags, but more along the lines of Iggy)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The cup will come out, to Morrow. Bet your 4.5 million dollars that Brenden Morrow, will bring the cup.

When you're stuck with a trade that brings dismay and anger, you just stick up your chin and grin and say.

We'll see after May.

We'll love ya, tomorrow.

:laugh:

thanks for that

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
God i hope we don't get Iginla now...it would be a CRAZY funny return. I'm sorry but 1 year at the cup would not be worth losing most of your prospects over.....we would have none left, which is not a good thing because cheap contracts when the cap gets tight.

Lol, come on. Letang is 25, Niskanen is still young, Despres is coming along nicely, we have Martin for two more years, we can spare puck moving D prospects. We could move another one in a deal for Iggy and it wouldn't matter. As long as we don't move Harrington, who is our only defensive dman prospect, I would be very happy if we traded any of Maataa, Dumoulin or Pouliot in a deal for Iggy. Cup > prospects.

Skillzz

Registered Boozer
Jan 27, 2012
Omicron Persei 8

We'll see after May.

We'll love ya, tomorrow.

why aren't you preparing to jump off a bridge like the rest of us

But actually though, this made me giggle

pensfansince88

Feb 5, 2012
i'm happy to see a new face in the lineup, just not easy to forget the potential we are losing. we better give letang all the money he wants when the time comes

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
What others around the Internet think of this trade:

Joe Yerdon, Pro Hockey Talk: "Morrow gives the Pens a rugged leader-type of winger who has familiarity with James Neal, Sidney Crosby, and Matt Niskanen already from his time in Dallas and on the Canadian Olympic team in 2010."

Harrison Mooney, Puck Daddy: "The move has to be a scary one for other clubs in the Eastern Conference, as a Penguins' forward corps that's already as formidable as they come adds another big forward to their top six. Suppose Morrow is placed on a line with Evgeni Malkin and James Neal: that line instantly becomes a lot tougher, as well as tougher to defend."

Sean Gentille, Sporting News: "It's not a bad deal, per se, because the Penguins are a win-now team dealing from a stockpile of top young defensemen, but the Brenden Morrow of 2013 is far from the Brenden Morrow of 2011. He was limited to 57 games last season and has, in short, been bad so far in 2013."

Pierre LeBrun, ESPN.com: "But over the past two years he's been slowed down by injuries. He's got six goals and five assists in 23 games this season and while he's not quite the same player he was before, he remains a quality character player who would bring experience, skill and toughness to the Penguins' lineup, should he accept the move."

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Unless we win the Cup, we lost this deal. Badly. I am a huge Shero fan and I will have no problem calling this a bad deal and one that smears the quality of the Neal - Goligonovksi trade a little bit because unlike last time we got a guy who is on his last legs. Pouliot better be the bomb on the PP and you can officially put him on the "no chance he'll be traded this year" list, at this point.

Brendan Morrow is still a solid player and he will make our Top 6 better, but long term this is freakin awful deal. We just gave our PPQB of the future (IMO) to Dallas, for a 34 year old who is banged up and is unlikely to play another full 82 game season in his career. What's worse, we went for the "lesser old guy".

This is a pretty clear sign Shero is going for depth F and depth D. So everyone better get ideas of Iginla and guys like that out of their head or you're cruisin' for disappoint.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
God i hope we don't get Iginla now...it would be a CRAZY funny return. I'm sorry but 1 year at the cup would not be worth losing most of your prospects over.....we would have none left, which is not a good thing because cheap contracts when the cap gets tight.

Iginla isn't going to fetch all five of our d prospects that we still have left, so....no.

Frankly the only prospect I'd hate to lose is Pouliot. I could live with losing any of the others, although losing Despres would suck.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You guys can freak out all we want but we have by far the largest group of defensive prospects.
Derrick Pouliot
Simon Despres
Olli Maatta
Scott Harrington
Brian Dumoulin
I think we can live without Morrow........

This is true, but bottom line, some of these guys will never play for the Pens. There is only so many slots. So I think the anger comes with the feeing that if they are going to start being moved why not get more or make him part of a package to get more.

B.Morrow doesn't fit a need on the team, does he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad