Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Matt Cooke without the borderline BS.

I don't like this comparison. Tanev is considerably faster, has better hockey IQ, a better shot, etc. Also, while Cooke would get physical, he never struck fear into the opponent for his physicality (more his cheap shots). Tanev is a guy you have to fear as a speedy offensive threat and a guy who will knock you on your ass if you don't keep your head up. I really don't think it's an apt comparison. My $0.02.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I will say that Tanev has been better and much more IMPORTANT than I expected. No qualms about his cap-hit anymore... I was wrong. He simply changes the feel of the team.

I am however happy that he gets to be transformative on the bottom 6 and not in the top 6 roles that some/many pencilled him in for being tried in. I am not sure anymore that he wouldn’t be effective there (also), but he is fabulous where he is played.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I will say that Tanev has been better and much more IMPORTANT than I expected. No qualms about his cap-hit anymore... I was wrong. He simply changes the feel of the team.

I am however happy that he gets to be transformative on the bottom 6 and not in the top 6 roles that some/many pencilled him in for being tried in. I am not sure anymore that he wouldn’t be effective there (also), but he is fabulous where he is played.

If Kahun is next to go down with injury, he's next in line for me to play with Malkin and Rust. Ideally, you want him playing his disruptive game and tilting the ice in a bottom six role, sure.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Meh I am pleased so far... they aren’t trying to play him too high in the lineup unless forced, and he is fantastic in the bottom six type role. Great pickup this far

Reactions: Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I never had an issue with the cap hit and I think there's still some risk that a guy that plays the way he does will still have the same effectiveness at 33 that he does at 28 but for one he doesn't have the miles on him that most 28 year olds do and second of all who cares.

The guy really plays at another level though in terms of just.. everything, and absolutely sets the tone for not only his line but I think every line. I can't wait to watch him drive other teams mad in a 7 game series.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I’m going to be absolutely shocked if Tanev doesn’t net at least 15 goals this year. Hell, I suspect he’ll be right around 20 by the time the postseason starts.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I’m not going back to re-read but I’m sure this thread is full of terrible posts from me :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't like this comparison. Tanev is considerably faster, has better hockey IQ, a better shot, etc. Also, while Cooke would get physical, he never struck fear into the opponent for his physicality (more his cheap shots). Tanev is a guy you have to fear as a speedy offensive threat and a guy who will knock you on your ass if you don't keep your head up. I really don't think it's an apt comparison. My $0.02.

I don't believe any of these are true at all, this is doing some hardcore revisionist history on Matt Cooke.

Cooke was a consistent 35 point player (per 82 games) that had good speed, hit everything that moved, killed penalties and produced well in the playoffs (21 points in 58 games for the Penguins). That's pretty much everything Tanev is, but Tanev is blazing fast instead of just fast like Cooke was.

Reactions: Jjbuck and radapex

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
i was...skeptical about that contract going to a guy who seemed to project as a bottom sixer, but i'll happily tip my hat and eat my delicious crow :laugh:

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Are you talking about the same Tanev and Cooke?

You may be the first person to ever call Tanev an offensive threat. He has a career high of 14g and 29 points. Matt Cooke surpassed this point total 7 times in his career.

While Tanev throws a lot of hits, I don't recall any that knock players on their butt. Cooke would blast guys, both legally and otherwise. He struck as much fear as anyone because no one wanted a flying elbow to their head.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Are you talking about the same Tanev and Cooke?

You may be the first person to ever call Tanev an offensive threat. He has a career high of 14g and 29 points. Matt Cooke surpassed this point total 7 times in his career.

While Tanev throws a lot of hits, I don't recall any that knock players on their butt. Cooke would blast guys, both legally and otherwise. He struck as much fear as anyone because no one wanted a flying elbow to their head.

One of the big differences with Cooke and Tanev so far in their career is their line mates. Cooke spent good portion of time playing on top line or in top 6 roles. He spent 1/2 of 03/04 season playing with Naslund and same with 04/05. His numbers should be higher just based from that. I am pretty sure that if Tanev got a chance to play with Geno or Sid, he would eclipse Cooke's best point season. Tanev is what Horni was when he got traded to pens. He played top line minutes and put up points. Tanev can be that guy with much more speed than Horni ever had. I personally would like to see what he can do with Sid when he comes back (or even Geno if Kahun doesnt work out). Sid and Horni worked well for long time when Horni was younger, so I dont see a reason why Sid and Tanev wouldnt work.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
One of the big differences with Cooke and Tanev so far in their career is their line mates. Cooke spent good portion of time playing on top line or in top 6 roles. He spent 1/2 of 03/04 season playing with Naslund and same with 04/05. His numbers should be higher just based from that. I am pretty sure that if Tanev got a chance to play with Geno or Sid, he would eclipse Cooke's best point season. Tanev is what Horni was when he got traded to pens. He played top line minutes and put up points. Tanev can be that guy with much more speed than Horni ever had. I personally would like to see what he can do with Sid when he comes back (or even Geno if Kahun doesnt work out). Sid and Horni worked well for long time when Horni was younger, so I dont see a reason why Sid and Tanev wouldnt work.
Tanev was a 4th liner for his entire career until we gave him a massive contract. Now he's a 3rd-4th liner.
Hornqvist was a top 6 guy throughout his entire career. There is literally no comparison between the 2.

Tanev is great and all, but he will never, EVER be a top 6 player. Nothing about his game says he can, or should, play in a scoring role.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Fordy

May 28, 2008
tanev's term will never be an issue, book it. he'll etiher be effective the entire time or easily moved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad