Confirmed with Link: Penguins trade Derrick Pouliot to Canucks for Andrey Pedan, 4th rd. pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
That might be true, but they also probably don't want to suck. and just spent 4MM x 3 for Dadonov. If they were so concerned about money right now, no idea why they shell out 4MM a year for a relatively unproven player.

Honestly, I have no idea what the hell Florida is doing.

Neither does Florida. It's like they're consulting a magic 8 ball to make decisions.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I feel like given where they were drafted we should've traded him for Forsberg. #JRUndervaluingLegendaryDraftTalent

Did I mention I'm really happy we don't have to think or talk about DP anymore?
Unless somehow dp puts it all together and becomes a top 4 dman, then th discussion will live on

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like given where they were drafted we should've traded him for Forsberg. #JRUndervaluingLegendaryDraftTalent

Did I mention I'm really happy we don't have to think or talk about DP anymore?

Haha, you think it's over? Wait until he plays his first game.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Pouliot and Schultz aren't even remotely the same in terms of failed prospects turned reclamation projects. Schultz always had the drive to succeed and the talent. He was simply forced into too big of a role too early, and it stunted his development. His motivation allowed him to overcome that challenge and realize his full potential.

Pouliot hasn't been successful, because he is complacent with relying on his talent, and has no real desire to work on the finer details. Being traded to the worst managed team in the NHL isn't going to cause a spark. He'll be out of the league in a couple of years; beer league seems more his style.
Yeah but I bet it will be a really competitive beer league.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
DP has had a ton of playing time with all our injuries on defence. He’s averaged 16:09 toi in 9 games this year. His play is objectively improving, but it’s baby steps thus far. Not aware of any personal issues yet since coming to Vancouver. ie no “Roxy flu”. He’s been atrocious at times and exciting at others. Green has been saying good things.

Considering he’s damaged, I’m not expecting anything significant from him this year, but am hopeful for him to turn it around.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wouldn't say he's "damaged"...he's just not all that great - at least considering his draft pedigree.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
DP has had a ton of playing time with all our injuries on defence. He’s averaged 16:09 toi in 9 games this year. His play is objectively improving, but it’s baby steps thus far. Not aware of any personal issues yet since coming to Vancouver. ie no “Roxy flu”. He’s been atrocious at times and exciting at others. Green has been saying good things.

Considering he’s damaged, I’m not expecting anything significant from him this year, but am hopeful for him to turn it around.

I think the two fanbases' mindsets will always be different when viewing Pouliot because of expectations going in.

In Pittsburgh, he'll always be remembered as a first round, 8th overall pick. So even if he ever panned out as a #6 defenseman, it would be a massive disappointment, especially when you factor in who was available at that spot instead.

In Vancouver, he's almost just free money. So if he turns into a regular NHLer, even a fringe one, it'll be seen as a positive. He doesn't have to play like a top four defender, because he was acquired for dirt cheap as a reclamation project.

Reactions: vodeni

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Still can't see why couldn't give him PT here over Ruh or Trotman. Oh well, it is what it is.

Ruhwedel is better than Pouliot and Trotman is in the AHL when everyone is healthy.

I wouldn't say Pouliot is "damaged", someone like Schultz was damaged when he was traded here. Pouliot just isn't very good, he's a reclamation project if you believe he has any sort of potential and just a mediocre fringe AHLer/NHLer if you don't think he has any sort of potential. I lean much towards the 2nd than the 1st personally. At best he ends up a bottom pair defenseman IMO, and a lot would have to go right for that to happen.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pouliot isn't the kinda guy that's going to look real good playing 40 games a year and 12-13 minutes in those games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Well, it's not the boozing he's been a fan of, it's the "sticky-icky" and living in your city, I know that's a huge culture thing here as much as it annoys the crap out of me (your city has the biggest population of vapers I have ever seen...it's disgusting).

I've seen Pouliot, he's still the same, just sheltered a bit more by Green, mostly because Green is familiar with his short comings and is just making sure he's not put in a bad situation, I still don't think Pouliot is much more than a "meh" 6/7th defensemen. But with that said, Ruhwedel is much better than him and I even like Corrado (sound familiar?) much better than Pouliot on the depth chart. Trotman sucks though.

If he somehow manages to carve out a career as a #6/7th defensemen for you guys, I think Benning/Green will be happy with that. We're very curious about Pedan, I don't even remember seeing him here for you guys and I go to games often (free tickets from work). Really curious when he does get a call up, how his mobility looks on this team.

Paulinvancouver

Dec 19, 2015
Well, it's not the boozing he's been a fan of, it's the "sticky-icky" and living in your city, I know that's a huge culture thing here as much as it annoys the crap out of me (your city has the biggest population of vapers I have ever seen...it's disgusting).

I've seen Pouliot, he's still the same, just sheltered a bit more by Green, mostly because Green is familiar with his short comings and is just making sure he's not put in a bad situation, I still don't think Pouliot is much more than a "meh" 6/7th defensemen. But with that said, Ruhwedel is much better than him and I even like Corrado (sound familiar?) much better than Pouliot on the depth chart. Trotman sucks though.

If he somehow manages to carve out a career as a #6/7th defensemen for you guys, I think Benning/Green will be happy with that. We're very curious about Pedan, I don't even remember seeing him here for you guys and I go to games often (free tickets from work). Really curious when he does get a call up, how his mobility looks on this team.
Yes there's a lot of ways a young kid can get himself in trouble in this city. I haven't heard any news on how he interacts with the team yet (read some things about how he wouldn't hang out with your boys and was always a loner). Maybe he can fit in with the other youths we've got out here.
That makes sense bc the 24 year old (Pedan) has only played 13 games in a Canucks uniform.

Paulinvancouver

Dec 19, 2015
I think the two fanbases' mindsets will always be different when viewing Pouliot because of expectations going in.

In Pittsburgh, he'll always be remembered as a first round, 8th overall pick. So even if he ever panned out as a #6 defenseman, it would be a massive disappointment, especially when you factor in who was available at that spot instead.

In Vancouver, he's almost just free money. So if he turns into a regular NHLer, even a fringe one, it'll be seen as a positive. He doesn't have to play like a top four defender, because he was acquired for dirt cheap as a reclamation project.
Yeah, that's essentially how I look at the kid. I don't mind at all the process of acquiring former high skilled players drafted early. They're cheap and can be acquired like lottery tickets. If one pays off, we're golden. Low expectations for him, but still crossing fingers.

Ditch Donkey

Oct 3, 2017
Unless somehow dp puts it all together and becomes a top 4 dman, then th discussion will live on

Pouliot isn't the kinda guy that's going to look real good playing 40 games a year and 12-13 minutes in those games.

Pouliot has been a steady dman on an injury riddled Canucks team, he's looked pretty swell for a player who seems to be KHL bound next season.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I haven't watched one Vancouver game besides the two games they played against the pens, but DP being a healthy scratch tonight would seem to suggest that hes not playing very good.

Reactions: Whakahere

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I haven't watched one Vancouver game besides the two games they played against the pens, but DP being a healthy scratch tonight would seem to suggest that hes not playing very good.

Pouliot looks like he has had a massive cold streak after a 4 point game at the start of December. He went from being on pace for 33 points while being +2 and playing 18:00 a night to being on pace for 23 points while being a -13. He has 1 point in his last 14 games and is -15 over those games.

So basically, he was at his best playing as a bottom pair OFD. At worst, he has been absolutely dreadful. I'm just thinking he's not very good, which is based on his horrid run recently plus him "playing well" equating to a 30 point #5 defensemen with ultra sheltered minutes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Someone needs to edit that title to update the trade.

That 4th is Oleksiak now. Pouliot for Pedan + 4th that was used for Oleksiak.

Knowing that, I am very happy with the trade regardless of how well Pouliot does because Oleksiak is 10x the player he is.

Reactions: UnrealMachine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pouliot looks like he has had a massive cold streak after a 4 point game at the start of December. He went from being on pace for 33 points while being +2 and playing 18:00 a night to being on pace for 23 points while being a -13. He has 1 point in his last 14 games and is -15 over those games.

So basically, he was at his best playing as a bottom pair OFD. At worst, he has been absolutely dreadful. I'm just thinking he's not very good, which is based on his horrid run recently plus him "playing well" equating to a 30 point #5 defensemen with ultra sheltered minutes.

Yet, if you ask most Canucks fans, they're still claiming he's been fantastic.

I wonder what it must feel like to be in that euphoric state of ignorance like those fans.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yet, if you ask most Canucks fans, they're still claiming he's been fantastic.

I wonder what it must feel like to be in that euphoric state of ignorance like those fans.

People around here were in that state about Perron for nearly a year after he started bombing. Everybody's vulnerable to sunk cost some of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad