Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I just think JR is a laughably bad negotiator with free agents. I like this player but did we really need to even come close to these years/AAV? Present him with 4/$9M and tell him to see what else is out there, but we want him here. If you have to go up later, go up. But I highly doubt anyone else was even in the same ballpark for this guy. Horrible.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
hahahahaha oh man. None of these numbers make sense. JR knows he's not going to be around for more than a year or two of this and he don't care.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I just...he’s a fourth line player on this team. This is so so so stupid. They basically have to move someone else now.

And this is gonna make next summer a mess too. It’s actually impressive how he made the same mistake in back to back summers.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Honestly, anything over two million per or over three years was unwise, this is crazy town!

Reactions: JackFr

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I like Tanev but if it's anywhere near three mil per this is a significant over payment. I can't imagine any other team even coming close to that term or AAV.
Totally agree. I also like the player. Would have loved a deal at 2.5 or less on 4 years or less. This is just a complete screw up. Good drafting and development can easily fill out the bottom six wings with guys that give you 90% of Tanev for 25% of the money.

Reactions: Ryder71

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
This is where, if JR had people around him that really cared, you start looking at brochures for Shady Acres retirement community.

Reactions: farscape1

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
So you give a guy 6 years to lower the cap hit, What was JR's opening offer?4 years @ 4.5 million?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
They'll probably use a compliance buy out on him in 3 years. That means we're likely stuck with JJ for the duration.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Tanev is only 27.

I will point out that Tanev has been steadily improving since turning pro, so I could see the Penguins thinking he's a new Hagelin. They're not signing a guy on the decline like they did with JJ, Tanev did have a good year last year. I hope people are able to separate the contract with the player when he plays here.

It's a 4th liner that plays a high energy style. It's not uncommon for those guys to mail it in once they get paid. You need to keep those kinds of players playing for their next contract, not sign them to core player term contracts. Just absolutely atrocious...again.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
It’s okay, guys, really. Tanev is a good bottom-6er. A really good one. We paid him about 1-1.5M too much, but it’s not at all the end of the world. He’s a truly useful asset who works his ass off. This isn’t JJ 2.0

And on the bright side, this pretty much guarantees that JJ is gone before season’s start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad