Salary Cap: Penguins Trade Deadline Thread #66: We need more trade deadline snacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm all for giving guys like DOC and Zoho a look. Maybe even POJ. I just don't think any of these guys are going to have anywhere close to the impact we all wish they did. But when the alternatives are guys who can't score more than a couple goals in like 30 game stretches, f*** it.

Can't really stand Sully and hope he's not part of the next chapter because I feel like he couldn't help but try and mold every prospect--regardless of talent or skillset--to be a "safe, boring" ZAR clone.

Reactions: Andy99 and Victor Z

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm all for giving guys like DOC and Zoho a look. Maybe even POJ. I just don't think any of these guys are going to have anywhere close to the impact we all wish they did. But when the alternatives are guys who can't score more than a couple goals in like 30 game stretches, f*** it.

Can't really stand Sully and hope he's not part of the next chapter because I feel like he couldn't help but try and mold every prospect--regardless of talent or skillset--to be a "safe, boring" ZAR clone.
Why give DoC a look on this roster right now? He's clearly better when he's with better players, but when he's been up he's been with Boyle and Simon. I would have loved to see O'Connor tried with Malkin for a few games, but I see they're trying to turn him into another Aston-Reese, which I mean...unfortunate. Zohorna is already being groomed into one. Puustinen showed skill but he needed to learn to knock that sort of thing off, focus on defense first and only, the prototype is ZAR, these blokes need to show some stick-to-itiveness with that or our insanely good coach, won't give them a shot they don't deserve.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Why give DoC a look on this roster right now? He's clearly better when he's with better players, but when he's been up he's been with Boyle and Simon. I would have loved to see O'Connor tried with Malkin for a few games, but I see they're trying to turn him into another Aston-Reese, which I mean...unfortunate. Zohorna is already being groomed into one. Puustinen showed skill but he needed to learn to knock that sort of thing off, focus on defense first and only, the prototype is ZAR, these blokes need to show some stick-to-itiveness with that or our insanely good coach, won't give them a shot they don't deserve.
All my ideas are in that weird, fantasy land vacuum of Sully not being in charge. I'd like to see a bottom-6 of something like Zucker-Blueger-Carter and A 4th line that's some combination of Puustinen, Zoho, DOC and E-Rod. But that's never gonna happen, so it's pointless to even think about. :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

I think next year, especially for the cap our bottom 6 should consist like:

Zohorna-Carter-?
DOC-Blue-McGinn

Gotta utilize some entry level guys to afford others and I think both guys would be decent players.

No need for giving raises to Heinen/ERod. Drop Simon/ZAR
Heck, resign Boyle again for minimum as 13F

Then figure out is Zucker staying as 2LW? Does Kap get traded and who plays 2RW.

Also assuming we see back Geno and Rust.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I also question if it even works this year bringing in a scoring talent to the top six. How many times have we seen top six fixes just eat dirt in the playoffs.
The last time a team made a major move at the deadline and then won the Cup was Los Angeles in 2014 when they added Marian Gaborik. Every winner since then has added depth at the deadline.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The last time a team made a major move at the deadline and then won the Cup was Los Angeles in 2014 when they added Marian Gaborik. Every winner since then has added depth at the deadline.
I think Coleman is decently major move. It’s only not classified as that because Tampa was already so deep.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
All my ideas are in that weird, fantasy land vacuum of Sully not being in charge. I'd like to see a bottom-6 of something like Zucker-Blueger-Carter and A 4th line that's some combination of Puustinen, Zoho, DOC and E-Rod. But that's never gonna happen, so it's pointless to even think about. :laugh:
I like Carter, but I don't really know if I like the idea of him being here for another season. I just think it muddles things and blocks a lot of progression for Blueger and stuffing him into a 4th line role while Carter is here is just disrespectful to him and his abilities to me.

Last edited:

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I do not think Boeser has the value Canucks fans think, and I’d bet Rutherford is interested in KK, but I don’t see why they’d want partial futures (Kap + a pick or prospect) if they still think they have a shot this year.

Dude is very expensive and, lately, has relied heavily on the PP for his goals.
Ive been saying it for a little here. Boeser disappears at times and relies heavily on shot volume. He would be one of our better wingers obviously but I think many would be a little disappointed. He comes with a hefty cost.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Zohorna-Carter-?
DOC-Blue-McGinn

Gotta utilize some entry level guys to afford others and I think both guys would be decent players.

Then figure out is Zucker staying as 2LW? Does Kap get traded and who plays 2RW.

We're gonna lose a significant player one way or another. Either Rust or Letang walk, that's basically near 100% certainty at this point. We may lose both because I feel like Letang's gonna be more tempted to test FA the closer we get to July 1st without a new deal in place--and at this point, I'm not even sure I want to see him sign a new deal. He's been pretty awful for this last little stretch of games, and I know he's not this bad, but he's definitely not gonna be getting any better as time marches on. /shrug

This is the last year when anything really matters, and I don't even think the team's anything but an extreme long-shot to compete with the better teams in the league.

If we're not gonna give the young kids time to see what we've got now, with the playoffs secured, I highly doubt we will next season when we're probably gonna be fighting tooth and nail to remain any sorta relevant without Rust and/or Letang.

I like Carter, but I don't really know if I like the idea of him being here for another season. I just think it muddles things and blocks a lot of progression for Blueger and stuffing him into a 4th like role while Carter is here is just disrespectful to him and his abilities to me.
Agree, but I think we're kinda fooling ourselves with all the Blueger upward progression stuff. He's a 4C to Sully, and that's basically the end of the story. :laugh: Would be neat to see if he had another level though, y'know, just for fun. Give him some non-ZAR/Simon/Boyle linemates, maybe some *gasp* non-defensive zone starts. I'm no Blueger fanboy or anything, but with the era winding down, it'd be nice to see if we have a long-term 3C or if the coach will stubbornly keep him at 4C for eternity.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm too lazy to quote everyone who responded to me. I agree it's not terrible to pickup Boeser if you think Rust is gone, although I'm struggling to picture why we'd let Rust walk to sign Boeser. Boeser ain't gonna be much if any cheaper.

Given my druthers though, I'd prefer to pick up a winger who excels five on five. The powerplay unit we have is fine. Moreover, unless we're bringing in like Alex Ovechkin or something I doubt Sully would change up that 5some unit anyways even if we did pick up a talented winger. So the guy really needs to be able to play 5v5 for me.

Reactions: Tender Rip

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Just get a back up for Jarry.
There’s nothing out there that’s going to drastically improve this team for an all in run.
At this point, does it matter? If Jarry's not healthy and playing at the top of his game, no backup available is gonna bail the team out.

I was on the "find a backup" train too, but thinking about it, I'm not sure it really matters. This team's gonna live and die by GCR and Jarry.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
At this point, does it matter? If Jarry's not healthy and playing at the top of his game, no backup available is gonna bail the team out.

I was on the "find a backup" train too, but thinking about it, I'm not sure it really matters. This team's gonna live and die by GCR and Jarry.

You’re probably right but that’s all I got.
I’d rather not watch another first round exit.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars

:thumbu: I'm here too. At this point, its too late. Not going to be using the backup too much. Jarry is our ride or die.

New backup for next season goes on the offseason to do list.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You’re probably right but that’s all I got.
I’d rather not watch another first round exit.
I can't imagine the big guns fail to show up in a meaningful way for the 4th year in a row. I wouldn't be shocked, but like, these guys don't flat out f***ing suck at hockey yet. Avoiding Trotz/Isles may be cool, but we're shaping up to face the runaway Vezina winner and (imo) the guy who should win the Hart in a landslide--oh, and that team's got Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider and Fox. :laugh: All pretty dangerous weapons who can hurt you any shift they're on the ice.

I'd be disappointed to see the team wilt again for the 4th year in a row, but I wouldn't be surprised. Even if we get past the 1st round, this team's got no chance at competing with the Floridas or Tampas, and would probably have a hell of a time with Carolina.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Zohorna-Carter-?
DOC-Blue-McGinn

I think you have it wrong mate, we only have success if we roll the following.

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Heinen, Malkin, Rodrigues
Zucker, Carter, Simon
Aston-Reese, Blueger, McGinn
Kapanen

Matheson, Ruhwedel
Friedman, Marino
Pettersson, Reinke

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm too lazy to quote everyone who responded to me. I agree it's not terrible to pickup Boeser if you think Rust is gone, although I'm struggling to picture why we'd let Rust walk to sign Boeser. Boeser ain't gonna be much if any cheaper.

Given my druthers though, I'd prefer to pick up a winger who excels five on five. The powerplay unit we have is fine. Moreover, unless we're bringing in like Alex Ovechkin or something I doubt Sully would change up that 5some unit anyways even if we did pick up a talented winger. So the guy really needs to be able to play 5v5 for me.

Because Boeser is significantly younger and his deal would have no risk of age related drop-off.

Also Boeser's 5v5 numbers the last four seasons before this have looked pretty solid.

Although tbh, if you're giving up Kapanen to make it work, and can move Zucker, I see no reason not to have both.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think you have it wrong mate, we only have success if we roll the following.

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Heinen, Malkin, Rodrigues
Zucker, Carter, Simon
Aston-Reese, Blueger, McGinn
Kapanen

Matheson, Ruhwedel
Friedman, Marino
Pettersson, Reinke
Good on you for having the blissful imagination to think Zucker-Kap won't be flanking Geno the second our significant deadline addition returns to the lineup. :laugh: :cry:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Because Boeser is significantly younger and his deal would have no risk of age related drop-off.

Also Boeser's 5v5 numbers the last four seasons before this have looked pretty solid.

Although tbh, if you're giving up Kapanen to make it work, and can move Zucker, I see no reason not to have both.
I've seen a lot of Boeser, he's a passenger if I've ever seen one. I know Sullivan would despise him for being the floater that he is most of the time( lately anyway, I do like BB, so his stats are not as indicative of how he's been playing), could he be engaged here? Sure, but the way Pearson and others were utilized, do I think he's going to get that time to sort it out? Probably not. This isn't like Justin Schultz to casually played here and there when he was brought in and then was a regular the next year after the RFA non-qualifying to sign a friendlier deal thing JR pulled.

Boeser has a fantastic shot, he doesn't really use his size much, if at all, isn't great defensively, and he's not someone that drives his line. He is a bloke that Malkin would have murdered with, 6yrs ago. Garland makes more sense because he plays a grittier game in the size of a grade 6 kid. But it'd be another small player that will get murdered in a series against the Capitals or really, anyone with how teams play the penguins. Again, it has little to do with how he handles teams now vs how teams handle the Penguins - there's a hate there to shove it down the Pens throat to humble them and make their mark as a contender in doing so.

JT Miller is the one we all want, settling on Boeser or Garland isn't the move I would make, I would rather not make a move there at all in that case. When Boeser is engaged, he's fun to watch, he rifles shots like a mad man, but when he disappears, oh boy do you notice it because he's a top 6 player and those usually get enough minutes to make you remember they're being useless.

The thing is I do like Boeser, I think he could work, but it'd need to be something that would require patience. I would like to see a Heinen-Malkin-Boeser line, or rather Zucker there because Heinen kind of sucks at consistency, a lot.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We're gonna lose a significant player one way or another. Either Rust or Letang walk, that's basically near 100% certainty at this point. We may lose both because I feel like Letang's gonna be more tempted to test FA the closer we get to July 1st without a new deal in place--and at this point, I'm not even sure I want to see him sign a new deal. He's been pretty awful for this last little stretch of games, and I know he's not this bad, but he's definitely not gonna be getting any better as time marches on. /shrug

This is the last year when anything really matters, and I don't even think the team's anything but an extreme long-shot to compete with the better teams in the league.

If we're not gonna give the young kids time to see what we've got now, with the playoffs secured, I highly doubt we will next season when we're probably gonna be fighting tooth and nail to remain any sorta relevant without Rust and/or Letang.

Agree, but I think we're kinda fooling ourselves with all the Blueger upward progression stuff. He's a 4C to Sully, and that's basically the end of the story. :laugh: Would be neat to see if he had another level though, y'know, just for fun. Give him some non-ZAR/Simon/Boyle linemates, maybe some *gasp* non-defensive zone starts. I'm no Blueger fanboy or anything, but with the era winding down, it'd be nice to see if we have a long-term 3C or if the coach will stubbornly keep him at 4C for eternity.
Blueger has proven he can produce when he's not destroyed with heavy DZone starts and the offensive black hole that is ZAR.

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad