Post-Game Talk: Penguins team "coming in peace" Pens - 0 , Stars - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Can anyone explain to me the fear of putting a skilled guy with sid? He looked his best with megna yet it only gets tried for a shift or 2 yet some scrub like kobasew stays there most of the game...:help:

The same fear of putting a guy who can retrieve a puck with Geno.

It's not fear, actually. It's a fundamental lack of understanding on behalf of a coach as to the type of help both of his stars lack on their respective lines.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
The way the Stars played against us reminded me of how the Bruins played against us in the playoffs and how I expect whoever knocks the Pens out this year to play against us (unless we go the total choke job route again) . . .

Sid lacks a winger who can create/exploit a little space, so he gets collapsed upon. Geno lacks a puck retriever, so he sees dumping it as 'wasting' a possession because nobody will get it when he does.

Yep, and even Errey mentioned it once so you know it's obvious. Dallas was skating two people toward Malkin and Sid every time they crossed the blue line, especially Sid. Neal and Jokinen were able to skate it into the zone a few times each, but Sid just has no one to carry the puck, that's just not Kunitz's game at all, he's easily our worst puck carrier out of the "good" players we have.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Pretty easy to see coming.

- No Deprese, no Engo, and no Bortz = loss

Pens were manhandled and hopefully they learn that you can't ice a team with Glass as the only guy capable of throwing a solid check, Brooks is capable but he looks like he's tired of getting attacked for throwing checks and has decided its not worth his effort. Kunitz played his typical physical style but he shouldn't be counted on to do more than half of the heavy lifting.

Chucky, Sutter and Ebbet are pathetically useless when things get nasty. I could probably add to the list but these three are the opposite of physical.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
there is something about our inability or our system to have our d-man help maintain some offensive zone time, to counter back when the other team push back, that's what worries me, not the loss or points, or whatever, but such an obvious blueprint for any team that has strong forwards that can pin us down. We have not had way to respond to this kind of game now in few years..

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Come on, those two just need to play better. They are so good they don't need to be put in a position to succeed, that's crazy talk.

Sorry . . .

You know, the lesson Ray Shero learned in 2009 was the worst thing that could happen long term. The Pens took the three **** defensive teams in the East, avoided Boston and NJ, and then got Detroit with Datsyuk hurt (Filpula on Malkin was big advantage Malkin, and the advantage trickled down to Staal). It led him to believe that Sid and Geno could make due with less always, rather than what it should have led him to believe . . . Sid and Geno can make due with less under less taxing circumstances. The last four years have borne that distinction out.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The odds of Orpik and/or Adams being a healthy scratch would be no worse. ;)

BTW, there is a third option . . . to WASH, to RINSE, to REPEAT, to do it again and again THE SHERO WAY.

The best option's clearly to fire the coach. No other contender's coach does the things he does, I assume. If only Bylsma were gone, the things that bother me about the team would certainly change.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
if i were the coach, i'd say something to the effect of "You should all be embarrassed. There's nothing tough about this team and you should all be ashamed of yourselves. Glass, you get our game puck. Savor that flavor for a while. Good ****ing night, everyone. Bag skate tomorrow at 6 am."

They'll get tomorrow off and then beat up on buffalo.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yep, and even Errey mentioned it once so you know it's obvious. Dallas was skating two people toward Malkin and Sid every time they crossed the blue line, especially Sid. Neal and Jokinen were able to skate it into the zone a few times each, but Sid just has no one to carry the puck, that's just not Kunitz's game at all, he's easily our worst puck carrier out of the "good" players we have.

I know.

It's why I still marvel about Talbot in 2009. Talbot wasn't better than Sykora. Not better than Jokinen now. BUT, Geno believed Talbot could get the puck if he made the safe play.

There's nothing that he-- Sid too-- hates more than wasting a possession.

It's all so frustrating. I get why they do what they do. I'm not excusing it. But, I get it. You're set up to fail, but you're so proud and so competitive that you try to overcome the odds anyway, and then you meet a team in the playoffs that does what the Stars did tonight, and the wheels just come off.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I can't even blame the pens for this game.

Im just going to credit the stars, this game reminded me of the playoff series against the Sens when the pens lost in 5, it seemed like the Stars had 6 players on the ice for the entire game.

BTW our depth is really really bad, pens would be screwed if they played in the west this year, pens have Glass/Kobasew/Pyatt/Megna on there first line, stars have Chiasson on there 4th line and can't even make the playoffs.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I was always 'meh' on the whole thing with the young guys not getting a chance. I think a lot of people here have a weird obsession with our young guys, but the one that really tipped the scales for me was Megna. They brought him up originally, he scored 2 goals in 3 games I think, then he was sent down. Kind of a roundabout way to say I agree with you, but you know what I mean.

I was the same way, but more because I knew all those "prospects" sucked. I figured the staff saw it the same way, and did the right thing by not giving them chances because frankly, they hadn't earned them.

Megna has speed, he has really good hands and vision, and the most surprising of all he really drives the net hard. He's what these morons think DUPUIS is.

Be that as it may, you'd think they want to replace Dupuis the guy who's playing style and speed best matches him. But no, it's Kobasew and Pyatt and EVERYONE but Megna.

I'm so ****ing sick and tired of this dog and pony smokeshow. Montreal media would be hammering these morons with poignant questions about lineup decisions, but God forbid they chance getting their press passes revoked.

They're sucking the fun out of hockey for me. I watched the LA/Ducks game after the Isles game the other day, and it quickly reminded me of why it's the best sport in the world.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
The same fear of putting a guy who can retrieve a puck with Geno.

It's not fear, actually. It's a fundamental lack of understanding on behalf of a coach as to the type of help both of his stars lack on their respective lines.

Sorry maybe fear wasn't the correct term haha, maybe I should have used stubbornness or arrogance, terms that are much more appropriate for this particular coach :sarcasm:

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Can anyone explain to me the fear of putting a skilled guy with sid? He looked his best with megna yet it only gets tried for a shift or 2 yet some scrub like kobasew stays there most of the game...:help:

First, Bylsma & co don't trust Megna to log the long minutes or in the defensive end. Neither of which is totally unreasonable from an outside perspective. Second, Bylsma & co trust veterans over younger players which also is not totally unreasonable to a certain point. None of these make sense when you compare Megna to Kobasew, Adams, etc.

This game Glass moved to the first line to either add some energy and physicality or to protect Crosby. However, most importantly, if Bylsma moves Megna to Sid's line, he is stuck with some of the slowest bottom lines which also are offensively incapable and defensively suspect. Poor Sutter ends up with Pyatt and Kobasew or maybe Glass, and the bottom line is Adams-Ebbett-Glass. Megna at least provides some spark of speed and offensive talent.

At least this game, Megna logged more minutes than Adams, Glass, Ebbett, Kobasew, and Pyatt.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
The best option's clearly to fire the coach. No other contender's coach does the things he does, I assume. If only Bylsma were gone, the things that bother me about the team would certainly change.

Won't happen this season. My belief to save this season is to move Fleury and acquire Ryan Miller to shake up that Dressing Room and I do believe Miller is poised to take a team to the Finals.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumty
And as we all know, we dont have that kind of coach. You know, smart.
But some NHL players voted

Sry for copying, but just wanted to ask.

Im pretty sure those players are trolling our coach :nod:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Exactly like the Q situation, IMO. Ray just needs to be patient. :sarcasm:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
it is unfair that all teams that play Pens bring their A game, should not do that...

They don't bring their A game all that much, but they try because they are up against the best players in the NHL, and they are up against the top team in the East. They also know that the best way to beat them is to play them hard and let them lose their heads. It's worked for years, just surprised we don't see it happen every game. Play the Pens HARD and you will easily beat them.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Ironically, the change in players from callups to vets has brought about the return of the ****show lack of structure hockey. This coming from a non-DB supporter.

Thats really the issue. The Pens play way too much time in their own end. Countless times a vet D will throw the puck north fast and it gets picked off resulting in sustained offensive pressure from the opponent.
When they aren't doing that, they're trying to freeze pucks along the boards and losing that battle with a heavy opposing forecheck.

The prospects atleast had the basics down. They could go D to D and back to relieve pressure and work the puck up ice as a unit. The forwards, since the vet D have returned, are back to shooting the zone again. Thats not adding the fact that some of the vet D's defensive coverage has been worse than any prospect called up this year.

OT KISS are killin' it right now!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I was the same way, but more because I knew all those "prospects" sucked. I figured the staff saw it the same way, and did the right thing by not giving them chances because frankly, they hadn't earned them.

Megna has speed, he has really good hands and vision, and the most surprising of all he really drives the net hard. He's what these morons think DUPUIS is.

Be that as it may, you'd think they want to replace Dupuis the guy who's playing style and speed best matches him. But no, it's Kobasew and Pyatt and EVERYONE but Megna.

I'm so ****ing sick and tired of this dog and pony smokeshow. Montreal media would be hammering these morons with poignant questions about lineup decisions, but God forbid they chance getting their press passes revoked.

They're sucking the fun out of hockey for me. I watched the LA/Ducks game after the Isles game the other day, and it quickly reminded me of why it's the best sport in the world.

Megna got a fair amount of time tonight, including time with Sid. Christ, he got more time than Chiasson or Nichushkin.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I can't even blame the pens for this game.

Im just going to credit the stars, this game reminded me of the playoff series against the Sens when the pens lost in 5, it seemed like the Stars had 6 players on the ice for the entire game.

BTW our depth is really really bad, pens would be screwed if they played in the west this year, pens have Glass/Kobasew/Pyatt/Megna on there first line, stars have Chiasson on there 4th line and can't even make the playoffs.

Absolutely credit to the Stars. Not saying they didn't deserve to win, even if the Pens had played well.

But, what we witnessed from the Pens is what they always do when a team brings total discipline and structure against them and just completely focuses on taking away Sid and Geno and making someone else make a play.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Lets be real, Dallas took them to task and the Pens refused to play a simple game and turned the puck over.

The Stars did a great job of clogging up the neutral zone. It seemed like even if Pittsburgh wanted to just dump and chase they couldn't do it, they never figured out how to move the puck through the neutral zone at all against Dallas, even on the PP.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Sorry . . .

You know, the lesson Ray Shero learned in 2009 was the worst thing that could happen long term. The Pens took the three **** defensive teams in the East, avoided Boston and NJ, and then got Detroit with Datsyuk hurt (Filpula on Malkin was big advantage Malkin, and the advantage trickled down to Staal). It led him to believe that Sid and Geno could make due with less always, rather than what it should have led him to believe . . . Sid and Geno can make due with less under less taxing circumstances. The last four years have borne that distinction out.

They can make due with less until they run into that one hot goalie :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad