Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Nathan Legare to an ELC

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There's no "harm" but he's also going to be sitting in the pressbox for all 9 of those games. What's exactly the benefit to keep him up? The Penguins are already scratching Simon or ZAR when everyone is healthy.

He wouldn't necessarily be sitting all of those games. If he's good enough to make the team, they will play him.

But he'd have to be really really good because like you said they're already scratching solid NHL players to begin with.

The odds are against him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Frk. Yeah there’s some similarities but I’m gonna give Legare benefit of the doubt.

I was thinking Teemu "Holy Slapper" Pulkkinen.

There's no "harm" but he's also going to be sitting in the pressbox for all 9 of those games. What's exactly the benefit to keep him up? The Penguins are already scratching Simon or ZAR when everyone is healthy.

I dunno. If they kept him up for the 9 games I imagine they'd play him.

Devil's advocate, the benefit would be walking the walk rather than just talking the talk when it comes to roster decisions being performance-based, at least when there's no long-term consequences like premature waiver eligibility. If some of our depth guys aren't playing to his standard, maybe it would give them a kick in the ass too.

There's definitely the cap to think about though. I don't know how that would work.

I'd much rather not gamble on JR doing something stupid, especially when there's no benefit of Legare even staying up for a 9 game trial.

That is an ever-present danger. One would hope he'd have learned his lesson, but who knows.

Reactions: BHD

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ok, so let’s say they play him for 9 games in the NHL as Sid’s RW and he gets 9 points in 9 games...are you sending him down to Jrs?

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ok, so let’s say they play him for 9 games in the NHL as Sid’s RW and he gets 9 points in 9 games...are you sending down to Jrs?

if he has 9 points in 9 games...hes obviously ready. why would you send anyone back down if they were showing they belong.

you could then trade Hornqvist for a Dman

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yes, because he clearly still has things to work on. Plus it's only a 9 game sample.

Ok...fair enough...let me throw a wrench in the hypothetical...let’s say his 9 points with six goals outpaces every other player and Jake, our next best scorer after Sid and G, goes down with a “week to week” injury...do you feel the same?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Legare were to score 9 points in 9 games, I don't think anyone should have a problem keeping him up.

How many 18 year olds score 9 points in their first 9 games and then bust?

(I realize this is putting the cart so far ahead of the horse that they're in different time zones, but I'll indulge Pens fanfic from time to time)

Reactions: Peat

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Ok...fair enough...let me throw a wrench in the hypothetical...let’s say his 9 points with six goals outpaces every other player and Jake, our next best scorer after Sid and G, goes down with a “week to week” injury...do you feel the same?
It depends on how he looks in those games. If I see aspects in his game that clearly need work, then yes I'd still send him down. If not, then I'd keep him, but that's highly unlikely.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Congrats to the kid!

As for NHL time - lets see where we after the next game. Yes, we're full to the brim, but if the kid is real then we can send Simon/ZAR out for a 3rd/4th no worries and make the space - and that space can exist pretty far up the line up. Is that what's going to happen? Probably not, but there we go.

One minor point against him though is that Sid and Geno don't really need marksmen right now, they need high quality possession merchants.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Congrats to the kid!

As for NHL time - lets see where we after the next game. Yes, we're full to the brim, but if the kid is real then we can send Simon/ZAR out for a 3rd/4th no worries and make the space - and that space can exist pretty far up the line up. Is that what's going to happen? Probably not, but there we go.

One minor point against him though is that Sid and Geno don't really need marksmen right now, they need high quality possession merchants.

I think they could use both, honestly. I feel like there are FAR less quality shooters on this team than everyone assumes.

But yeah... I agree. Plus there are a lot of ways to score goals aside from pretty snipes.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If Legare were to score 9 points in 9 games, I don't think anyone should have a problem keeping him up.

(I realize this is putting the cart so far ahead of the horse that they're in different time zones, but I'll indulge Pens fanfic from time to time)

Bust? No, but sometimes players have unsustainably good or bad streaks. If he gets 9 in 9 and doesn’t look good doing it then you could be pissed because he turns around and does 2 in 15. The last thing anyone wants is for him to eat into his ELC, be a year closer waiver eligibility and a year closer to free agency.

I'm not trying to be an ass but I feel like the fact that Hornqvist can't be traded due to his full NTC this year and next almost needs to be a stickied post.

That and ZAR was the next Hornqvist then it was Bjorkvist. I don’t think any wants Guentzel to get the shit beaten out of him trying to be Hornqvist on pp1 all season. I also doubt he’s going to want to leave because he’s on L3 or L4 all season. It won’t happen because he’ll still get pp time and spend a chunk of the season in the top 6. For all JR has spent on Tanev, he’s going to value Hornqvist’s effort and forecheck.

It’s like hoping JJ wouldn’t report to WBS. Minuscule chances.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Especially if there's almost zero chance Sullivan actually uses him in an offensive role this season. Burning off a year of his ELC already just to see him either play 7 minutes a night on the 4th line or be a healthy scratch most of time would be stupid.
Normally I'd agree with you, but the window is almost closed. Use all of your potential weapons now IMO.
Him burning a year of his ELC won't make any real difference in 3+ years.

With the way we can roll 4 lines this season, it'd be pretty sad to see him only get 7 minutes a night.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think they could use both, honestly. I feel like there are FAR less quality shooters on this team than everyone assumes.

But yeah... I agree. Plus there are a lot of ways to score goals aside from pretty snipes.

But the two quality shooters they've got are with Sid and Geno already. I agree that the team could use more snipers, but not those two lines. I'd love it if the third wheels could snipe more, but it's their puckhound and defensive qualities that are more needed.

Now, if he was left handed and could be put on the third line, I'd be pretty darn interested. But alas he's not.

Also speaking of scoring goals other than snipes - the fact that Jesse has highlighted how much Legare likes to get around the net and use his strength to bang them in while close is one of the reasons I feel pretty good about Legare. He's more than just a sniper.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
He could score 15 in 9 and it would still be the right decision to send him back down.

The season is 82 games long. More often than not, an 18 year old kid will slump back down to a more realistic level after the adrenaline wears off. Then you're stuck with the kid and you burnt a year off of his clock. All of this while he's watching games from up high.

We are deep enough to not need him, and he still has things to work on.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'll run down the street butt ass naked if the kid stays up for 9 games and produces like that.

And even then, I'd still say send him down. This team is plenty deep at F. There is zero reason to burn a year of his ELC. Even if he dominates for all of the 9 games, are we really going to expect an 18 year old to have the stamina to do it in April/beyond?

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

My worry would be he looks good, scores a couple of goals, 4 or 5 points which is enough to keep him here and he hits a wall at game 25/30 and we've started his clock for a hot streak.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
My worry would be he looks good, scores a couple of goals, 4 or 5 points which is enough to keep him here and he hits a wall at game 25/30 and we've started his clock for a hot streak.

If he were to score like that, I'd say thanks but see you next year.

Reactions: wej20

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3