Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ill wait til post in this thread ...til April/May/June.... Tanev blocking shots off his helmet behind Murray with net wide open and such...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
HFboards and Pens X are in a class of their own
Bjugstad is a poor man’s Jordan Staal. He’s tall but he is one of the least physical players on the team. He’s a pretty crappy and slow skater. He’s white bread. I guarantee you JR is looking to upgrade the 3C.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
The thing about Bjugstad is that he gives a place for Horny to play away from Sid and Geno. That Simon-Bjugstad-Horny line had great numbers. Then the player who is not producing out of Jake, Rust, McCann, Chucky and Kahun can get their game back with Tanev and Teddy. I figure ZAR and AJ are 13 and 14F.

My thought was to play Horny with Tanev and Teddy, but I think giving the Simon-Bjugstad-Horny line a lit of chances to replicate their success is a much better idea.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The thing about Bjugstad is that he gives a place for Horny to play away from Sid and Geno. That Simon-Bjugstad-Horny line had great numbers. Then the player who is not producing out of Jake, Rust, McCann, Chucky and Kahun can get their game back with Tanev and Teddy. I figure ZAR and AJ are 13 and 14F.

My thought was to play Horny with Tanev and Teddy, but I think giving the Simon-Bjugstad-Horny line a lit of chances to replicate their success is a much better idea.

Guentzel - Crosby - Kahun
McCann - Malkin - Rust
Galchenyuk - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Simon - Blueger - Tanev

Is what I’d like to see.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I don’t like McCann on the fourth line. Bjugstad kind of sucks, so I’d prefer to keep him in the bottom six.
Sucks is pretty strong, he's a middle six kind of guy. But definitely agreed that he's best served in our bottom 6 and McCann should be played higher.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Guentzel - Crosby - Kahun
McCann - Malkin - Rust
Galchenyuk - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Simon - Blueger - Tanev

Is what I’d like to see.
That second line is what I've wanted Malkin to transition to, a two way center who plays with some defensively responsible wingers that can match up against anyone in the league and win.

But your third line is going to get caved unless you get it matchups.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sucks is pretty strong, he's a middle six kind of guy. But definitely agreed that he's best served in our bottom 6 and McCann should be played higher.
In my defense, I did say kind of sucks...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've been unimpressed by Bjugstad at times, enough to see where the frustration came from. Still, he's demonstrably better than Sutter or Brassard. If he can get back to his '17-18 form, then we're talking excellent 3C. I see a very similar situation at wing with Galchenyuk.

Yeah I think this is a great assessment.

I don't really have a problem with Bjugstad though I do understand why his name seems to come up a lot in a negative light. But if he can put it together next year (like Gally) he could be a huge benefit to this team at his position.

And I agree... he's already better in my eyes than both of the guys you mentioned. It would seem a little silly to me to go to these near-insane lengths to get a decent 3C on this team only to dump the guy for cap space.

But I'll change my tune quickly if they start plugging him in on like... Malkin's RW. That won't work.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah I think this is a great assessment.

I don't really have a problem with Bjugstad though I do understand why his name seems to come up a lot in a negative light. But if he can put it together next year (like Gally) he could be a huge benefit to this team at his position.

And I agree... he's already better in my eyes than both of the guys you mentioned. It would seem a little silly to me to go to these near-insane lengths to get a decent 3C on this team only to dump the guy for cap space.

But I'll change my tune quickly if they start plugging him in on like... Malkin's RW. That won't work.

Bjugstad actually reminds me of a tall Sutter TBH. I wasn't totally bent on Sutter, although I think he was one of those players that doesn't really do anything for anyone. Bjugstad seems to have some ability on being a leader on the 2nd PP and forechecking well.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I've been unimpressed by Bjugstad at times, enough to see where the frustration came from. Still, he's demonstrably better than Sutter or Brassard. If he can get back to his '17-18 form, then we're talking excellent 3C. I see a very similar situation at wing with Galchenyuk.
I’m not big on analytical stats but i remember reading how effective Bjugstad was at keeping the opposing team’s scoring chances down or something to that effect.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I’m not big on analytical stats but i remember reading how effective Bjugstad was at keeping the opposing team’s scoring chances down or something to that effect.
bugs seems to do the hard stuff well. it's the things that shouldn't be that hard (that should improve with practices.) that give him trouble. imo

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Keep coming back to his Modified-NTC. Of the similar players who signed this summer, only Ferland got a better NTC (NMC first 2 years, 10 teams then 8 teams in for the last 2 years. None of Dzingel, Connolly, Panik, Donskoi and Hagelin got any NTC/NMC.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Had a Bleacher report pop up that said Philadelphia signs Simmons to 170 million dollars. And had to double take because first I read that as Simmonds. Thought it was the Flyers but It was talking about the 76’ers... :laugh:

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A better thread to bump would be the first Tanev extension thread :laugh:

He's been Matt Cooke+ for the Penguins so far. A 40 point winger in a bottom-6 role who's a defensive speedster and hits everything that moves? That's downright incredible for $3.5 million.

Reactions: Borgir

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

He's been Matt Cooke+ for the Penguins so far. A 40 point winger in a bottom-6 role who's a defensive speedster and hits everything that moves? That's downright incredible for $3.5 million.

Imagine a Cooke-McCann-Tanev line? assuming we can bring back that Cooke.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

I doubt he hits 40 but regardless he’s worth every penny.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
My opinion hasn't changed one bit. I'm not surprised even a little with the player we're getting.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There "should" be a lot of poster ashamed looking at their posts in this thread. But so many are mouth breathers as it is so...

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad