Speculation: Penguins to get new jerseys for 2016-2017 season (starting with home playoff games)

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I am assuming / hoping they will go with the 3rds full time and make a white/away in the same style, but preparing to be disappointed.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't really like the idea of our current 3rds becoming our regular jerseys because they're just a re-hash of the early 90s design. Come up with something new. Nothing lazier than just re-using an old style.

Remember those home and aways someone made themselves and posted here a while ago, that had stripes and the aways were white with black rounded shoulders and yellow accents? Those were badass. We need that. Early 90s yellow, skating Penguin, horizontal stripes, and a black/white dominant away jersey.

Not against a diagonal lettering style as a new 3rd.

Also, we should do some variation of the city's coat of arms as a shoulder patch:

2000px-Pittsburgh_city_coat_of_arms.svg.png

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Going back to a fan favorite classic is always better than going with new for the sake of new. The Sabres, Isles, and Oilers were all wise to do it. Hopefully the Flames eventually follow suit.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Bring in a new design as the alternate and use what is proven to work as primaries.

We should go the route that the Isles and Oilers...doing what the Sabres thing would be trying to appease both sides while actually just annoying both (stupid piping and front numbers...still way better than what they've worn since they ditched the original look, but the original look pops way better than what they use now)...what we've been doing for years instead is having ungodly bland regular uniforms and beautiful throwbacks (and one mixed-bag fauxback) as the alternates.

Hell, I could almost tolerate the abortion that was the pigeon if it was something I'd only have to see 12 times a year...I'd rather that thing be completely forgotten about and have the ability to hit people who like it with a wooden spoon, but compromises and what not. The best look should be the one worn the most, and it's hard to find people who don't think the 1980-92 look was easily our best.

Thankfully for me the owner of the team may be the only person who hates robopigeon more than me, but Mario won't be around forever.

Last edited:

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I loved the Vegas gold when it came out because it was such a vast improvement over the ridiculous asymmetrical sublimated monstrosities that were our original 3rds. Plus the original vegas gold used on the triangle jersey was actually gold - not this khaki looking baby turd color they wear now.

While I'd be ecstatic to have our 80's unis back, I designed this a while back and like to trot it out anytime there's a jersey thread. it's a simplified version of our original jersey striping pattern (5 stripes) also used on our second Winter Classic jersey. But this has our 80s color palette and logo.

The problem with any jersey design with shoulder yolks is that it makes us look too much like Boston.

newPens5alt.jpg

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The color palette is the biggest thing right now...I liked the vegas gold up until the switch to RBK's Edge ********...it completely changed the material and they simply can't make it shine like the old version did...and the result is that it's just a flat beige rather than a popping shiny gold.

Considering Adidas owns RBK I don't expect anything would be different if we kept the same look.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Where are Tweed's mock ups from a few years ago?

I'd go with the current 3rds as home jerseys, a white version as away, and one of Tweed's variations for the new alternate.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I love our current thirds. I would love a yellow road version, too. The problem would be when we played the Preds, who have yellow at home! Now THAT would be fun!

:laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Definitely make the current alternate the regular home. Use a similar white version for away games. And bring back a version of this bad boy (the jersey, not the hair style):

Jagrs.jpg

Agreed...except I want EVERYTHING in that picture back. Everything.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I never understood the obsession with these. Dull template + white shoulder yokes? No thanks.

Penguins_Jerseys_by_Tweed.jpg

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I like those as well.

Realistically they probably will just go with the current thirds, which is fine by me. Its lazy, sure, but they know its popular, and adding a white version is essentially addidintg a new sweater, and they know it will sell. they can, and should, experiment with new alternates though.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I don't really like the idea of our current 3rds becoming our regular jerseys because they're just a re-hash of the early 90s design. Come up with something new. Nothing lazier than just re-using an old style.

Remember those home and aways someone made themselves and posted here a while ago, that had stripes and the aways were white with black rounded shoulders and yellow accents? Those were badass. We need that. Early 90s yellow, skating Penguin, horizontal stripes, and a black/white dominant away jersey.

Not against a diagonal lettering style as a new 3rd.

Also, we should do some variation of the city's coat of arms as a shoulder patch:

2000px-Pittsburgh_city_coat_of_arms.svg.png

It would be neat to use the outline of that badge instead of the diagonal around the "Skating Penguin"

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I love the city emblem as a potential patch, but the Penguins having the golden triangle incorporated into the logo is something that's been around since day one and needs to remain as long as the franchise does in my book. It just works too well that even the ****ing robopigeon used it.

It definitely works better as the background for the logo than as a shoulder yoke...I want to say I'm baffled the Penguins tried that after the Steelers proved it didn't work decades beforehand, but...Howard Baldwin.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
At this point I'm looking forward to hopefully getting a new coach by then more than I am with getting new jerseys. :laugh:

What's the point in looking awesome if we suck? :laugh:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
^ Yeah, wow. Those are actually fantastic. They have that real "fauxback" appeal with the shoulders, akin to Boston's current unis. I dont even mind the tan/gold one's in the first row.

And I know it makes me a parriah, but I actually dont hate Robopenguin. I guess because of its association with a pretty successful era. While I dont want to see it become a main logo again, I actually didnt mind when it was a Secondary/shoulder logo on the lockout-era jerseys.

(runs for cover)

But I actually would love to see them do something with the city logo. Nashville had a couple of pretty slick examples that integrated some element of civic design into their logo:

4c46941961d762a71d676a12e1ea2d9f.jpg
nashville-predators-alt_480.jpg

Something similar to these adapted from the Pitt Coat of Arms would be magnificent.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Stephen S with a nice illustration of what we're probably looking at for next season:

CROSBY_TA.jpg

FDR

Apr 27, 2015
I'm personally a fan of the 07-08 style but with the black and gold color scheme instead of the terrible cream or whatever it is.

This style:
8.jpg

This color scheme:
5.jpg

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I am almost certain they're bringing back Pittsburgh Gold full time given that they've been wearing that jersey to all off the ice events/promotions this season.

Maybe they phase out the Vegas Gold slowly by using the color scheme on a modified template as the Alternate for a while?

I'm sure ready for the white jerseys to be updated more than anything. Those things are so bland and ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad