Salary Cap: Penguins Trade Deadline Thread #66: We need more trade deadline snacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just know the moment Boeser does play well if he is traded here, he gets up to Crosby's line and it just irks me knowing that because it's true.

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Zucker, Malkin, Boeser
McGinn, Blueger, Carter
Aston-Reese, Boyle, Rodrigues

That's how I would do that line up.

Reactions: Allie Kitsune

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Domi is allegedly being traded by the deadline. I don't know if the cap can work there, but he may be an interesting name to add.
I still maintain that Domi wouldn't even be on anyone's radar is his last name wasn't Domi. :laugh:
I think I'd just rather see Hextall move Kapanen + POJ for Boeser and call it a day, it's what could most likely happen anyway.
Think this is where I'm at too. Give it a shot, that's realistically the best we're gonna get. If it doesn't work and we're out in the 1st or 2nd round again--which I think is likely regardless of whether we make any move or stand pat--then whatever.

Reactions: Pens x

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I just know the moment Boeser does play well if he is traded here, he gets up to Crosby's line and it just irks me knowing that because it's true.

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Zucker, Malkin, Boeser
McGinn, Blueger, Carter

Would you say Boeser is a James Neal type player? I've heard different descriptions.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I still maintain that Domi wouldn't even be on anyone's radar is his last name wasn't Domi. :laugh:

Think this is where I'm at too. Give it a shot, that's realistically the best we're gonna get. If it doesn't work and we're out in the 1st or 2nd round again--which I think is likely regardless of whether we make any move or stand pat--then whatever.
Yeah and why would Canucks do this? Mostly because they know they're not going to make much noise in the playoffs and if they can get assets for a winger that they can't even keep themselves, now, and make some playoff revenue, they're happy with that. They're seeing good from their current moves in head office (so far).

I don't see the Penguins moving Marino, unless they really think they can get Schenn from the Canucks and also a pick out of them which Hextall loves to do, always likes to squeeze a pick out of teams. It also gives the Penguins some cap flexibility - Moving Marino + Kapanen frees up cap next year to keep Boeser and Malkin and be a player for whatever they need to replace Letang and his future with Montreal.

Edit: And I think a Schenn replacement in this line up over Marino gives the Pens a different look on the blueline, Schenn can play defense and can mix it up, something our Blue line severely lacks, not the most ideal add but a strong enough add that it doesn't hurt us given our current defense. It'd also be the partner that balances Pettersson more than Marino has.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Zucker, Malkin, Boeser
McGinn, Blueger, Carter

No Heinen? Also you know TB is gona be line 4 center

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Zucker, Malkin, Boeser
Heinen, Carter, Rodrigues
DOC, Blueger, McGinn (This would be the real third line to me)
Boyle

Would be my line up.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah and why would Canucks do this? Mostly because they know they're not going to make much noise in the playoffs and if they can get assets for a winger that they can't even keep themselves, now, and make some playoff revenue, they're happy with that. They're seeing good from their current moves in head office (so far).

I don't see the Penguins moving Marino, unless they really think they can get Schenn from the Canucks and also a pick out of them which Hextall loves to do, always likes to squeeze a pick out of teams. It also gives the Penguins some cap flexibility - Moving Marino + Kapanen frees up cap next year to keep Boeser and Malkin and be a player for whatever they need to replace Letang and his future with Montreal.
I think other teams can be patient with Kap's endless prospect brain of constantly trying to figure things out and settle into a role. The Pens would probably be fine hanging onto him and trying to work with him if they weren't staring down one final run this season before a whole shitload of uncertainty and/or ugliness.

It's probably all pissing in this wind at this point. Word is the Canucks are intent on trying to make JT Miller a franchise pillar and handing him a deal that comes with that (high AAV, looooong term) and Boeser's a guy they're gonna try to keep around as well. I think that's why we've heard Garland chatter more recently--a guy I don't really have any desire to chase.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No Heinen? Also you know TB is gona be line 4 center

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Zucker, Malkin, Boeser
DOC, Blueger, McGinn (This would be the real third line to me)
Boyle

Would be my line up.
HOW THE f*** COULD I FORGET!!! 4pts in 15 games, we need more Heinen's!! Not less.

I would go:

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Zucker, Malkin, Boeser

For the top 6...the bottom 6?

McGinn, Blueger, Carter
Heinen, Boyle/Rodrigues, ZAR

Or...what has been used for the 4th line already and a change to the 3rd...

ZAR, Blueger, McGinn
Boyle/Simon sit - or you waive Simon and hope he passes for playoff depth.

I mean more this season than next. DOC isn't a bottom 6 player, I am not in favour of any usage of him on the 4th line, the 3rd line only if he's with Carter and E-Rod, sure, but not the 4th line unless it's Blueger + McGinn.

Boyle and ZAR or even Simon? No.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
HOW THE f*** COULD I FORGET!!! 4pts in 15 games, we need more Heinen's!! Not less.

I would go:

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Zucker, Malkin, Boeser

For the top 6...the bottom 6?

McGinn, Blueger, Carter
Heinen, Boyle/Rodrigues, ZAR

Or...what has been used for the 4th line already and a change to the 3rd...

ZAR, Blueger, McGinn
Boyle/Simon sit - or you waive Simon and hope he passes for playoff depth.

I mean more this season than next. DOC isn't a bottom 6 player, I am not in favour of any usage of him on the 4th line, the 3rd line only if he's with Carter and E-Rod, sure, but not the 4th line unless it's Blueger + McGinn.

Boyle and ZAR or even Simon? No.

Ya DOC isnt a 4th liner, but neither is TB or McGinn. I think DOC can bring more offense than ZAR with a loss at D. I would use Carter's line more in the dzone.

Erod/Boyle/Zar/Simon are 4th liners.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ya DOC isnt a 4th liner, but neither is TB or McGinn. I think DOC can bring more offense than ZAR with a loss at D. I would use Carter's line more in the dzone.

Erod/Boyle/Zar/Simon are 4th liners.
For me the 4th liner comment is more so against Boyle and Simon, that's just awful usage for O'Connor.

But with Blueger and McGinn? I'm on board. Aston-Reese really isn't that player we need so desperately as blokes here like to think we do, Blueger is a far better player and when he was out, the PK adjusted and the team was fine, the offense was the issue and the usual defensive lapses by the top 6 and defensemen.

But we have Rodrigues, Heinen, McGinn, Blueger, Boyle...how many more "defensive players" do we really need before it's even more obvious to blokes that the team system is shit and they need these types to make it less idiot proof and noticeable.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
For the record, I really don't think guys like DOC or Zoho or Puustinen are the answer to our depth scoring woes. But, at the same time, guys like Boyle, ZAR, Simon, Heinen, and even Kap are just f***ing turds, so give the young guys a shot. Legitimately cannot be worse than some of the vets we have taking up roster spots, and there's a chance--however minute it may be--that these kids end up surprising.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
For me the 4th liner comment is more so against Boyle and Simon, that's just awful usage for O'Connor.

But with Blueger and McGinn? I'm on board. Aston-Reese really isn't that player we need so desperately as blokes here like to think we do, Blueger is a far better player and when he was out, the PK adjusted and the team was fine, the offense was the issue and the usual defensive lapses by the top 6 and defensemen.

But we have Rodrigues, Heinen, McGinn, Blueger, Boyle...how many more "defensive players" do we really need before it's even more obvious to blokes that the team system is shit and they need these types to make it less idiot proof and noticeable.

If you get Boeser he takes Rust spot on the PP. Rust moves back to the PK.

Rust/Carter
TB/McGinn

Those are tremendous penalty killing tandems.

Then you still have Erod and Boyle/DOC

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Would you say Boeser is a James Neal type player? I've heard different descriptions.
Neal was more physical, the knock on Neal in Dallas was that he wasn't physical enough, then in Pittsburgh he would do stupid shit and cross the line, but he was more physical in his style than Boeser is. Boeser more of a scorer off the rush or if you see him in any spot in the offensive zone, T-up for a one timer.

I'd say he's more like a better playmaking Toffoli that is a little better at handling the physical game. A better goal scorer too, he's almost like a Guentzel lite in a weird way, hard to really elaborate unless you watch him more, Jake is on a different level now for sure, but both are also good mates and I'm sure that would help him a ton too.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
For the record, I really don't think guys like DOC or Zoho or Puustinen are the answer to our depth scoring woes. But, at the same time, guys like Boyle, ZAR, Simon, Heinen, and even Kap are just f***ing turds, so give the young guys a shot. Legitimately cannot be worse than some of the vets we have taking up roster spots, and there's a chance--however minute it may be--that these kids end up surprising.

Puustinen needs more time in the A. Zoho is a good bottom six player. DOC is the best out of the three right now and could definitely support some scoring depth.

The thing with DOC is you don't know to what extend yet. He started the season well then had health issues. He was also stapled to guys like Boyle and Simon for an extend period of time which didn't help him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I've seen a lot of Boeser, he's a passenger if I've ever seen one. I know Sullivan would despise him for being the floater that he is most of the time( lately anyway, I do like BB, so his stats are not as indicative of how he's been playing), could he be engaged here? Sure, but the way Pearson and others were utilized, do I think he's going to get that time to sort it out? Probably not.

Boeser has a fantastic shot, he doesn't really use his size much, if at all, isn't great defensively, and he's not someone that drives his line. He is a bloke that Malkin would have murdered with, 6yrs ago.

JT Miller is the one we all want, settling on Boeser or Garland isn't the move I would make, I would rather not make a move there at all in that case. When Boeser is engaged, he's fun to watch, he rifles shots like a mad man, but when he disappears, oh boy do you notice it because he's a top 6 player and those usually get enough minutes
geno still can pass with the best of them and add another guy to do the hard work so if boeser can find the holes and get open, there is a good chance he could work. but then i thought brass would be a great add so there's that.:shakehead

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Puustinen needs more time in the A. Zoho is a good bottom six player. DOC is the best out of the three right now and could definitely support some scoring depth.

The thing with DOC is you don't know to what extend yet. He started the season well then had health issues. He was also stapled to guys like Boyle and Simon for an extend period of time which didn't help him.
I think people overrate DOC because he had a pleasantly surprising first half dozen games. :laugh: Same with Zoho. I think they're 4th liners who could work up to being full time 3rd liners if they keep developing and improving, but under Sully, 4th liners are expected to be purely defensive grunts so I don't really see these guys having the opportunity to flourish or grow tbh.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think people overrate DOC because he had a pleasantly surprising first half dozen games. :laugh: Same with Zoho. I think they're 4th liners who could work up to being full time 3rd liners if they keep developing and improving, but under Sully, 4th liners are expected to be purely defensive grunts so I don't really see these guys having the opportunity to flourish or grow tbh.

DOC has been a PPG player since he entered the AHL. He has as many goals as simon and more than ZAR in half the games. I am not saying his son be some amazing NHL player. But I can guarantee he would provide more scoring depth than either of those two dweebs. Im not operating him. Those guys just suck that much.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
DOC has been a PPG player since he entered the AHL. He has as many goals as simon and more than ZAR in half the games. I am not saying his son be some amazing NHL player. But I can guarantee he would provide more scoring depth than either of those two dweebs. Im not operating him. Those guys just suck that much.
Lafferty came into the league and did well for himself over the course of his first month too. IMO, It's way too early to pretend like DOC's anything more than a nice, cheap 4th liner who brings youthful enthusiasm to the lineup. Which, to clarify, is more than enough reason to have him as a regular over a handful of guys we have now.

But anyone (not you specifically, just in general) who thinks DOC, or Zoho, or Puustinen is some unpolished gem waiting for their chance to shine is jumping the gun imo.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Lafferty came into the league and did well for himself over the course of his first month too. IMO, It's way too early to pretend like DOC's anything more than a nice, cheap 4th liner who brings youthful enthusiasm to the lineup. Which, to clarify, is more than enough reason to have him as a regular over a handful of guys we have now.

But anyone (not you specifically, just in general) who thinks DOC, or Zoho, or Puustinen is some unpolished gem waiting for their chance to shine is jumping the gun imo.

I agree with the later part but Lafferty was never as productive as DOC in the AHL. And DOC was a much better goal scorer in college. I think their is some more upside there. And TBH I liked Lafferty better than ZAR and Simon overall.

It is way to early to tell but not to early to try.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I agree with the later part but Lafferty was never as productive as DOC in the AHL. And DOC was a much better goal scorer in college. I think their is some more upside there. And TBH I liked Lafferty better than ZAR and Simon overall.

It is way to early to tell but not to early to try.
I don't know, man. The AHL is a shitshow and isn't a barometer as to whether or not a guy's success transitions to the NHL. I was talking to someone the other day around here about it; you got guys like Jeff Taffe, Chris Bourque, etc. who absolutely kill it for years in the AHL and are just absolute nobodies, not even reserve players, at this level. I'm not saying DOC or Zoho are those guys, but y'know.

Like I said, it doesn't matter. I can't really see Sully using them as anything but majority 4th liners until the roster is free of the constant ZARs, Simons, Boyles, Heinens, etc. And Sully's usage of 4th liners is a purely defensive, grunt role--i.e. not a whole lot of room to flourish and grow. Even in the case that these guys do produce at a decent clip relative to that kind of usage, that's not a ticket to upward mobility in the lineup. Blueger's evidence of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad