Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Oula Palve [1 year ELC]

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I personally like Simon and would keep him. Cheap players who produce points in the bottom six is valuable. Just don't overuse him like Sullivan did. None of us minded Simon on L3 or L4 because he created offense.

Simon has a 0.40 career PPG. at around 12 mins TOI per game.

Not sure why people would just want to dump a decent bottom six player, who is making nothing.

Sullivan is still the coach. That's probably a good part of it.

I like Simon fine, but if Sully's gonna insist on promoting him to Sid's line over McCann like he did these playoffs, I don't know if I want him around either.

Reactions: Trade

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
is that something they actively aim to maintain, or is it just the fact that there are only 11 numbers available higher than 87 and most players use smaller numbers?

It's a rumor that picked up steam when Eric Comrie was assigned #19 instead of his career-long #89. I have a feeling Heinze did it as a sign of respect to Sid, who had no clue until it was brought to his attention down the line and laughed it off. Vokoun wearing 92 makes me think that if it was a thing, it isn't anymore...but who the hell knows?

Looking at some pictures of Palve I'm seeing him wearing 89 (TPS), 11 (HPK), 26 (Jukurit), & 7 (JYP)...so odds are I've spent more time thinking about what number he'll wear than he has. It appears that he's worn a different number with each organization he's been with, so maybe it won't be any of those.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Pronman ranked him the number 3 prospect in the CHL/NCAA/European free agent pool. This was his write up.

“I watched a lot of TPS this season due to that being Kaapo Kakko’s club team, so I had a lot of opportunity to see what Palve can do as one of the top players in Liiga. He’s a high-end playmaker who will be able to move pucks and make plays at the NHL level. He’s an average skater who is fine but not great off the puck, so the question for NHL teams is will Palve be a player you slot lower in your lineup. He’s 27, so I enter his NHL projection with skepticism, but I do see tools that can translate to the top level.”

Agree with everyone else. Free player, good guy to take a chance on.

It's a rumor that picked up steam when Eric Comrie was assigned #19 instead of his career-long #89. I have a feeling Heinze did it as a sign of respect to Sid, who had no clue until it was brought to his attention down the line and laughed it off. Vokoun wearing 92 makes me think that if it was a thing, it isn't anymore...but who the hell knows?

Looking at some pictures of Palve I'm seeing him wearing 89 (TPS), 11 (HPK), 26 (Jukurit), & 7 (JYP)...so odds are I've spent more time thinking about what number he'll wear than he has. It appears that he's worn a different number with each organization he's been with, so maybe it won't be any of those.

I really want a #91 on this team for some reason lol.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I get a solid endorphin rush every time we add a Finn to the organization, so I appreciate the rush as I mourn the inevitable retirement of my Määttä jersey (that I didn't wear all year because he stunk, but that's beside the point).

I know I'm probably the only one that cares about this, but I'm interested to see if the Pens would give him #89 if he sticks with the team. Vokoun broke the precedence of not having a # higher than Sid's on the team, but Vokoun was also a notable veteran. Looking around it seems that he wore 11 with HPK, though, so that's probably the boring answer.

Only four players have worn higher than 87 with Pittsburgh.

Tocchet, Vokoun, Nedved and Morozov

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If Crosby cared about having the highest number on the team he would've picked 98.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Watched a bunch of goals/assists today.
Pronman pretty much said it all.
Good playmaker. Not totally afraid of the blue paint.
Scores/assists alot on the PP.
Should be good for Wilkes at the very least and help thier PP alot.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I, for one, can't wait to see him being misused next season!!!!!!!!

They got this kid to be competition for Blueger, which I can understand, but Blueger has done a load of work to earn a shot on this team, so we got this guy for what? To scratch and then dump him on waivers?

I have a hard time even being remotely hopeful about this signing.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I, for one, can't wait to see him being misused next season!!!!!!!!

They got this kid to be competition for Blueger, which I can understand, but Blueger has done a load of work to earn a shot on this team, so we got this guy for what? To scratch and then dump him on waivers?

I have a hard time even being remotely hopeful about this signing.

From everything people have said he seems like a top 9 or bust kind of player, whereas Blueger can carve out a spot on the 4th line. So fingers crossed if Palve blows everyone away at camp it just moves Blueger to the 4th line (if that's where they don't already see him).

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

I like Simon fine, but if Sully's gonna insist on promoting him to Sid's line over McCann like he did these playoffs, I don't know if I want him around either.

I'm getting off topic here, but this is EXACTLY why I want him gone. I think he can be a decent 4th line player, but yeah you hit the nail on the head.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
From everything people have said he seems like a top 9 or bust kind of player, whereas Blueger can carve out a spot on the 4th line. So fingers crossed if Palve blows everyone away at camp it just moves Blueger to the 4th line (if that's where they don't already see him).
Riikola blew everyone away in camp too and could have been a fantastic option down the stretch if he was sent down the moment the season started and it was obvious he needed to get acclimated more.

Palve is a C from what I have gathered, is he supposed to be a winger too? When you say top 9 or bust, you're assuming a lot there with him unseating Bjugstad as the 3C, for example. But if he's a winger, I might buy that one more.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

McCann was also playing hurt, that could have been a factor into his decision there. I'd prefer McCann on that line to start the season (assuming the roster doesn't change significantly), but I don't mind the playoff decision given the circumstances.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Riikola blew everyone away in camp too and could have been a fantastic option down the stretch if he was sent down the moment the season started and it was obvious he needed to get acclimated more.

Palve is a C from what I have gathered, is he supposed to be a winger too? When you say top 9 or bust, you're assuming a lot there with him unseating Bjugstad as the 3C, for example. But if he's a winger, I might buy that one more.
I think we’ll see significant roster changes. So speculating on where he’ll play is anyone’s guess.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Pronman ranked him the number 3 prospect in the CHL/NCAA/European free agent pool. This was his write up.

“I watched a lot of TPS this season due to that being Kaapo Kakko’s club team, so I had a lot of opportunity to see what Palve can do as one of the top players in Liiga. He’s a high-end playmaker who will be able to move pucks and make plays at the NHL level. He’s an average skater who is fine but not great off the puck, so the question for NHL teams is will Palve be a player you slot lower in your lineup. He’s 27, so I enter his NHL projection with skepticism, but I do see tools that can translate to the top level.”

Agree with everyone else. Free player, good guy to take a chance on.

I really want a #91 on this team for some reason lol.
Interesting signing.

Anyone know who his top 4 or 5 are? I'm curious how he's ranked in context of the others.

I think we’ll see significant roster changes. So speculating on where he’ll play is anyone’s guess.
Obviously Geno's replacement. :help:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Nice punt.
Will add some intrigue to camp, but one assumes he will have to really shine to get a chance right off the bat with our options at C. Probably some grooming in the AHL first unless there are injuries to start the season.
But hopefully he proves better than anything we should be allowed to hope for.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Anyone know who his top 4 or 5 are? I'm curious how he's ranked in context of the others.

Yeah I gotchu

He prefaced it with “For me, the top three prospects have the best chance to be full-time NHL players and are my top tier.

Should note he’s still not crazy high on any of them.

Went ahead and summed up his report under each.

1. Tye Felhaber, LW, Ottawa-OHL
Aug. 5, 1998 | six-foot | 190 pounds

Skilled, fast, good shot, high IQ. Undersized. Signed with Dallas

2. Nico Sturm, C, Clarkson-ECAC
May 3, 1995 | 6-foot-3 | 207 pounds

Big, good skater, high compete, decent hands. Bottom 6 projection. Pro ready. Signed with Minny

3. Oula Palve, C, TPS-Liiga
Feb. 19, 1992 | six-foot | 176 pounds

4. Andrew Shortridge, G, Quinnipiac-ECAC
April 26, 1995 | 6-foot-4 | 185 pounds

Big frame, high end athleticism. Can steal games. Questions decision making and positional play. Signed with SJ

5. Peter Abbandonato, C, Rouyn-Noranda-QMJHL

March 25, 1998 | 5-foot-11 | 192 pounds

Can run your PP. Vision, skill. Skating just okay. Likely an AHLer but hockey sense gives him some upside to be more than that.

Believe Abbandonato is still playing Rimouski in the Q playoffs.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Yeah I gotchu

He prefaced it with “For me, the top three prospects have the best chance to be full-time NHL players and are my top tier.

Should note he’s still not crazy high on any of them.

Went ahead and summed up his report under each.

1. Tye Felhaber, LW, Ottawa-OHL
Aug. 5, 1998 | six-foot | 190 pounds

Skilled, fast, good shot, high IQ. Undersized. Signed with Dallas

2. Nico Sturm, C, Clarkson-ECAC
May 3, 1995 | 6-foot-3 | 207 pounds

Big, good skater, high compete, decent hands. Bottom 6 projection. Pro ready. Signed with Minny

3. Oula Palve, C, TPS-Liiga
Feb. 19, 1992 | six-foot | 176 pounds

4. Andrew Shortridge, G, Quinnipiac-ECAC
April 26, 1995 | 6-foot-4 | 185 pounds

Big frame, high end athleticism. Can steal games. Questions decision making and positional play. Signed with SJ

5. Peter Abbandonato, C, Rouyn-Noranda-QMJHL
March 25, 1998 | 5-foot-11 | 192 pounds

Can run your PP. Vision, skill. Skating just okay. Likely an AHLer but hockey sense gives him some upside to be more than that.

Believe Abbandonato is still playing Rimouski in the Q playoffs.
Thanks for the info.

I was thinking about the article a while back about having a several guys on the radar but only room for a few NHL deals. I wonder if they knew Palve was interested in signing and that's why they only invited Wilkins to dev camp.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad