Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Sergei Plotnikov (1 year, $925k)

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Malkin has shown more issues than Adams at clearing pucks he has full possession of.

Not true at all... adams once had four consecutive turnovers, and was never a threat to score shorthanded. Malkin always trying to turn the puck the other way for a scoring chance will result in some turnovers, but it also is going to make teams play on their heels rather than just go balls to the walls paired against Adams, Scuds, Sutter, and the other guy du jour who mostly couldnt clear a puck to save their collective lives and created shooting galleries at times. Even when teams didnt score, they got their shots and chances....

Penguinzilla*

If the league is fairly deep and has hits and he's playing with Geno, he might be worth a depth spot. That's a lot of ifs, but they aren't impossible. I know he got drafted late in one of my leagues. When you have 12 teams each with 16-17 skaters on their roster, you start looking at bottom 6ers.

That's true. Especially if he plays with Horny and Malkiny

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I've heard that Tikhonov hasn't impressed the Hawks at all. May even be cut from the roster before season starts.

Panarin has been injured for most of the camp. Should return to practice soon though I believe.

Interesting, I was actually about to go over the Hawks board to see how they were both doing.

I wanted Panarin and Plotnikov in a bad way in the summer. Glad we got one :)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not true at all... adams once had four consecutive turnovers, and was never a threat to score shorthanded. Malkin always trying to turn the puck the other way for a scoring chance will result in some turnovers, but it also is going to make teams play on their heels rather than just go balls to the walls paired against Adams, Scuds, Sutter, and the other guy du jour who mostly couldnt clear a puck to save their collective lives and created shooting galleries at times. Even when teams didnt score, they got their shots and chances....

He needs to pick his spots better. We can't afford turnovers on the PK, especially not in scoring areas.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I've heard that Tikhonov hasn't impressed the Hawks at all. May even be cut from the roster before season starts.

Panarin has been injured for most of the camp. Should return to practice soon though I believe.

Tikhonov played good enough to fulfil 3rd line duties. It's just he didn't play with Malkin and Crosby so his statistics looks worse than Plotnikov's.

As to Moses, he was sent to AHL, as I understand. Nashville fans consider he needs some time to get used to the small ice. And I actually don't see anything surprising that Plotnikov looks more NHL ready than Moses. Big tough forwards who play with grit always take less time to get used to NHL, than small and skilful ones. And Plotnikov was a top forward in the KHL for 3 years, while Moses played there for 1 year. I'm pretty sure if he wasn't American, he wouldn't get invited to the NHL team.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Tikhonov played good enough to fulfil 3rd line duties. It's just he didn't play with Malkin and Crosby so his statistics looks worse than Plotnikov's.

As to Moses, he was sent to AHL, as I understand. Nashville fans consider he needs some time to get used to the small ice. And I actually don't see anything surprising that Plotnikov looks more NHL ready than Moses. Big tough forwards who play with grit always take less time to get used to NHL, than small and skilful ones. And Plotnikov was a top forward in the KHL for 3 years, while Moses played there for 1 year. I'm pretty sure if he wasn't American, he wouldn't get invited to the NHL team.

It goes way beyond who he's playing with. Plotnikov just being on the ice has had a huge impact. I can't find where I read it (thought it was Twitter?) but Plotnikov has been on the ice for 9 of 14 goals for in the games he's played, and only 1 of 15 goals against.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
well, to be fair, scuderi tries to clear it through the crease twice a game on the PP, so its not like this is a Malkin specific problem

I'm pretty sure Scuderi has to use every bit of stickhandling ability simply to make contact with the puck. Where it goes after never enters the equation for him:laugh:.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it's definitely an issue he has to correct if he wants to play PK minutes. He also needs to stop the big looping. Stops and starts on the PK are important. His instincts are very good, but looping hurts your ability to get back in the play.

I noticed that too, but that's always how he killed, going back to Russia. The looping is partially a baiting thing and happens where he's keeping play to the outside. The two bigger things I'm looking at:

1. Is he giving up the clean cross crease ****? He's not.

2. Is he busting the zone too early? He is, and this actually is my biggest concern with him on the PK. He sees one of his guys with the puck and assumes he's going to clear it to space, so he goes. Again, how he did it in Russia with Dave King. IMO, he's got to be a lot more judicious in his choices there. If he's looping but it's with play on the perimeter, then busting the zone on the assumption that a defenseman won't **** up the clear is a bigger concern for me.

That said, I think Richard had a really good point here . . . having Malkin on the PK keeps him into the flow of the game. How many time have you seen a game where he's going then on the bench for 5-6 minutes or more because of multiple PK situations, and he just loses that 'zone' he's in?

I also like Plots with him . . . learned in the same system about killing penalties, so I think they see things developing similarly.

And, last but not least, how many PP goals against has been out there for, because he's been out for two shorties in, what, 3 games.

It's not Malkin specific, but it's one he needs to clean up.

Now that I did see, and you're right. It's going to happen, some clears won't happen. But, you don't want it to become an Adams like habit.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
The thing that stood out to me most about him this preseason was how overblown his skating issues were. I watched him accelerate and attack the puck carrier faster than a lot of guys.

I didn't see him in the khl to know where that talk came from, but it seems like his skating is more than adequate.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The thing that stood out to me most about him this preseason was how overblown his skating issues were. I watched him accelerate and attack the puck carrier faster than a lot of guys.

I didn't see him in the khl to know where that talk came from, but it seems like his skating is more than adequate.

It was the off season of worrying about skating problems that didn't really exist. Plotnikov and Clendening for sure, but Perron became the worst skater ever for awhile

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Plotnikov seems to have pretty decent agility too. He uses his edges well with the puck. I think he'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad