Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Sergei Plotnikov (1 year, $925k)

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So I literally just heard about this guy today and figured why not take him in my keeper league which is now in its 5th season and people thought it was dumb. Not asking for fantasy hockey advice or anything but whats the deal with this guy? Is he supposed to be good or just a decent bottom six filler? Is he a threat offensively? What's so good about him that Malkin pushed so hard for him to be signed? Just curious, like I said not asking for fantasy advice, just thought I'd mention that while getting the scoop on this guy. Either way getting him for just under $1M for a year surely wasn't a bad move.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So I literally just heard about this guy today and figured why not take him in my keeper league which is now in its 5th season and people thought it was dumb. Not asking for fantasy hockey advice or anything but whats the deal with this guy? Is he supposed to be good or just a decent bottom six filler? Is he a threat offensively? What's so good about him that Malkin pushed so hard for him to be signed? Just curious, like I said not asking for fantasy advice, just thought I'd mention that while getting the scoop on this guy. Either way getting him for just under $1M for a year surely wasn't a bad move.

Why would you pick Plot for a keeper league?:laugh:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
We really don't know exactly what he's going to be yet. We know he's a big body that likes to go to the net and throw his weight around, but that's about it. Its going to take more games as he gets acclimated to the NHL to better judge what he can do.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Haha there wasn't too much else on the board so I figured why not take a risk? But yeah I'm kinda regretting it now and hoping he really pans out for you guys haha. I heard he has potential to be good and I read on sportsnet he could be a good sleeper pick. This is where I heard about him: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/fantasy-hockey-a-sleeper-pick-for-each-postion/

I know nothing about fantasy hockey -- how scoring works, and such, so I can't tell you if he's a good pickup for a keeper league, or not. What I can tell you is that it looks like he could possibly end up as a "third wheel" on one of the top two lines at some point. Not necessarily because he has great hands/scoring instincts, but because he's big, seems to be able to skate, has at least some skill with the puck on his stick, and looks to play a somewhat "heavy" game -- i.e. he may eventually prove to be a fairly good complement to a skilled scoring line. My early assessment on him is that he's probably more likely to be a good third-liner, but given the amount of skill we have available for our top two lines, he could end up being used as a complementary winger there. And, if he does end up there, he'll of course put up a decent number of points; it's obviously hard not to accumulate some numbers, if you have decent skill and are playing alongside Crosby or Malkin.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I said right after the signing, he's a 3rd liner in the NHL. But he's that kind of a 3rd liner, who can be helpful on two top lines. Because he has some skill, he's big and tough, and his skating doesn't suck. He can play along the boards, he can fight for the puck, and he can score from time to time. His IQ isn't bad as well. So if your top 6 need some toughness and grit with some skill, he's exactly the player you need.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I said right after the signing, he's a 3rd liner in the NHL. But he's that kind of a 3rd liner, who can be helpful on two top lines. Because he has some skill, he's big and tough, and his skating doesn't suck. He can play along the boards, he can fight for the puck, and he can score from time to time. His IQ isn't bad as well. So if your top 6 need some toughness and grit with some skill, he's exactly the player you need.

He looks to be exactly what their bottom six has desperately needed for awhile now.

However, they seem to be forcing him on Malkin because hey, Russian.

Penguinzilla*

He looks like a good grinder who is going to put in a few goals (not a ton). Not a good fantasy league player though

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He looks like a good grinder who is going to put in a few goals (not a ton). Not a good fantasy league player though

If the league is fairly deep and has hits and he's playing with Geno, he might be worth a depth spot. That's a lot of ifs, but they aren't impossible. I know he got drafted late in one of my leagues. When you have 12 teams each with 16-17 skaters on their roster, you start looking at bottom 6ers.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't think it's a bad thing to 'force' Plotnikov on Malkin's line. If it gets him acclimated more quickly to the NHL, if it gets him off to a good start in North America, then it'd be worth it imo. It doesn't mean he HAS to stay on the line if he isn't producing.

Besides, Hornqvist doesn't have to be the RW on the line either if the trio isn't working.

Four lines of offense means there will be talent up and down the lineup.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The more Plotnikov plays, the more he kind of reminds me of the 2009 version of Kunitz. His shot maybe isn't as good, but he certainly knows how to play in the corners in the NHL. He's not exactly the same, but there are definitely some similarities. Plotnikov also seems to be picking up some things from Hornqvist, and that's definitely a good thing.

I didn't really know what to expect from him when we first got word that the Pens were signing him, but I've been impressed so far. It certainly doesn't seem like it's taken all that long for him to adjust to NHL-size rinks, at least!

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The more Plotnikov plays, the more he kind of reminds me of the 2009 version of Kunitz. His shot maybe isn't as good, but he certainly knows how to play in the corners in the NHL. He's not exactly the same, but there are definitely some similarities. Plotnikov also seems to be picking up some things from Hornqvist, and that's definitely a good thing.

I didn't really know what to expect from him when we first got word that the Pens were signing him, but I've been impressed so far. It certainly doesn't seem like it's taken all that long for him to adjust to NHL-size rinks, at least!

The biggest thing, to me, is that he's gotten better and better with every game he's played. He's quickly gone from "it'd be nice if he can play in the top 6" to "this is Malkin's LW".

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I'm sure how anyone can say that Plotnikov is "just a third liner." The guy plays hockey the right way; I literally think each shift he has played has been better than the last. I would not be surprised if this guy plots 20-25 goals this season. He plays so very hard as well.

Why is he with Malkin? Because him and Horny are giving Malkin more space to roam than I've seen him have ever in his career. Both allow Malkin to play his game.

Also, while I am on the subject, finally allowing Malkin to penalty kill forces the big horse into the game. He seems to be "on" every game and that is due to linemates and playing in all situations. It only took a decade to use Malkin the way he should be used.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Murray is legit. Definitely gives us options down the road if/when fleury starts to age and loses his cat reflexes.

Not saying we need to replace Fleury, not at all. He was arguably our best performer the last two playoff runs. That said, goalies who rely on reflexes don't age as well in the position. Fleury isn't totally reliant on them, but it is one of his main attributes. Though Bales has introduced much better technique into fleury so we'll see.

Two things goalies can not control as they age, their reflexes, and their eyes. As an old goalie I know this all too well ;)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure how anyone can say that Plotnikov is "just a third liner." The guy plays hockey the right way; I literally think each shift he has played has been better than the last. I would not be surprised if this guy plots 20-25 goals this season. He plays so very hard as well.

Why is he with Malkin? Because him and Horny are giving Malkin more space to roam than I've seen him have ever in his career. Both allow Malkin to play his game.

Also, while I am on the subject, finally allowing Malkin to penalty kill forces the big horse into the game. He seems to be "on" every game and that is due to linemates and playing in all situations. It only took a decade to use Malkin the way he should be used.

Malkin has shown more issues than Adams at clearing pucks he has full possession of.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
he look good last night.....steady improvement....looks like he's ready/ can play in the top six.

I'm not convinced yet, but I like what I've seen from him. I shouldn't be complaining though because while he's 25, it is still like a young kid technically getting a look.

It's more about Perron playing on the third line if Plotnikov wins that spot that has me irate than Plotnikov getting a shot.... If that makes sense.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm not convinced yet, but I like what I've seen from him. I shouldn't be complaining though because while he's 25, is still like a young kid technically getting a look.

It's more about Perron playing on the third line if Plotnikov wins that spot that has me irate than Plotnikov getting a shot.... If that makes sense.

It does, and everything gets back to Kunitz and why we need to trade him (along with Lovejoy) for a useful defenseman and call it a day.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It does, and everything gets back to Kunitz and why we need to trade him (along with Lovejoy) for a useful defenseman and call it a day.

My "forcing" comment was made more out of frustration about the Kunitz/Perron deal than it was about Plotnikov. If he can handle flanking Malkin that would be a huge step for this team.

In the end, Perron or BB will get screwed by Kunitz being in the lineup, so me getting pissed isn't going to change it. Just gotta accept it is happening and try not to ***** about it... much.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Malkin has shown more issues than Adams at clearing pucks he has full possession of.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it's definitely an issue he has to correct if he wants to play PK minutes. He also needs to stop the big looping. Stops and starts on the PK are important. His instincts are very good, but looping hurts your ability to get back in the play.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Yeah who knows but the league I'm in is just for points nothing else so if he plays with Crosby or Malkin he could help me but I doubt he'll put up big numbers. Sounds like he'll be a good player for the Pens though because of his size and toughness.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it's definitely an issue he has to correct if he wants to play PK minutes. He also needs to stop the big looping. Stops and starts on the PK are important. His instincts are very good, but looping hurts your ability to get back in the play.

Agreed, but I'm willing to cut him some slack, as it is pre-season and I can see why a world-class center might not be going all-out on the PK in pre-season. I like to think that if this were the playoffs, and he were PK-ing, that he'd be doing much more start/stopping.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Steve Moses, the "top guy" coming out of the K last summer, was just cut by the Preds. Haven't heard anything about Panarin or Tikhonov either. Plots could have been the steal of the summer.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Steve Moses, the "top guy" coming out of the K last summer, was just cut by the Preds. Haven't heard anything about Panarin or Tikhonov either. Plots could have been the steal of the summer.

I've heard that Tikhonov hasn't impressed the Hawks at all. May even be cut from the roster before season starts.

Panarin has been injured for most of the camp. Should return to practice soon though I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad