Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Sergei Plotnikov (1 year, $925k)

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm cautiously optimistic with regard to Plotnikov. I'd love to see him turn into the new Malone for Sid or Geno's line.

When I first read about Plotnikov, he sounded like a Russian Hornqvist. That's obviously the ideal scenario - Malone would be a pretty good outcome also.

We have all spoken of a guy like Jamie McGinn before...if Plotnikov can be that guy, I'll be very satisfied.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
But but but Rossi said Malkin was mad that Plotnikov was brought in and felt it was patronizing.

First thing that went through my mind as well. :laugh:
The guy is so full of ****, it's unbelievable.

Edit: What's also remarkable is that they were teammates at the WCs where Malkin supposedly complained about how unhappy he is in Pittsburgh. Seems like an odd recruiting technique.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
When I first read about Plotnikov, he sounded like a Russian Hornqvist. That's obviously the ideal scenario - Malone would be a pretty good outcome also.

We have all spoken of a guy like Jamie McGinn before...if Plotnikov can be that guy, I'll be very satisfied.

this was also my impression from watching his khl/worlds games over the summer. the way he hustles out there is very hornqvist-esque, and he has a great shot too which horny sometimes doesn't get credit for

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think Hornqvist, Malone ans Fedetenko are all good comparable for Plotnikov. Either way, I'm excited for him. I'm just kinda iffy on Horny and Plotnikov on the same line, it seems redundant.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If Plots can score 10-15 goals while being a two-way demon and physical presence then it's a great signing.

If he does even better than that, it's an absolute steal.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Absolutely. Even if he is just a physical dimension, that's a win for us.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I think Hornqvist, Malone ans Fedetenko are all good comparable for Plotnikov. Either way, I'm excited for him. I'm just kinda iffy on Horny and Plotnikov on the same line, it seems redundant.

it would either be redundant or overwhelming

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I don't think Plotnikov is going to be all that physical. He was in KHL terms but from what I've heard from someone who really knows his Russians he doesn't have enough strength (yet) to really throw his body around at the NHL level. At least he's bigger than pretty much every other winger we have. But it was more that he was really playing an NA style (going hard to the net, digging for pucks, scoring dirty goals) that made him stand out in Russia. I'ves also been told he has excellent character and is very coachable so I'm sure we'll find a spot for him where he can play his jack of all trades game.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I read that he was one of the strongest guys in camp :dunno:

Also from what I read, he has absolutely no idea how to handle defensemen because Olesky was handling him in front.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I read that he was one of the strongest guys in camp :dunno:

Also from what I read, he has absolutely no idea how to handle defensemen because Olesky was handling him in front.

that's something that can be learned. and he has horny to learn it from.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hornqvist is the best thing to happen to Plotnikov and he probably doesn't even know it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I still think its really odd how quiet theyve been about Kunitz. They hardly talk about the guy and hes getting reps with Sid and Kessel. Still hoping hes on his way out and they just want to see what they have in terms of options on LW.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I still think its really odd how quiet theyve been about Kunitz. They hardly talk about the guy and hes getting reps with Sid and Kessel. Still hoping hes on his way out and they just want to see what they have in terms of options on LW.

lbr, they're probably being quiet about Kunitz because his spot is a foregone conclusion. They'll give him every chance in the top 6 and it will take an act of god to permanently get him out of there, if KCK fails then they'll go to KMH and then if that fails probably back to KCK. Eventually he'll go on the 3rd line for a few games until he does something decent and is back in the top 6.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
lbr, they're probably being quiet about Kunitz because his spot is a foregone conclusion. They'll give him every chance in the top 6 and it will take an act of god to permanently get him out of there, if KCK fails then they'll go to KMH and then if that fails probably back to KCK. Eventually he'll go on the 3rd line for a few games until he does something decent and is back in the top 6.

To be fair, Kunitz was demoted last year, albeit briefly, even though there really wasn't a better option. This year, there's a lot more competition. Unless Kunitz performs, and everyone else doesn't, then I don't expect him to have some stranglehold on the spot.

It's also MJ's 2nd year, he knows the personalities in the room more, and Kunitz has less juice since so many faces have changed. It all adds up to less Kunitz, unless of course, he performs.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I get the impression this coaching staff doesn't like him, but just doesn't believe there are better options. I'm not sure that I've heard Johnston say a positive thing about Kunitz since he was hired. They also gave everybody and their mother (well, other than Downie) a chance to steal his job last year.

Unfortunately, the only guy who managed to pull it off promptly had a pulmonary embolism.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

MJ has his faults but Id bet serious money on him giving a spot to Dupuis over Kunitz. He wants speed and energy. That aint Kunitz, not no mo.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
To be fair, Kunitz was demoted last year, albeit briefly, even though there really wasn't a better option. This year, there's a lot more competition. Unless Kunitz performs, and everyone else doesn't, then I don't expect him to have some stranglehold on the spot.

It's also MJ's 2nd year, he knows the personalities in the room more, and Kunitz has less juice since so many faces have changed. It all adds up to less Kunitz, unless of course, he performs.

He still found his way back and was allowed to be god awful without consequences after that. He had a negative impact on Crosby and Malkin's lines whenever he was there and was briefly out of the top 6, not being that negative of an effect should have been his competition. The big thing was how entrenched he was on PP1, too. I don't doubt that Kunitz will get shuffled around when he inevitably can't do what is needed, it's a question of whether or not he ends up in the top 6.

Maybe they're harder on him this season, along with being real with Scuderi and not falling back into the Dupuis worship/delusion. Maybe Johnston feeling more confident lowers the boom, he did have that backhanded compliment for Kunitz last season. I'm a pessimist, but at least that can lead to some nice surprises.

MJ has his faults but Id bet serious money on him giving a spot to Dupuis over Kunitz. He wants speed and energy. That aint Kunitz, not no mo.

They have two top 6 spots and hopefully wouldn't be stupid enough to immediately put Dupuis there. For Dupuis' sake as well as the team's.

Kunitz looked old and slow yesterday when I saw him practicing.

For real?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Platinumovski is the man.

I love it. Rossi throws out garbage theories about Malkin and it turns out Malkin is the one who wanted him here. Why any of you guys still read even one of that incompetent d-bag's tweets or articles, I'll never know. Do you get anything out of it except anger or pity? It's definitely not funny to read his work. Isn't your life too short to help Rob Rossi keep his job? One he richly deserves to lose?

One day you guys who still read his crap "reporting" and occasionally quote and link to his crap, will wake up and see all his off-the-wall quotes and tweets are designed for one thing and one thing only: to get your attention and eyes on his page. He's a whinier, less obese, internet-based version of Madden. There is no substance to any of it; he is a troll at this point and he's winning. So make him lose. Ignore the m**********r.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Platinumovski is the man.

I love it. Rossi throws out garbage theories about Malkin and it turns out Malkin is the one who wanted him here. Why any of you guys still read even one of that incompetent d-bag's tweets or articles, I'll never know. Do you get anything out of it except anger or pity? It's definitely not funny to read his work. Isn't your life too short to help Rob Rossi keep his job? One he richly deserves to lose?

One day you guys who still read his crap "reporting" and occasionally quote and link to his crap, will wake up and see all his off-the-wall quotes and tweets are designed for one thing and one thing only: to get your attention and eyes on his page. He's a whinier, less obese, internet-based version of Madden. There is no substance to any of it; he is a troll at this point and he's winning. So make him lose. Ignore the m**********r.

I have him blocked, so I never know what he writes unless someone here posts it.

Also, Madden at least likes hockey and is mildly entertaining, neither of which can be said about Rossi, so that comparison strikes me as unfair.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
They're both terrible. They just manufacture the terribleness in different ways.
The big thing they have in common, is saying anything to get attention, even if they know it's BS.
I have no respect for anyone who does that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad