Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Sergei Plotnikov (1 year, $925k)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Plotnikov is going to be all that physical. He was in KHL terms but from what I've heard from someone who really knows his Russians he doesn't have enough strength (yet) to really throw his body around at the NHL level. At least he's bigger than pretty much every other winger we have. But it was more that he was really playing an NA style (going hard to the net, digging for pucks, scoring dirty goals) that made him stand out in Russia. I'ves also been told he has excellent character and is very coachable so I'm sure we'll find a spot for him where he can play his jack of all trades game.
That's the way I see it too. IMO a Malone type without the board play. I think he has to get use to the stop and start game but he's not even that slow. I'm hoping Plots goes to WB, refines his game and comes back midseason.

The K is such a different brand of hockey its crazy. Players can be very good boards and corner men but its considered bad ice so they don't go chasing.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
That's the way I see it too. IMO a Malone type without the board play. I think he has to get use to the stop and start game but he's not even that slow. I'm hoping Plots goes to WB, refines his game and comes back midseason.

The K is such a different brand of hockey its crazy. Players can be very good boards and corner men but its considered bad ice so they don't go chasing.

He has an out clause which allows him to return to Russia of he doesn't play in the NHL. He will not being going to WBS.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

He has an out in his contract where if he doesn't make the NHL team he goes back to the KHL. No way do they send him to the AHL given who else is in the bottom 6.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I'm not sure why you keep saying that about WBS. The dude will just go back to Russia.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Plotnikov is just getting used to playing with this level of player. Granted, we've seen him one time, but I thought he did some things well last night. Strong on his skates and able to shield the puck was the main thing I took away from watching him.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I think Plotnikov is just getting used to playing with this level of player. Granted, we've seen him one time, but I thought he did some things well last night. Strong on his skates and able to shield the puck was the main thing I took away from watching him.

and always went straight to the net, something we've been lacking short of Horn

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It goes for him as well with a lot of other guys, we really need to see how these guys do when the opposition isn't dressing their C team.

Plotnikov looks like he's, at the very least, an NHL'er, which is good.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Seems like the scouting reports were accurate on Plots, ie. a useful third line type player. I'd give him 2 or 3 months on Bonino's wing to get his feet wet, then if injuries hit or one of the top LW's game falls off a cliff again (cough Kunitz) he could be given some spot duty in the top 6 if he can outperform BB for that role.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Seems like the scouting reports were accurate on Plots, ie. a useful third line type player. I'd give him 2 or 3 months on Bonino's wing to get his feet wet, then if injuries hit or one of the top LW's game falls off a cliff again (cough Kunitz) he could be given some spot duty in the top 6 if he can outperform BB for that role.

Yeah that seems about right. He'll still be useful, he's hard to play against, plays a heavy game. Something we need.

Not to mention he's 25, and hopefully getting stronger when some of our old guys are slowing down later in the season.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think he looks like he moves really well. He is really effective turning his back to defenders and protecting the puck. He goes to dirty areas, though I'd like to see him on the cycle more. I don't believe cycling is really something used as much in Europe because of how big the rinks are.

I really think it's a matter of him getting completely adjusted and comfortable here.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Faster than advertised. Last night he was basically just playing positional hockey and getting his bearings.

His straight line speed is faster than I expected. Could use some work stopping and starting. Knows how to use his frame.

Its going to take some time getting used to NA but I like what im seeing early.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
How people were talking about him, I expected his skating to be way more of an issue. I don't think he's any slower than an average NHL skater. I thought he had pretty good mobility too. He's able to quickly turn to protect the puck. I love how he uses his body to protect the puck though - kinda like how Jagr used to do.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Idk, he looked ridiculously slow in that game, practically like he wasn't moving at all.

Is this sarcasm, or are you being serious? I certainly did not think that; I was actually pleasantly surprised with his skating. I wouldn't call him FAST, but given that I had heard a few complain about his skating this summer, I was pleasantly surprised that he seemed to have at least decent wheels...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Is this sarcasm, or are you being serious? I certainly did not think that; I was actually pleasantly surprised with his skating. I wouldn't call him FAST, but given that I had heard a few complain about his skating this summer, I was pleasantly surprised that he seemed to have at least decent wheels...

Sarcasm about the horrible stream.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Sarcasm about the horrible stream.

Oh, got it! ;)

That was the worst stream I've ever seen, but watched the replay later on, on NHL Network. Plots was MUCH faster when watching on NHL Network than he appeared on that frozen "stream" that was available... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad