Speculation: Penguins to get new jerseys for 2016-2017 season (starting with home playoff games)

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
This color scheme:
5.jpg

Got some info today. That picture quoted will be the jersey set next season. The yellow 3rd will feature yellow helmets.

1409676260909.jpg

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Nice.. I like it.. I think they should use the original Vegas gold color scheme as a 3rd though. I liked the gold, I don't like the taupe.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I never understood the obsession with these. Dull template + white shoulder yokes? No thanks.

Penguins_Jerseys_by_Tweed.jpg

Very much like these new variations of jerseys. I especially like the renditions which have the old circular Pittsburgh logos. I feel that was the main allure of the Powder blue jerseys from the initial Winter Classic. It looks very sharp with the white and black. The only thing that might be bothersome is the shoulder patch which is very similar to Boston's.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
****ing awesome news! I hope they tear out the Vegas gold seats and make em yellow.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yellow helmets would be cool. Wish they'd design something new than just rehashing 80s and 90s stuff though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
here's the obvious choice

TJ25452.jpg

ps: does anyone know of a way I could actually get that made? Even just a T-shirt version?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Yellow helmets would be cool. Wish they'd design something new than just rehashing 80s and 90s stuff though.
That's true, but you could argue that they never should have changed from those in the first place. I mean, we've been treading water with Robot Pigeon or Vegas Gold or Baby Blues trying to find a new identity for over 20 years and nothing has really stuck.

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
as long as they return to rightful Pittsburgh black & yellow i'm happy.

as for the 'vegas' gold seats at CEC - 42 years of fans sitting in mostly flyer colored seats didn't matter. it'll be ok...

FDR

Apr 27, 2015
Love the jersey. Not a fan of the helmet. A bit too tacky.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That's true, but you could argue that they never should have changed from those in the first place. I mean, we've been treading water with Robot Pigeon or Vegas Gold or Baby Blues trying to find a new identity for over 20 years and nothing has really stuck.

As long as the logo remains constant I don't mind adjustments to the jersey itself.

You can design a brand new jersey template that still retains classic elements reminiscent of the 80s and 90s. I think those jerseys above in this page that Saints11 quoted do just that.

The Penguins just seem to be playing it cheap/lazy. They didn't bother with the Edge design, all their 3rds have been old jerseys rehashed, and now they're doing it again. We haven't seen an original design since what, 2003?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I feel similar to clefty. They have shown that they can't produce a good, new design ( imo), so it makes sense to go back to a winner.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Bah the logos and jerseys play it too.safe now. Give me some out of the box stuff like the Mcfarlane oiler jersey or the coyote.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
please play it safe with the logo at least. Unless, of course, Jean-Claude Van Damme is really on the table as an option :laugh:

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah the logo is fine even though I never minded the robo pigeon either. I'm normally a minimalist but it just seems every team went with xyz contrast color with the circular logo. I get that there are only so many colors and you have to consider them for ease of viewing though.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Next season as in 15-16?

15-16 is this year. 16-17 is next year. And yes.

Remember next year is the Penguins 50th anniversary as well.

EDIT: The Pens could be looking at a Stadium Series game to debut another jersey. It likely won't be the Pens-Flyers at PSU (for a ton of logistical reasons that they can't get around) but probably Pens-Isles at PNC. They will be a 'new' jersey design rather than a throwback.

Last edited:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Oh ffs. Lets just jump back in the time machine and rehash an old jersey because it sells and makes more money and we're too lazy and cheap to come up with anything fresh.

This team has zero originality anymore. You mean to tell me they couldn't come up with one single new uniform design to replace that garbage Edge? I'm all for going back the Pittsburgh Black/Gold and definitely keep the current logo but sorry I already lived the 80's/early 90's once. Keep the current 3rd's as just that.

There have been some really good designs including on this board that should be looked at before just falling back on a relic.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Oh ffs. Lets just jump back in the time machine and rehash an old jersey because it sells and makes more money and we're too lazy and cheap to come up with anything fresh.

This team has zero originality anymore. You mean to tell me they couldn't come up with one single new uniform design to replace that garbage Edge? I'm all for going back the Pittsburgh Black/Gold and definitely keep the current logo but sorry I already lived the 80's/early 90's once. Keep the current 3rd's as just that.

There have been some really good designs including on this board that should be looked at before just falling back on a relic.

I dunno I kinda like how Detroit has stayed pretty much the same for decades. If it's a great design, keep it. Don't do something new just for the hell of it.

Going back to what we should have never changed makes sense to me.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I dunno I kinda like how Detroit has stayed pretty much the same for decades. If it's a great design, keep it. Don't do something new just for the hell of it.

Going back to what we should have never changed makes sense to me.

Bingo. I see no reason to re-invent the wheel every few years when there was a design that already nailed it and never should have been moved away from to begin with.

I wouldn't be against most of those examples on the previous page, but the 80s/early 90s look nailed it and never should have been done away with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad