Confirmed with Link: Penguins trade Joe Morrow, 2013 5th to DAL for Brenden Morrow, 2013 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Brendan Morrow circa 2010 is the type of player you need for the playoffs.

Brendan Morrow circa 2013 is debatable.

EDIT: My only hopes are (a) that he finds the juice for one last run and (b) that he is there to beat the **** out of Neal every time he stops moving his feet.

I see what you did there . . . :)

EDIT: Hoping for the best, but if the worst comes true with Morrow (i.e., he's shot), then I better not hear anyone ***** and moan because Geno can't carry lazy *** and a gimp through the playoffs.
This is pretty much the rub. The Pens are really banking on him getting a spark from the trade.

As an aside to people who keep referring to J. Morrow as the Pens' "top prospect," he fell on pretty much every prospect list this season. Partially because of his slow transition to the pros and partially because of the influx of talent from the last draft. He was most recently No. 4 on this site and No. 4 in the annual rankings compiled by Molinari in December with input from the Pens' brass.

That is in no way an attempt to make a rationalization for the trade. Just trying to correct some erroneous comments in the thread.

Lamar Latrell

Jun 25, 2007
This trade reeks of a GM so concerned with his job security he is rashly discounting long-term value. Another quick playoff exit and that might be it for Shero. These are the trades you regret horribly in the long-run.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Some of these comments comparing Morrow to Kennedy and Dupuis are outright hysterical. There is no doubt you guys haven't seen BM play more than 5 games in your life.

The guy is more like Tocchet/Kunitz/Roberts than anything.

The biggest addition I think he's going to give to the team more than anything is leadership. He's one of the best locker room guys in the NHL. I think the Pens lost some of that when we lost Guerin/Talbot.

Tocchet, Roberts!?????? Lol. Shirley you can't be serious.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah I am happy we got Brendan Morrow. He is certainly a guy that can help us. I'm just really surprised at the cost. Joe Morrow was not the guy I imagined in a trade for Morrow. I'm getting confused with this Morrow for Morrow stuff haha.

The Pens are a better team today and heading into the playoffs. I'm just not sure we are better in a few years. This also ups the urgency to re-sign Letang. Not that Morrow was Letang or ever would be, but he has the offensive upside that could lessen the blow.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Who the hell is Noah Welch...

He was a prospect we had that busted who we thought had alot of potential to be a solid player, but he's not even in NA i believe, over in Europe. That trade was so good!!!!!! Roberts just whooped everyone's ass! Dirty player, got away with ALOT, but having him on your team? priceless. Even the officials were afraid of him.

Guins71

Mar 22, 2004
This team is talented and playing awesome, but i don't think that translated to the playoffs. Case in point last years playoffs. I think they are adding Morrow and someone else. It might be Iginla. It might be a rugged D. I think they are adding some sandpaper and it's going to cost us our prospects.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This is pretty much the rub. The Pens are really banking on him getting a spark from the trade.

As an aside to people who keep referring to J. Morrow as the Pens' "top prospect," he fell on pretty much every prospect list this season. Partially because of his slow transition to the pros and partially because of the influx of talent from the last draft. He was most recently No. 4 on this site and No. 4 in the annual rankings compiled by Molinari in December with input from the Pens' brass.

That is in no way an attempt to make a rationalization for the trade. Just trying to correct some erroneous comments in the thread.

Top-4 seems top to me:(

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Our playoff woes since the cup year have largely been due to defensive breakdowns and guys losing focus. If he brings some added locker room leadership/stability, then that may be all we need.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Lol, come on. Letang is 25, Niskanen is still young, Despres is coming along nicely, we have Martin for two more years, we can spare puck moving D prospects. We could move another one in a deal for Iggy and it wouldn't matter. As long as we don't move Harrington, who is our only defensive dman prospect, I would be very happy if we traded any of Maataa, Dumoulin or Pouliot in a deal for Iggy. Cup > prospects.
All great points except we got nothing in return for our top prospect.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Pretty sure no one hated the Roberts deal. Morrow is a far better prospect than Welch was.
Oh, around here people sure did. Welch was hugely overrated on this very board. We're talking about a previous regime and in the midst of a miserable and depressing stretch of hockey that colored people's opinions. But Welch was a big-time Pens-HF favorite. Many were not happy at all that he was traded at all.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
I've a mixed initial reaction about this trade. obviously a steep price was paid. one thing that is being obscured in the instant analysis, though, is how much this team was in need of veteran leadership going into the playoffs.

this team came completely unglued last spring. and we've not injected anything different, chemistry-wise, into that mix. I don't think RS was willing to bank on the fact that this team 'grew up' over the lockout.

say what you will about Morrow's eroding skillset. hopefully, though, he will help us maintain our composure and play with the right amount of edge when it matters most.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Some of these comments comparing Morrow to Kennedy and Dupuis are outright hysterical. There is no doubt you guys haven't seen BM play more than 5 games in your life.

The biggest addition I think he's going to give to the team more than anything is leadership. He's one of the best locker room guys in the NHL. I think the Pens lost some of that when we lost Guerin/Talbot.

I'm not saying I don't like bringing him in but the cost seems too much. If that's what it takes in this market I hate to see what some teams going to give up for Iginla.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Really, this must be that make up trade for the last Neal, Niskanen for Goligoski trade.

Who's getting taken off the roster to fit him in?

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

Tocchet and Roberts? Um, ok.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
At first I was a bit pissed off with this deal but now that you actually look at it - it's not too bad. I mean, yeah, Morrow is a well hyped prospect who will likely become a top 4 D-man in the future but it was unlikely he was going to fill that here for a while - if ever. Even if you move Orpik and Niskanen away you'd still have Despres and potentially Bortuzzo ahead of you. Bortuzzo isn't going to be a top 4 D-man in the future but he's still improving so I'll give him benefit. Even if he doesn't sort out though you still have Maatta, Harrington, Pouliot and Dumolin who will be fighting for those bottom 4 positions over the next 1/2 seasons.

Could we have gotten better for Morrow? Yes - Iginla. But we haven't gotten a bum. We've gotten a player that will help with our scoring depth and add something in front of the net. Would've liked to have a prospect come back to us but I'll live with it. Finally if the reports that both parties (Pittsburgh-Morrow) didn't see the same thing and it was causing problems then it gives more pretence to trade him. All the best Joe. Least we knew ye.

RazorRamon12

Jul 8, 2004
Hockey's future has Morrow has him as a 7.5 C. Welch was a 7.0 A. Pretty comparable trade to the Morrow trade if we are using the same metrics as laid out by this site. I understand that pure "numbers" don't tell everything, but seems applicable in this instance.

Plus Shero has let go of Welch, Angelo, that first, and GoGo (not a prospect at the time per say, but I believe it still applies as he wasn't a Pro for that long. I can not remember a prospect Shero has let go of who has turned into a stud that we've really regretted or who has been brought up on these boards as a bad trade (Think we'd hear about it a lot).

I'm not saying this trade is good or will not come back to bite us (it could), but GMRS has AT LEAST earned the benefit of letting this trade play out through the playoffs this year.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Unless we win the Cup, we lost this deal. Badly. I am a huge Shero fan and I will have no problem calling this a bad deal and one that smears the quality of the Neal - Goligonovksi deal a little bit because unless last time we got a guy who is on his last legs. Pouliot better be the bomb on the PP and you can officially put him on the "no chance he'll be traded this year" list, at this point.

Brendan Morrow is still a solid player and he will make our Top 6 better, but long term this is freakin awful deal. We just gave our PPQB of the future (IMO) to Dallas, for a 34 year old who is banged up and is unlikely to play another full 82 game season in his career. What's worse, we went for the "lesser old guy".

This is a pretty clear sign Shero is going for depth F and depth D. So everyone better get ideas of Iginla and guys like that out of their head or you're cruisin' for disappoint.

What makes me feel more at ease about this deal is that there's still 10 days left until the TDL and hopefully, it'll be enough to make the Pens realize that he is not a good fit for the top 6 given his wear & tear. That would give Shero ample time to work on acquiring a LW for the 2nd line like Peter Mueller. Affordable and reasonably available. What would make it utterly disappointing is if he ends up playing on the 3rd line with Sutter while cooke gets upgraded to the 2nd. That would be devastating given that it cost us Joe Diamond to get him.

If Cooke can play RW, a Morrow-Sutter-Cooke 3rd line would be sweet!!!

Morrow is NOT our solution for our 2nd line LW.

Fire Shero*

Wow

Are we sure Shero isn't locked in a closet and Don Waddell has been running this team since the Michalek trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad